BIT-5 vs BIT-15

budcook

BIT-5 vs BIT-15
« on: 11 Jun 2013, 04:37 pm »
I have 5 Bryston front-end components (preamp, DAC, CD Player, Headphone Amp and digital music player).  Limited to these components, could the BIT-5 provide the same audible advantages as a BIT-15? 

Bud

SHV

Re: BIT-5 vs BIT-15
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:04 pm »
I have 5 Bryston front-end components (preamp, DAC, CD Player, Headphone Amp and digital music player).  Limited to these components, could the BIT-5 provide the same audible advantages as a BIT-15? 

Bud

I don't want to start a flame war :>) but I don't think a 5, 15 or 20 will improve the performance of your front end components, unless your incoming AC is truly horrible.  I bought my BIT-20 primarily for component protection, elimination of ground loops and possible improvement of my older SST amps.  It's cosmetics also matches my other Bryston gear. :>)

Steve

budcook

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:27 pm »
I don't want to start a flame war :>) but I don't think a 5, 15 or 20 will improve the performance of your front end components, unless your incoming AC is truly horrible.  I bought my BIT-20 primarily for component protection, elimination of ground loops and possible improvement of my older SST amps.  It's cosmetics also matches my other Bryston gear. :>)

Steve
Right now I have everything plugged into a power strip.  A BIT IS-5 would clean things up cosmetically and I thought it might offer some improvement in headphone imaging.

Bud

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:40 pm »
My bottom line for getting a BIT was isolation and protection.  I live in an area with many electrical storms and power fluctuations.  I had read several anecdotal accounts of Torus/BIT systems protecting gear in severe surge situations despite failure of other surge protection.  James Tanner has mentioned in the past that a BIT may improve the performance of amps prior to the SST2s.   There are probably less expensive hardware options but the BIT does look good. :>

Steve

budcook

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:52 pm »
My bottom line for getting a BIT was isolation and protection.  I live in an area with many electrical storms and power fluctuations.  I had read several anecdotal accounts of Torus/BIT systems protecting gear in severe surge situations despite failure of other surge protection.  James Tanner has mentioned in the past that a BIT may improve the performance of amps prior to the SST2s.   There are probably less expensive hardware options but the BIT does look good. :>

Steve
I suspect that if improving performance is my primary motivation, I could do better spending money somewhere else. 

I have six brand new Bryston components connected by Cardas Clear and Clear Light cables so I'm not sure where I'd spend it.  I did order Mye stands for my Maggie 1.7's which should have a big impact for not much money.

Bud

Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:08 pm »
If you are primarily looking for surge protection you may want to look at Zero Surge.  James Tanner recommended them to me and I believe they are the surge protectors used in the BIT series, or that is my recollection.  They have several different models in 2-10 outlet configurations.  I purchased the top model with six outlets and I want to say the cost was about $250.  Because it is a filter design (vs. MOV) they also claim it will clean up the power.  The link is below.  I keep my amp plugged right into the wall, thought it sounded better but very small differences, if any.  Bryston amps are pretty robust and I think they will take a pretty good hit without issues.  Until recently I don't think they recommended the use of a power conditioner but designs and times change.

http://www.zerosurge.com

Good Listening,
Mike

budcook

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:12 pm »
If you are primarily looking for surge protection you may want to look at Zero Surge.  James Tanner recommended them to me and I believe they are the surge protectors used in the BIT series, or that is my recollection.  They have several different models in 2-10 outlet configurations.  I purchased the top model with six outlets and I want to say the cost was about $250.  Because it is a filter design (vs. MOV) they also claim it will clean up the power.  The link is below.

http://www.zerosurge.com

Good Listening,
Mike
No, I'm not concerned about protection.  I live in the desert where we haven't much to worry about.  It's convenience and performance I'm primarily interested in.

Bud

tim92gts

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:21 am »
No, I'm not concerned about protection.  I live in the desert where we haven't much to worry about.  It's convenience and performance I'm primarily interested in.

