Versalex squash ball modification

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Versalex squash ball modification
« on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:40 pm »
Hi Guys.

I constructed a record cabinet at the weekend out if 3/4" oak veneered MDF. I had enough material left to construct a set of sub tables for my rack so went ahead. Needing 4 feet per board I decided to follow the squash ball foot philosophy. Rather than seek out something like the short tubes that hold the balls on the deck I decided to cut the balls in half and glue to each other and onto the boards, under compression, with contact adhesive. This in effect creates a harder compound.

To the listening...  I heard what I perceived as a nice overall benefit in sound at this point. But the magic moment came when just out of curiosity I decided to try the deck without its squash balls but sat on the sub frame as per picture. I have been taken a back by the improvement. As differences can sometimes be confused with improvement I threw all sorts of music at it. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Miles Davis, Haydn Piano Trios and all. The sound appears more vivid and detailed yet without any semblance of increased hardness or aggression. I don't understand the science behind what I hear but my system sounds fantastic.

threadkiller

Re: Versalex squash ball modification
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2013, 01:47 am »
Can't see why not...what you've sort of recreated is the original Amadeus set up, where it had conical feet and sat on an isolation platform with small squishy pucks under that.  Just as musical as the present squash ball affair... Nice wood...

rob400

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2013, 05:08 am »
Can't see why not...what you've sort of recreated is the original Amadeus set up, where it had conical feet and sat on an isolation platform with small squishy pucks under that.  Just as musical as the present squash ball affair.

I wasn't aware of that Charlie. The change in sound is obvious and for the better IMO. I think the harder rubber created by doubling and glueing together the cut in half squash balls may be at the foot of the improvement. Like the record cabinet (mine holds 1000 albums) all cheap as chips to make as well. Anyone interested in making there own I'm happy to advise.

SteevA

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm »
Might look to experimenting along those lines when I build my wall shelf/box for the tt, DPS and phono stage.

Steve

rob400

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm »
Might look to experimenting along those lines when I build my wall shelf/box for the tt, DPS and phono stage.

Steve

I can highly recommend it without a caveat Steve. More open, detailed and dynamic sound to my ears.

Plink

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2013, 02:56 pm »
Thanks for the idea Rob.  I will try it at some point.

I place my WTA on a on ikea lack tabletop on my rack.  The ikea lack table top sits on isolation pads.  Clearly an improvement over directly on the rack even though my system is in a basement and no worry about footfalls and such,

rob400

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
Thanks for the idea Rob.  I will try it at some point.

I place my WTA on a on ikea lack tabletop on my rack.  The ikea lack table top sits on isolation pads.  Clearly an improvement over directly on the rack even though my system is in a basement and no worry about footfalls and such,

Hi Plink.

You have an easy way to almost duplicate my top. All you need is 4 squash balls and a tube of contact adhesive. The tricky part is the adhesion of balls to board whilst creating the similar amount of squash that the weight of your deck would create and evenly across the 4 feet.  I used 3 glass sheets that formed part of my old rack to apply the pressure until the contact adhesive set. As a bonus Im hoping the double thickness of rubber will negate the dreaded sag (particularly back left corner) which normally occurs with standard arrangement.  Just listened to Muddy Waters Folk Singer a brilliant blues album but usually slightly "shouty" on some of his vocal surges. Now less so and Muddy appears to have moved to a studio twice as big. Earlier Stevie Ray's Tin Pan Alley was ridiculously good. What a guitarist he was! Good stuff.

rob400

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2013, 09:01 am »
By way of follow up my Versalex had sprung a silicone leak so earlier this week my dealer replaced the arm cup. Whilst I was there my dealer, his employee and myself did a comprehensive dem of my platform under the deck. He sits his dem equipment on basic IKEA racks. The conclusions were...

With the squash balls fitted to the deck the sound was definately better without platform. That combination exhibited over damping characteristics. The comparison between deck with balls on IKEA against my version on platform without feet on IKEA was lengthy. We tried several albums back and forth. In the end the employee and myself had a preference for my set up. We felt that the sound had more solidity, was bigger spatially and the frequency extremes were more controlled and extended. My dealer accepted some of this but prefered his standard set up. He thought it had more emotional communication especially on vocals and timed better. I'm going to live with both versions for a week just to confirm my views.

