Any Way to Make BDP-2 Plug and Play?

budcook

Any Way to Make BDP-2 Plug and Play?
« on: 16 Jun 2013, 05:40 pm »
My wife wouldn't/couldn't deal with operating the BDP-2 either with her computer or with the buttons on the faceplate.  Is there any way the BDP-2 could be set up to preload something so all she has to do is turn it on, wait until it's loaded and operate it from that point on using the BR-2 remote?

How about a default playlist or some default input such as the internal SATA drive?

Bud

zuluwarrior0760

Re: Any Way to Make BDP-2 Plug and Play?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2013, 06:39 pm »
I would recommend you install a 256g internal sata harddrive (10 minute procedure, youtube video covers it)
load it up with all the music she likes through your network (you do it so she doesn't have to)
and then the harddrive becomes her domain while thumb drives are yours......

show her how to control the bdp2 through the MPAD application on an ipad.......
it is a lot more intuitive than maxx or trying to load music on the bdp2 itself.....

My wife is NOT computer friendly NOR stereo friendly, but I've come home multiple times
to find the big rig on playing stuff on the harddrive because she knows how to operate
an Ipad just fine.......

Alternatively, you could have one of the usb slots loaded with a drive of her name, so she
could navigate to it easily in the MPAD app......

budcook

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2013, 06:47 pm »
I would recommend you install a 256g internal sata harddrive (10 minute procedure, youtube video covers it)
load it up with all the music she likes through your network (you do it so she doesn't have to)
and then the harddrive becomes her domain while thumb drives are yours......

show her how to control the bdp2 through the MPAD application on an ipad.......
it is a lot more intuitive than maxx or trying to load music on the bdp2 itself.....

My wife is NOT computer friendly NOR stereo friendly, but I've come home multiple times
to find the big rig on playing stuff on the harddrive because she knows how to operate
an Ipad just fine.......

Alternatively, you could have one of the usb slots loaded with a drive of her name, so she
could navigate to it easily in the MPAD app......
I already have a flash drive with her music on it.  I'll just rename it.  I also need to have a look at MPAD.

As for the SATA drive, I haven't been able to find a T8 Torx drive that works to open up the BDP-2.  What I've tried could do more damage to the screws than good.

What do you recommend?  I've got a spare SSD I'd like to put in there.

Bud

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2013, 07:20 pm »
"I also need to have a look at MPAD."
MPad is the way to go.  Convenient and easy to use.  My primary reason for getting a BDP was to organize and simplify my digiital music collection and the BDP and MPAD does that.

Steve

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2013, 09:15 pm »
I determined that the T8 Torx drive is mandatory.

I found one at Home Depot in a set of others......
trying to shove corresponding size allens in there
because you don't wanna drive will eat the metal
away, you are correct :)

I'm sure Amazon sells it if you don't have HD or Lowes close by....
Bryston should bundle it in the box since virtually everyone
with a BDP2 will eventually get an SSD.  Be sure to format
the SSD before installing to FAT, the Bryston does not do it automatically......
There's a great youtube video online for drive installation instructions.....
that I followed.  I have over 40 albums on that drive in the last week.

Mpad is not perfect.....nothing's as slick as itunes.....album art will drive you
nuts, some doesn't show, but in terms of ease of use, it's something
your wife will get the hang of.....

budcook

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2013, 09:30 pm »
I determined that the T8 Torx drive is mandatory.

I found one at Home Depot in a set of others......
trying to shove corresponding size allens in there
because you don't wanna drive will eat the metal
away, you are correct :)

I'm sure Amazon sells it if you don't have HD or Lowes close by....
Bryston should bundle it in the box since virtually everyone
with a BDP2 will eventually get an SSD.  Be sure to format
the SSD before installing to FAT, the Bryston does not do it automatically......
There's a great youtube video online for drive installation instructions.....
that I followed.  I have over 40 albums on that drive in the last week.

