Fer F sake 28's

drummermitchell

Fer F sake 28's
« on: 29 Jun 2013, 07:53 pm »
I swear or perhaps I should,had my 28's sent for rca input repairs+remove power line indicator and blue led's installed.
Just unboxed one amp,STILL HAS THE GREEN LED qadpkuhqwuydehq09de87rghqwe9.
If I send them back it's gonna cost 3-400 because its not a warranty issue.
That's why I wanted it all done together to save a few dollars :roll:.

Robert D

Re: Fer F sake 28's
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2013, 09:03 pm »
Sorry to hear the News Buddy ... Watchhaa Gonna do

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2013, 09:44 pm »
Dunno $347.87 later

spinner

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm »
Man, that sucks big time :evil:

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:21 am »
Definitely sucks.
Going to send them back with the note I sent before about what was to be repaired and REPLACED.
Didn't know that shipping was that expensive@347.87 one way :o..
I'll see if I get charged the same again.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:47 am »
Hi,

Why not request a pair of LED's and have a local technician install it for you.  Should not cost much money at all.  Try shipping a pair of speakers from the US to Australia.  Another $1200US in extra costs.

Cheers Rod

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:03 am »
drummermitchell, if you are going to send the amps in again, be sure to securely tape a note to the top of the amp detailing what you want done.
Print the note in BOLD FACE TYPE. You might also tape a copy the note to the bottom of the chassis as well. This also should be done if you take it to a local technician.
  A note in the box isn't good eneough, the pertinent information needs to be in front of the technician doing the work, don't rely on multiple middle-men to accurately transmit this critical data.
Scotty

WireNut

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:50 am »

I heard that. I was floored after finding out that shipping my two box preamp to Canada and back from Ohio was going to cost $800 to $1000 for UPS, Fedex, or DHL ground depending on if I wanted it insured or not.  :wtf: Because of that, I'll probably never buy any equipment built outside of the US again, new or used. I ended up getting it fixed locally for $250 and it works great.

Your situation has taught me a good lessen. If I ever have to get something repaired again I think I'll request a list of repairs completed to be emailed to me before returning.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out.

WN

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2013, 05:04 am »
I swear or perhaps I should,had my 28's sent for rca input repairs+remove power line indicator and blue led's installed.
Just unboxed one amp,STILL HAS THE GREEN LED qadpkuhqwuydehq09de87rghqwe9.
If I send them back it's gonna cost 3-400 because its not a warranty issue.
That's why I wanted it all done together to save a few dollars :roll:.

This does not inspire confidence...

D.D.

klao

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2013, 08:30 am »
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that, drummermitchell.   :(

mv038856

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:24 am »
Definitely sucks.
Going to send them back with the note I sent before about what was to be repaired and REPLACED.
I'll see if I get charged the same again.

Well,

you have my sympathies with the $$ shipping of heavy items can cost.

In general, there are several options:

- not ship it to Cananda, but Bryston's US service center to save on shipping as international shipping tends to be more expensive than domestic
- not going to the UPS shop next door... they often charge higher prices than the carrier itself or make their margin on expensive non-carrier insurance options. I found there are online service providers that have high shipping volumes with individual carriers and correspondingly huge rebates on the standard shipping prices. Being based in Germany, I acquired a used 6B SST from Indonesia a couple of weeks ago. The carrier's quote was $1,430, as the seller showed me through screenshots of the carrier's web site quote. Online, I found a German service provider that used the same carrier. Having the same parcel picked up by the same carrier in Indonesia, using their volume pricing, it was less than 400 EUR, which translates into ~$520, meaning a saving of more than 60% @ the same carrier/quality.