By way of post script we used a system identical to mine bar a DVHX100 power amp instead of my more modest Densen B310. Suffice to say that I will own the DV within the next couple of months. It's a fabulous amp.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:35 pm »
Hi Rob,
Yes, the new Dynavector amp is a doozey.  I always complained the previous HX1.2 was dry sounding.  Not the new 100. 

rob400

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:48 pm »
Hi Rob,
Yes, the new Dynavector amp is a doozey.  I always complained the previous HX1.2 was dry sounding.  Not the new 100.

Absolutely Charlie. I'm really looking forward to owning it. Interestingly my dealer said that he has been told that the Symmetrex mod to the LTD doesn't provide an improvement in sound quality and as you thought the DPS isn't a real improvement over the standard one that Pear Audio supply in the UK but is better than the Wall Mart version you guys in the US get. I've worked out that my dealer likes a more raw sound to my slightly more refined preferance but don't think he'd turn down the chance to sell me a DPS if it was worthwhile to me.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2013, 08:52 pm »
I have seen/heard what dear St John Burns furnishes... It works better with Naim and British mains than the Opera supplied one.  Although it's not as good as the DPS, at least with US power.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2013, 09:45 pm »
Rather than using squash balls, I'd use Sorbothane Hemisphere Bumpers.
I also use them under units that have hard drives, DVD players or sometimes fans.

part #35-264
http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomechanics/optical-breadboard-components-laboratory-tables/laboratory-tables-breadboards/sorbothane-mounts/1618

rob400

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2013, 09:56 am »
Rather than using squash balls, I'd use Sorbothane Hemisphere Bumpers.

Bought a set as I have a spare board so will give them a go and report back.

SteevA

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:39 am »
By way of post script we used a system identical to mine bar a DVHX100 power amp instead of my more modest Densen B310. Suffice to say that I will own the DV within the next couple of months. It's a fabulous amp.
Have just ordered one myself.  Auditioned it against a Naim NAP300 and a pair of Pure Audio Class A mono blocks.  The Pure Audios would have won but for their inability to achieve total mastery of bass through my rather difficult speakers pushing them down to the bottom of the list.

Steve

rob400

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2013, 04:57 am »
Have just ordered one myself.  Auditioned it against a Naim NAP300 and a pair of Pure Audio Class A mono blocks.  The Pure Audios would have won but for their inability to achieve total mastery of bass through my rather difficult speakers pushing them down to the bottom of the list.

Not surprised that you plumped for the HX100 Steve. I would choose it with an L300 mk2 over a 552/500 or a top valve amp that I have auditioned. To me the DV combi just seems to find that middle ground better than any other Ive heard. It sounds dynamic with excellent control without sounding too dry and hard but still having nice warmth and very open. Enjoy!

SteevA

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2013, 09:08 am »
Once I have it in place and have got used to it I will audition the L300 against the 52.

Steve

rob400

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2013, 02:02 pm »
Once I have it in place and have got used to it I will audition the L300 against the 52.

Take your bank card  :D

doak

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2013, 03:52 pm »
Did several variations on the move/remove the squash balls mod with my WTA and am back to where I've been for a while and arrived at after much experimentation -- WTA with squash balls sitting on a cherry butcher block which is on cork/rubber "isoblocks".  The supporting shelf is MDF damped with 2 layers of Dynamat, the shelf is situated on Edensound Bearpaw Jrs threaded into the top of a mass loaded Atlantic Technologies stand coupled to the concrete slab with 6 brass cones. 

This setup - so far - offers the best balance of sound for me.  No,,it does not sound at all "dead."     8)   

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2013, 04:36 pm »
Looks good....Crazy Pierre would be pleased....

mick wolfe

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2013, 04:43 pm »
This has done the trick for me. Double maple butcher blocks seperated by 4 mouse pads. The bottom butcher block has adjustable spikes. All sits on a steel/maple custom made rack which is in turn spiked to a concrete floor.