Bud

i wasn't either, then we had a nearly direct lightning strike. Bit of a pop and crackle, one phase weakened and our earth burnt.
All sorted ok but now i use good surge protection.
Tim

budcook

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2013, 02:23 pm »
i wasn't either, then we had a nearly direct lightning strike. Bit of a pop and crackle, one phase weakened and our earth burnt.
All sorted ok but now i use good surge protection.
Tim
So the question remains, does the BIT-5 equal the BIT-15 in all respects except in the difference in the ability to handle heavier loads.  I guess the question should include surge protection as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2013, 02:41 pm »
So the question remains, does the BIT-5 equal the BIT-15 in all respects except in the difference in the ability to handle heavier loads.  I guess the question should include surge protection as well.

Hi,

Yes the size of the isolation transformer is the only difference between the BIT 5, BIT 15 and BIT 20.

james

budcook

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2013, 02:51 pm »
Hi,

Yes the size of the isolation transformer is the only difference between the BIT 5, BIT 15 and BIT 20.

james
Thanks James.

adol290

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:15 pm »

I had a Torus RM-15 and Torus RM-20 Balanced unit.

FWIW I did noticed a very small difference in the sound stage in the RM-20. I was very slightly more open, but you
 really had to listen for it.

I now own 2 Torus RM-20 Balanced units, and would not trade them in. My system is dead quiet, and
 I prefer the sound of my amps plugged into the TORUS, as opposed to plugged into the wall.

budcook

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:20 pm »
I had a Torus RM-15 and Torus RM-20 Balanced unit.

FWIW I did noticed a very small difference in the sound stage in the RM-20. I was very slightly more open, but you
 really had to listen for it.

I now own 2 Torus RM-20 Balanced units, and would not trade them in. My system is dead quiet, and
 I prefer the sound of my amps plugged into the TORUS, as opposed to plugged into the wall.
Thanks.  Have you any experience with how front end units might be affected?  Units such as preamps, DACs, etc.

Bud

adol290

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:50 pm »
All of my bryston stuff SP3, BDP-2, BDA-2 are plugged into the Torus.

I actually have not done any listening tests between them plugged into the wall vs the torus.

I just assumed that the sound would be affected positively, like the Amps were.

budcook

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:07 pm »
All of my bryston stuff SP3, BDP-2, BDA-2 are plugged into the Torus.

I actually have not done any listening tests between them plugged into the wall vs the torus.

I just assumed that the sound would be affected positively, like the Amps were.
One thing I haven't mentioned is that I have a lot of money invested in headphone use.  Everything would be plugged into the FIT including the BHA-1 amp.  I suspect that if I can hear some improvement in sound, this is where I'd hear it.

Bud

werd

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:32 pm »
Using an rm 20 balanced. I have my front end into the Torus and my 14B into the wall on a different circuit. I
also use a transformer passive and it offers excellent isolation between the front end and amp. There is literally no electrical connection between the two since the transformers offer such excellent isolation. The volume control sits in between both transformers and its isolated also.

Just another way of using a bit 20 balanced unit.

SHV

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2013, 06:43 pm »
I would be interested in hearing an opinion from James or one of the Bryston engineers.  Seems to me that a lot of the cost of Bryston gear is related to their compulsive attention to power supply hardware.  If, as I believe, a Bryston power supply section is "over designed", how does adding another transformer in the system improve "sound quality".

Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2013, 06:24 pm »
Surprised nobody's responded to the above Q :scratch:.,as its a great question.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2013, 06:34 pm »
Hi

The transformers in the amplifiers being overbuilt is a function of suppling current and voltage to the load (speaker).  The transformer in the BIT is between the audio gear and the wall socket.

The BIT ISOLATES the outside power grid from the inside power grid.   There is no 'Series' connection  between the outside world and the inside world.  The audio gear is working off the huge magnetic field between the primary and the secondard windings in Bryston BIT.

james

SHV

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2013, 07:45 pm »
Hi

The transformers in the amplifiers being overbuilt is a function of suppling current and voltage to the load (speaker).  The transformer in the BIT is between the audio gear and the wall socket.

The BIT ISOLATES the outside power grid from the inside power grid.   There is no 'Series' connection  between the outside world and the inside world.  The audio gear is working off the huge magnetic field between the primary and the secondard windings in Bryston BIT.

james

Does that improve the "function" of "front end" components?  I also remember that you made a comment that a BIT might improve the function of pre-SST2 amplifiers but not SST2 series because of their improved power supplies.  Is that still the case?

Steve