Mpad is not perfect.....nothing's as slick as itunes.....album art will drive you
nuts, some doesn't show, but in terms of ease of use, it's something
your wife will get the hang of.....
Actually, I've bought two T8 bit devices but neither gave me enough torque to loosen the screws.  I need one with a regular screw driver handle.  T8 seems to be an odd size.  Most kits go up to T6 or start at T10.  Sears have both T6 and T10 but no T8 Torx screwdrivers.  I bought a T10 to open up my 4BSST2 and that worked great.

I couldn't find something good at Home Depot and didn't see anything on Amazon. 

I agree that Bryston should either supply one with the BDP-n or specify exactly what to get.

I think my wife may do better with my MacBook Pro.  She gets along OK with the iPad but OS/X is easier to deal with.

Bud 

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm »
here is the one I got, worked great......there was one screw I had to really get some weight
behind, but overall, worked just fine.......

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-IN-1-Torx-Screwdriver-Set-74502/100087664#product_description

As to OSX versus Ipad on MPAD, unless the Macbook has a touch screen, I can't imagine any circumstance
where that app would be less trouble to navigate on a laptop versus the slick touch screen interface of
an Ipad.  I would never dream of giving my wife a MacBook to navigate her library on.......she already
thinks mice and micepads should be in Antique Malls.....

budcook

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:38 am »
here is the one I got, worked great......there was one screw I had to really get some weight

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-IN-1-Torx-Screwdriver-Set-74502/100087664#product_description

As to OSX versus Ipad on MPAD, unless the Macbook has a touch screen, I can't imagine any circumstance
where that app would be less trouble to navigate on a laptop versus the slick touch screen interface of
an Ipad.  I would never dream of giving my wife a MacBook to navigate her library on.......she already
thinks mice and micepads should be in Antique Malls.....
I have that same Torx set and after trying it with one screw, I decided it wouldn't work for me.  I don't want to take a chance on messing up a screw.

I want to try to find a full sized screwdriver like the one I have for a T10 Torx.

As for the iPad.  I use a Mac Pro and an MBP to handle the BDP-2.  Mouse with one and a scroll pad with the other.  No problem.

My wife has an iMac and an iPad. She uses an Apple wireless keyboard with the iPad.

Bud

SHV

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2013, 02:48 am »
I have 2 Mac Book Pros and an I-Pad with the MPad app sitting on a coffee table in front of me and 9 out of 10 times I will pick up the I-Pad to control the BDP.

Steve

budcook

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:14 am »
I have MAX2 running on the iPad but I haven't got MPad to work yet. 

I think the original idea of giving a USB drive a recognizable name and using the controls on the face panel may be the simplest solution for my wife.  She just likes to have music playing when she's doing something else so this approach will work fine.  I've been streaming music from iTunes to the BDA-2 and that keeps her happy.

She has no trouble playing CD's on the BCD-1. Everything feeds the BDA-2 so it's just a matter of telling her which input to select on the BDA-2.  Press buttons until one turns green :green:

Bud

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:25 am »
I have MAX2 running on the iPad but I haven't got MPad to work yet. 

I think the original idea of giving a USB drive a recognizable name and using the controls on the face panel may be the simplest solution for my wife.  She just likes to have music playing when she's doing something else so this approach will work fine.  I've been streaming music from iTunes to the BDA-2 and that keeps her happy.

She has no trouble playing CD's on the BCD-1. Everything feeds the BDA-2 so it's just a matter of telling her which input to select on the BDA-2.  Press buttons until one turns green :green:

Bud

Sadly the BDP prevents the auto configuration with mPod/mPad, otherwise you probably would have been up and running.   My other MPD players don't have a problem with that.

I still keep the Apple TV around for those unable/willing to use the stereo. 

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:43 am »
as long as yer ipad is on the wifi, you should be able to just add server once and never have
to repeat.  it is under the bullseye.  just like maxx put in:

bryston-BDP-2.local

that should have you up and running.  stick with it, mpad is worth it.....

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:48 pm »

That is the same screwdriver I used.  It worked well, but you will need to hold it firmly and push down to break lose the screw without stripping it.  The reason it is so difficult is because a dab of Loctite is applied to the screws.  After they are broken free the first time, there are no issues doing so again in the future.

