ZYX In The House

Sonny

Re: ZYX In The House
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2013, 02:34 am »
I listened to part of each of those two tube cuts earlier today and figured I had a bad connection or noise on my AC line.  I just revisited and also listened to something else as a reality check.

Trying to be diplomatic, I don't think these cuts are representative of much of anything.  Tuan, please get another digital set-up to record this stuff.

neo

I would love to Neo, but one problem is I don't have the ZYX anymore and so can not do this comparison any longer... and I too wish I had a better video camera..will have to get one soon.

Thanks

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:50 pm »
Sonny,
I don't want to belittle the point but that's an awesome rig you've got there and the clips don't do it justice.

neo

Sonny

« Reply #42 on: 20 Aug 2013, 01:51 pm »
Sonny,
I don't want to belittle the point but that's an awesome rig you've got there and the clips don't do it justice.

neo

Neo, no worries...unlike some of us, I don't have the funds to spend it all my hobbies..I had a better camera, but it was stolen in May when we were burglarized.... I do need to get a better camera though.   :thumb:

J-Pak

« Reply #43 on: 25 Aug 2013, 03:40 pm »
My thought too!  Also, recording it through a Canon camer ELPH 950IS is not ideal either, but you got to play with what you have, right?

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there any tracking performance difference between the Zyx and Shelter?

Sonny

« Reply #44 on: 25 Aug 2013, 04:48 pm »
Is there any tracking performance difference between the Zyx and Shelter?

Too early to tell, with the Zyx, everything being the same, I did have some right channel distortion on some records, but that could be alignment issues, though I did as best I could using the Mint LP.  I have set up the Shelter the same way with the same tool on the same table...but have not had the chance to listen enough to notice...but will keep you updated...

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 25 Aug 2013, 04:50 pm »
Have not ever used a Shelter, but have found the ZYX to be an excellent tracker with my Moerch arm.

bside123

« Reply #46 on: 25 Aug 2013, 05:03 pm »
My experience, thus far, matches roscoeiii... the ZYX is an excellent tracker and QUIET!

Have not ever used a Shelter, but have found the ZYX to be an excellent tracker with my Moerch arm.

J-Pak

« Reply #47 on: 25 Aug 2013, 08:15 pm »
I had a Zyx R50 Bloom. Truly a beautiful sounding cartridge. But it did exhibit some distortion/crackling on the very loud dynamic trumpet and piano attacks on some LPs (especially 45 rpm reissues).

I have always wanted to hear a Shelter.

Sonny

« Reply #48 on: 28 Aug 2013, 04:21 pm »
here's the ZYX airy with Dire Straits:  Will try to get the one with the shelter 7000 to compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da346nmEazA

bside123

More ZYX In The House
« Reply #49 on: 10 Nov 2013, 02:05 am »
Well, I was having such a great time with the ZYX Yatra... that I traded up to one of these: ZYX 4D. Now, this is a whole 'nother ball game altogether. More of everything good in my system. I spent a good part of the last two days dialing in the cartridge. The 4D is more demanding and much more sensitive to every micro adjustment than the Yatra. I'm having a good time with this...  :dance:

ZYX 4D by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

Sonny

« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:35 am »
Din, that looks amazing!  I am sure it sounds amazing as well!
That's quite an upgrade!

bside123

« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:45 am »
Tuan... "sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"

Sounds pretty good too. I am still dialing it into "perfection." I am getting the most slight, and at times almost imperceivable, distortion during very dynamic passages in the right channel. It happens unexpectedly and at random places on different albums. It's gotta somehow be cartridge alignment and tracking, because as the hours go by, with each little micro adjustment I make, it gets better. To really dial this baby in... is going to a lot of patience. It's the most demanding cartridge I've owned and mounted... That being said... I gotta tell you, that it sounds real fine.  :)

Sonny

« Reply #52 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:23 am »
Tuan... "sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"

Sounds pretty good too. I am still dialing it into "perfection." I am getting the most slight, and at times almost imperceivable, distortion during very dynamic passages in the right channel. It happens unexpectedly and at random places on different albums. It's gotta somehow be cartridge alignment and tracking, because as the hours go by, with each little micro adjustment I make, it gets better. To really dial this baby in... is going to a lot of patience. It's the most demanding cartridge I've owned and mounted... That being said... I gotta tell you, that it sounds real fine.  :)

Din, good to hear!  Well, from having a few of VPI's arm from the 9 -12 inch version, I can say that because you have no Anti-skate (AS) adjustment, like I, that's the culprit.  It makes sense as without having fine tune AS, what happens is the arm get's pulled into the inner groove (left channel) then hits that groove, then bounce back out an hits the outer groove (right channel), therefore you Distortion.  Or it can be that you need to increase VTF to help keep it in the grooves.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :thumb: :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #53 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:59 am »
Well, it seems liked I've licked the "phantom" distortion!  8)

It was driving me nuts, as the sibilants and distortion were subtle, unpredictable and inconsistent. Some tracks it did not exist at all... others, the distortion would be in the right channel exclusively only during very dynamic passages, especially with intense vocals. Although, I was careful enough in aligning the cartridge, that the error was infrequent, and most times practically inaudible. BUT, I knew it was there, and could identify it when listening very closely.

I have a JMW 10.5i Tonearm with the Nordost Valhalla wiring. Until tonight, I always used VPI's advice and refrained from using any anti-skate. As you all know, VPI's recommendation is to use NO anti-skate. I've had many very good cartridges and have never had a problem with VPI's approach. Not this time! Problem!

So, I hooked up the anti-skate for the very first time, applied just a little bit of anti-skate force, and voila... problem SOLVED! Balanced.

No more distortion. No more sibilants. All but gone, except for I imagine on a bad pressing or worn out record. Of course, I don't have either of those.  :roll: Apparently, the ZYX 4D is a bit more sensitive and finicky than any of my previous cartridges... at least on my table. In this case, there is no doubt whatsoever that the anti-skate works and is serving well.

Enjoyment factor has now gone way up, and the worry and frustration factor has gone way down. Okay... back to the music!  :o