Versalex squash ball modification

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Versalex squash ball modification
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2013, 07:09 pm »
Interesting that both Doak and Mick have used metal spikes in there respective arrangements. I feel my system sound benefited from eliminating all metal (and glass) from my rack. Your pics have given me an idea though.....

doak

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:39 pm »
Interesting that both Doak and Mick have used metal spikes in there respective arrangements. I feel my system sound benefited from eliminating all metal (and glass) from my rack. Your pics have given me an idea though.....

Would never use JUST metal spikes, but in concert w/elastomer isolation it seems to be "OK."

Doak

mick wolfe

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:56 pm »

Rob,
         The WTA just sitting on a the single " spiked " butcher block didn't cut it.  That's when a second butcher block was added separated by the 4 mouse pads. Makes for a much more "isolated from the environment" presentation.....yet musically lively. I agree with Doak. Not a big fan of spikes under components.....speaker stands, yes. My initial goal was to make leveling the WTA a simple , quick procedure. Just so happened that I had several pairs of threaded spikes handy at the time. The second butcher block and mouse pads effectively take the harshness associated with spiking out of play.

rob400

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:10 pm »
Rob,
         The WTA just sitting on a the single " spiked " butcher block didn't cut it.  That's when a second butcher block was added separated by the 4 mouse pads. Makes for a much more "isolated from the environment" presentation.....yet musically lively. I agree with Doak. Not a big fan of spikes under components.....speaker stands, yes. My initial goal was to make leveling the WTA a simple , quick procedure. Just so happened that I had several pairs of threaded spikes handy at the time. The second butcher block and mouse pads effectively take the harshness associated with spiking out of play.

Thanks Mike.
I've just tryed a set up similar to yours but with oak veneered MDF. The bottom shelf is supported by chrome finished brass spikes into cups the top shelf with small sorbetone cones and I have refitted the squash balls onto the Versalex. Only two hours listening so far but it sounds truly excellent! I'll post the pic.

rob400

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:13 pm »

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:47 pm »
Glad this is working out for you. Time will tell of course, but I think you'll find the presentation quieter/ more refined with your smaller top shelf "deadened" a bit ( as you've done ). The key is to get a quieter, more refined presentation while retaining a lifelike musical presence. Some fiddling may be required, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

doak

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:08 pm »
My initial goal was to make leveling the WTA a simple , quick procedure. Just so happened that I had several pairs of threaded spikes handy at the time.

Precisely why I use the threaded spikes (upward pointing) under my supporting shelf. 

Doak

rob400

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jun 2013, 06:40 am »
Thanks to Mick and Doak

rob400

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:47 pm »

For those following this thread I thought I'd post my conclusions. Special thanks to Mick Wolfe for his PM's.

Having tryed around six permutations of the sandwich platform my tweaking is over. I ended up with a clear preference for the one in the attached photo. Versalex without balls sat on 1/2" oak veneered MDF board with cut in half squash balls (not doubled) which sits on a 1" oak board with oak coned feet. Superb sound. Clean, open, detailed, warm and rhythmic. On a differant type of rack I can appreciate that the results might be differant but metal spikes just don't work well with my deck even two layers down. I also feel that anymore than one layer of rubber just takes away that sparkle. Just listened to Sonny Rollins Way Out West and it was amazing! Enjoy your music guys.