It would be nice to have a Torx screwdriver included with the BDP-2.  I have a pretty decent set of tools, but still needed to buy one just for the install of the SSD.

budcook

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2013, 02:46 pm »
as long as yer ipad is on the wifi, you should be able to just add server once and never have
to repeat.  it is under the bullseye.  just like maxx put in:

bryston-BDP-2.local

that should have you up and running.  stick with it, mpad is worth it.....
I'd done that.  It shows up as a configured device but not connected.  I can easily get to MAX2.

I appreciate everyone's help but it's dawned on me that I can set up the BCP-2 so my wife only has to push four buttons to start playing a dedicated USB device.

I'm going to forget about using the iPad. 

Bud

budcook

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2013, 03:00 pm »
That is the same screwdriver I used.  It worked well, but you will need to hold it firmly and push down to break lose the screw without stripping it.  The reason it is so difficult is because a dab of Loctite is applied to the screws.  After they are broken free the first time, there are no issues doing so again in the future.

It would be nice to have a Torx screwdriver included with the BDP-2.  I have a pretty decent set of tools, but still needed to buy one just for the install of the SSD.
I can't get a firm enough grip on that small handle.  I have a full sized Craftsman T10 driver and it works beautifully on my amp.  They don't make it in a T8 but that's the kind of driver I'm looking for.

I'm afraid I'll mess up a screw unless I can get something that I can manage to remove it.  I have plenty of USB options with the BDP-2 so adding a SATA drive isn't critical.

Bud

lossless

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2013, 05:13 pm »
Put a vice grip on the handle to get a better grip on the tool.

budcook

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:51 pm »
Put a vice grip on the handle to get a better grip on the tool.
I'll give it a try.  I have the BDP-2 in a stack of Bryston components and I don't want to un-cable everything right now. 

Bud

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2013, 08:24 pm »
Just laying it on the carpet, with me sitting beside it, I busted all the screws top and side out
without any hint of stripping any metal.  There was one torxscrew that didn't want to break loose
but even that one didn't have the bit spinning.........I just had to get up over it and put some
downward pressure on it and it busted loose and came out just fine......there was not a hint
of damage........I didn't have to resort to vice grips..etc.....

There's a plate inside where the harddrive sits that must come out, those torx screws are on bottom....

The ESATA cable is already in the unit ready to plug into the new drive......you'll have to hold
the unit on it's side and position the drive where the holes reveal to the underside and then
torx away on them..........with the dinky driver.........but you will get it in with far less force than
taking out.......

budcook

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2013, 08:47 pm »
Just laying it on the carpet, with me sitting beside it, I busted all the screws top and side out
without any hint of stripping any metal.  There was one torxscrew that didn't want to break loose
but even that one didn't have the bit spinning.........I just had to get up over it and put some
downward pressure on it and it busted loose and came out just fine......there was not a hint
of damage........I didn't have to resort to vice grips..etc.....

There's a plate inside where the harddrive sits that must come out, those torx screws are on bottom....

The ESATA cable is already in the unit ready to plug into the new drive......you'll have to hold
the unit on it's side and position the drive where the holes reveal to the underside and then
torx away on them..........with the dinky driver.........but you will get it in with far less force than
taking out.......
I'm ordering a BIT 5 and when it arrives, I'll have to un-cable everything.  When I do, I'll work on those screws.  I've watched the video about installing the SATA drive and it's no problem for me.

Bud

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:11 am »
I can't get a firm enough grip on that small handle.  I have a full sized Craftsman T10 driver and it works beautifully on my amp.  They don't make it in a T8 but that's the kind of driver I'm looking for.

I'm afraid I'll mess up a screw unless I can get something that I can manage to remove it.  I have plenty of USB options with the BDP-2 so adding a SATA drive isn't critical.

Bud

Here are a couple more options.  Had I noticed these first, I would have bought them in lieu of the precision screwdriver.

A great multi-bit screwdriver that should handle any job.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Magnetic-Screwdriver-with-32-Bit-Set-32510/100648026#.UcEe1JzNnsI

If you have a full size handle, but need the bits.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-32-Piece-Tamperproof-Bit-Set-32525/100647923?keyword=32525#.UcEg-5zNnsI

Personally, I would get the one with the handle for the extra $7.45.

I hope this helps.