BIT-5 vs BIT-15

bjski

Re: BIT-5 vs BIT-15
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2013, 08:42 pm »
I plug all my equipment into the Bit 20 which includes my 7BSST/2. I know with the (2) series you don't need to plug the amps into the Bit. I do it for piece of mind. My power here is terrible. The power can fluctuate between 125 volts and 102 volts. In the summer I would never turn on my 2 channel system because of the power problems I do now.
My home theater was destroyed by a power surge. I now have a torus connected to the home theater along with a 9BSST/2.
The sonic benefits of the Bit 20 were immediately noticed. The background noise was gone. I didn't  think there was any noise until I listen to my system with the Bit in it.The bit brought all the music more into focus. Scary quite between songs and everything became tighter. It was like finding the right cables for your system. I didn't think it could improve my system but it did.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:23 pm »
Does that improve the "function" of "front end" components?  I also remember that you made a comment that a BIT might improve the function of pre-SST2 amplifiers but not SST2 series because of their improved power supplies.  Is that still the case?

Steve

Hi Steve

The large amplifiers like the 7B SST2, 14B and 28B have transformers designed for them based on what we learned developing the BIT products. So I feel the BIT is not necessarily required for them other than the surge protection and noise elimination it would provide. In fact it is one of the reasons we only offer the BIT products up to 20 amp versions now rather than the larger amperage (40, 60' 100 amp) Torus units we use to offer because they are not needed with our larger amplifiers with the newer style transformers.

As for the Bryston source gear it runs Class A so it is not asking for huge transient surges of current. Where I think the BIT helps is in the isolation of all the crap on the typical power line from affecting the power supplies and circuitry in the source components. Digital gear seems more susceptible to this garbage. The other advantage is the surge protection of course of all your source gear.

drummermitchell

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2013, 10:21 pm »
Since I have the older 28's :( :D,I checked on getting the new trans and caps and it seems the chassis is different now so for me it was a no go.
But I have a 20a and 60a Torus,so things are excellent.
I do have to say last year I believe, when I had 4XJL F-113's(two for HT and two for 2 channel),two were into the Torus and two were not.
We had a thunder storm come thru and the two subs that were not plugged into the Torus died,the other two nothing happened.
The 60 runs the 28's and a 7B-sst+the 1812 sub,the 20a runs a 4B-sst +7 components and the projector.
I wouldn't be without the Torus for a second as it seems digital is quite sensitive to surges,storms ect.
The subs I bought were used,so no warranty and from the US,so it would have cost me a 1000.00 to ship one to be repaired.
It was actually a blessing in that when I heard the 1812 at one of my dealers,I had to have it.
He even drove it to my home 3hr round trip to do a home audition.
Best sub I've heard to date so far as the JL's sounded like car subs in comparison.
Anyway the Torus(s) are staying right here unless they come out with something that makes a bigger impact.

budcook

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2013, 08:19 pm »
Does that improve the "function" of "front end" components?  I also remember that you made a comment that a BIT might improve the function of pre-SST2 amplifiers but not SST2 series because of their improved power supplies.  Is that still the case?

Steve
I'd like to piggy back on these questions and find out if it would make a difference if the power cable for the BIT-n was upgraded and if a 4BSST2 was plugged into a BIT-n, an improved power cable (sans noise filter) for the amp would help?

brucek

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2013, 08:35 pm »
Quote from: drummermitchell
We had a thunder storm come thru and the two subs that were not plugged into the Torus died,the other two nothing happened.

Local surge protection should be second order to whole house protection provided at the panel.

I would suggest looking into installing whole house surge protection at your service panel.

brucek