In your specific case there are two additional options:
1. If Bryston really forgot to exchange the LEDs altough there clearly was a request to do it, I would approach Bryston to discuss the available options. I am actually wondering why you bring this issue up here in the forum instead of approaching Bryston directly, if there was indeed an arrangement to exchange them.
2. I haven't disassembled a 28B SST yet (don't have one... ;-) ), but I have exchanged a number of front panels, as a lot of the used Bryston stuff that went through my home theater/stereo setup, happend to be the "wrong" color. The LEDs mostly resided on a separate PCB that was mounted to the front panel. The PCB was connected to the main PCB using a plug. Therefore exchanging it should be fairly simple to do. You might confirm the approach und discuss your options regarding this with Bryston. Maybe they can arrange a PCB exchange at you local dealer, if you don't feel comfortable to do it yourself.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

Markus

mv038856

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:37 am »
Because of that, I'll probably never buy any equipment built outside of the US again, new or used.

Well, if you rather do without some of the greatest gear out there, thus severly limiting the options available to you, you might well stick to US stuff exclusively... not my cup of tea.

Being German, I rather take international shipping into account (the German Bryston distributor is based in Vienna, Austria), than abstain from the unique Bryston flavor.

But which ones are really "built" in the US??

But again, why not use the manufacturer's US service center instead? Then it does not make a difference where the stuff has been built or where the company's headquarters are.

Markus

PRELUDE

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2013, 01:54 pm »
Well, if you rather do without some of the greatest gear out there, thus severly limiting the options available to you, you might well stick to US stuff exclusively... not my cup of tea.

Being German, I rather take international shipping into account (the German Bryston distributor is based in Vienna, Austria), than abstain from the unique Bryston flavor.

But which ones are really "built" in the US??

But again, why not use the manufacturer's US service center instead? Then it does not make a difference where the stuff has been built or where the company's headquarters are.

Markus
So far the best post in this thread.
Agreed 100% :thumb: :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:42 pm »
Bryston US is in Newport VT, send an email to usaser@bryston.com, I recently did and got a quick response.

Gene

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:55 pm »
I am actually in Canada(Alberta)
Bryston did fix some issues but forgot one(LED's).
Disappointed in the fact that I talked to Mike about what I wanted done and the two issues I had,plus I had written a note also of what I had discussed.
Just thought I could do it all in one shot without having to ship them over and over again, now it'll be close to 700 for something that could have been done one time.
Personally besides calling bryston about this(which I will)this is a Bryston site and there is JT who is here everyday so I feel this is a good place to vent

WireNut

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:04 pm »

Markus

The manufacturer (not Bryston) is only based in Canada and has no authorized US repair facilities. That was the first thing looked into.
You've brought up a good point. If I ever purchase a piece of equipment built outside of the US again I'll look to see if that company has an authorized US repair facility. That would open up some doors.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:19 pm »
  Hey Man shit happens. Obviously it was an oversight. Yes a bummer for you about shipping costs, however maybe contacting Bryston first for a solution might have been prudent. My 2 cents.

charles

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:27 pm »
I am actually in Canada(Alberta)
Bryston did fix some issues but forgot one(LED's).
Disappointed in the fact that I talked to Mike about what I wanted done and the two issues I had,plus I had written a note also of what I had discussed.
Just thought I could do it all in one shot without having to ship them over and over again, now it'll be close to 700 for something that could have been done one time.
Personally besides calling bryston about this(which I will)this is a Bryston site and there is JT who is here everyday so I feel this is a good place to vent

Hi Don

I would contact Mike as it appears to be our fault.

james

SHV

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2013, 07:41 pm »
" The manufacturer (not Bryston) is only based in Canada and has no authorized US repair facilities."
James will correct me if I'm not accurate  but  my experience with Bryston repair in the US,the gear is sent to the Bryston facility in VT.  Analog products are/may be repaired there, digital equipment is transported across the border by Bryston to Canada and then shipped back to the owner.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2013, 08:13 pm »
" The manufacturer (not Bryston) is only based in Canada and has no authorized US repair facilities."
James will correct me if I'm not accurate  but  my experience with Bryston repair in the US,the gear is sent to the Bryston facility in VT.  Analog products are/may be repaired there, digital equipment is transported across the border by Bryston to Canada and then shipped back to the owner.

Steve

Correct - depending on the issue some digital gear comes back to Canada - but with the free trade agreements between the US and Canada that is not an issue.

james