Urgently need to buy or borrow . .

jimdgoulding

Urgently need to buy or borrow . .
« on: 2 Jul 2013, 09:43 pm »
a medium mass tonearm.  Anyone have one they are not using and might part with?

jimdgoulding

Re: Urgently need to buy or borrow . .
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm »
bump

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2013, 11:53 pm »
Jim

Won't the Sumiko work with the Shelter?

Jack

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2013, 01:17 am »
I managed to mess the connection joint up between the headshell and the arm tube.  I twisted it so tight I had to use some pliers to loosen it up.  Loosened up or twisted the pins out of alignment or something in the headshell or the arm tube.  They don't read each other.  They don't look out of alignment but can't get a sound.  Plus, the headshell rotates about 20 or so degrees when fitted to the arm tube where it didn't before.  The fit is busted.  I can manually align it.  Trust me, I feel like the biggest horses ass on the planet.  I was cooking with gas and got too ambitious and too careless.  I really felt it was a superb match practical and soundwise.   

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can get this looked at I'd be obliged.  I fear I'm royally you know what, tho.  I buy another MMT if I could find one.   Haven't been able to in all the usual places. 

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2013, 01:30 am »
Jim

It appears that the current version of your tone-arm is the Jelco 750D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2013, 01:52 am »
Damn, Jim, that sucks.  :(

Best of luck!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:35 am »
Jim

It appears that the current version of your tone-arm is the Jelco 750D
Thanks, Jack.  I scored one on ebay.

blakep

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2013, 05:00 am »
The Jelco 750D is an excellent arm and better than the MMT, even though both have been manufactured by Jelco (I've owned both and currently run a 750D). The 750D has far superior bearings and internal wiring and also sports a better damped armtube.

It is not, however, a drop in replacement for the MMT. Although they are both "Linn Mount" arms and the 750D's mounting drill out is the same, it's mounting distance and effective length are very different from the MMT. The MMT needs to be mounted at 221.7 mm vs. 214 for the Jelco and effective lengths differ by 10 mm.

So your new 750D will need to be mounted 7.7 mm closer to the spindle.

The Sumiko Premiere FT-3 and FT-4 do share exactly the same geometry and would be direct drop ins for the MMT.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2013, 08:36 am »
Thanks, Blakep.  I figured that out and got the MMT replacement version so I could drop it in my base.  I feel fortunate to having gotten out of this bind for so little.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2013, 02:11 pm »
Glad to see that you found a solution.  Do you have a back up rig to listen to until the new arm arrives? 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2013, 03:57 pm »
Me digital front end and it's given me a chance to listen to some stuff I only have on silver disc.   That part has been nice.

blakep

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:43 pm »
Thanks, Blakep.  I figured that out and got the MMT replacement version so I could drop it in my base.  I feel fortunate to having gotten out of this bind for so little.

Was it the 370H that you purchased Jim?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:56 pm »
Was it the 370H that you purchased Jim?
T'was, yes.

blakep

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2013, 09:58 pm »
T'was, yes.

Excellent. Definitely a high value arm and, as you said, a straight drop in. The weak spot, if there is one, is probably the headshell.

If your old MMT headshell is still useable and has adjustable azimuth, you might consider switching that over to the 370H or, in the absence of doing that, upgrading the headshell on the 370 with one of Jelco's models which does have adjustable azimuth-apart from having the adjustable azimuth they're also just better headshells and you're working with a decent cartridge there.

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2013, 11:59 pm »
Congrats Jim on solving your problem quickly and reasonably.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2013, 02:15 am »
Excellent. Definitely a high value arm and, as you said, a straight drop in. The weak spot, if there is one, is probably the headshell.

If your old MMT headshell is still useable and has adjustable azimuth, you might consider switching that over to the 370H or, in the absence of doing that, upgrading the headshell on the 370 with one of Jelco's models which does have adjustable azimuth-apart from having the adjustable azimuth they're also just better headshells and you're working with a decent cartridge there.
Adjustible azimuth?  How is that accomplished?  What have I been missing?  I have a few headshells around here and am open to suggestion.  The ones that presently house my Shelter and Koetsu cartridges are one piece (that is to say w/o holes) and say Sumiko on them.  Got an old really one piece Lustre that has only one guide on the top of its collar and appears to be made out of metal.  Your reply and thoughts are appreciated.

Plus, thanks, Jack.  Appreciate you.

blakep

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2013, 04:20 am »
Jim: I owned the MMT about 23 years ago so not sure if that headshell in those days had adjustable azimuth.

However, the current Sumiko headshell, along with the Jelco HS 25 and LP Gear Zupreme (which are essentially the same headshell and have the fingerlift attached to the side of the headshell) are all very high quality headshells (I believe they are magnesium but don't quote me on that  :lol:) which have dual guides (one on top and one on the bottom of the collar for more secure attachment) as well as an allen key "adjuster" at the lower right side of the headshell to loosen, rotate and then re-tighten when locked into best position for correct azimuth, which is very visible in the photos on the link I've attached (expand picture 2 of 4 in the link!) to rotate the headshell to dial in azimuth.

You get a very solid bang for your buck with these headshells (with the exception perhaps of the Sumiko which is pricier and inferior at the same time) in terms of the dual pins, adjustable azimuth and superior overall quality of materials.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1219896&image=522664640&images=522664672,522664640,522664604,522664547&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JELCO-HEADSHELL-FOR-TONEARMS-INC-SME-JELCO-MANY-TURNTABLES-BRONZE-HEAD-SHELL-/181107699590?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item2a2adc2f86

Check your existing Sumiko headshell to see if it has this feature!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2013, 07:16 pm »
A quality pic of my ole table:

As you can see looking at the mounting plate, I could have likely managed the more expensive Jelco but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dough.   

Yes, regards my headshells, and thanks for your reply.  I really do appreciate your time and expertise.  I will use to balance azimuth.  I've cleaned the metal, waxed the wood base, secured up the nuts and bolts and now I'm just waiting on the replacement arm.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2013, 08:35 pm by jimdgoulding »

Grbluen

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm »
A quality pic of my ole table:

As you can see looking at the mounting plate, I could have likely managed the more expensive Jelco but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dough.   

Yes, regards my headshells, and thanks for your reply.  I really do appreciate your time and expertise.  I will use to balance azimuth.  I've cleaned the metal, waxed the wood base, secured up the nuts and bolts and now I'm just waiting on the replacement arm.
Your ole table is drop-dead gorgeous!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2013, 01:28 am »

Well, this isn't going smoothly.  In the first pic of the outgoing arm you can see there is a 5 pin receptacle that was married to my tonearm cable, but in the pic just below of the replacement arm (same arm, later model) you can see there are a bunch of fine wires.  What am I expected to do with those cause I dunno?

In the next pic you can see the collar and the screws for holding the arm post in place, but in the pic just below of the replacement arm you can see none.  On the inside of the collar there are two tiny smooth ends of what would have been tightening screws (but are pins or something that don't move) and I gather that I am supposed to manually pressure the arm post inside the collar and by rotating it with constant pressure applied and the ends of the pins will make grooves to allow the arm post to descend to the VTA angle I want.  Or, should I just stuff the mutha in there and push and pull for the VTA that I want?  Any of that make any sense?

Man, I'm dazed and confused.  Thanks for your help in advance.