Super MMGs

pansixt

Re: Super MMGs
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2013, 06:01 am »
I bought my MMG's within the last few months and fall into the "upgrade option" category, where I can move up to the next highest in the product line.
Which in my belief until now would be 1.7's.

Hell, I haven't even gotten mine where I want them (mostly my room/amplification), but they are as broken in as they will get for now.

Super MMG's? I might could add a bass panel. No way would I afford to spring for two bass panels.
Most Maggie owners seem to think that a quality sub will give me as much/or more to compliment the planars.

If there is truly an improvement in the electronics or the whole build, then I might consider an upgrade option to the "Supers". If that is even an upgrade option???

Sending my (reasonably broken-in) speakers back to Magnepan to receive just new speakers, and only adding a bass panel. NOT.

This is all so vague. Hello (Maggie) McFly. More info would be appreciated.

Gunning my MMG's if PG will still do them is looking more and more like the way to go. And that option is far from certain now. What is a mother to do?

I know I am not alone......The voices in my head tell me that :lol:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 16 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm »
If you have the space and the extra pennies 1.7s would be the way to go.
That holds true for all of their models up to the 20.7s. 
If you can swing it and have a large enough room, go for it!

More info will come about, it's just going to take a little bit.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2013, 06:44 pm »
Ok... I need some help understanding here....they have the NEW MMG for ...600.00 and NOW the SUPER MMG for 1195.00 with ONE bass panel...add another for ....600.00 more....sooooo... the question is...why can't us Older MMG owner be able to buy the DWM for 600.00? greg

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:23 am »
A bit more information should be forthcoming tomorrow.
Don't forget that Wendell has a life outside of work (inconsiderate of him but true nonetheless).

pansixt

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2013, 03:51 am »
All good things are worth waiting for.

I hope I am not wrong.

RedGarterless, I am Happy with my Planars. As they are. But it can always be better. Or can It?

BTW Ford, I don't believe the Switzerland vacation thing.  :wink:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:44 am »
The secret is out - Hef lent me the jet full of cast-off bunnies.
Wendell was with his wife and a minivan full of speakers.

I was just trying to make him feel good for having such a thankless gig.

Maybe more info tomorrow as I spent most of the day playing telephone tag with Wendell.
They've got our breaks and lunches timed to the second at work thanks to our computer system.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 09:03 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:28 pm »
Here's as much as you'll know until next month's TAS comes out as I haven't heard them.
I boiled it down into interview format and paraphrased somewhat:

The Super MMG is a system just like the Mini Maggie System; the speakers will not be available by themselves because it's all designed to work together. 
The Super MMG system was designed for people who have more than $600 to spend (or have a larger room) but don't have a dealer within a reasonable driving distance so that they can listen to a pair of 1.7s.  It's a small enough product to be mail ordered without the shipping costs being exorbitant.  It also affords flexibility with regards to room size as you can add a second DMW for additional bass.

Is this system better than the MMGs? 
Yes.

Is this system better than the 1.7s?
No.  If it was we'd discontinue the 1.7s and offer a less expensive product.

Will this system work better than regular MMGs and a DMW will?
Yes.

Do you get a discount if you recently bought MMGs?
No. 

What was changed to make this system work together?
Proprietary info.

What gives it better bass, midrange and treble than the regular MMG/DMW combo?
Non ya.  If you disagree, send them back and we'll refund your money less shipping.

Here's their marketing philosophy:
We would rather undersell the product and over deliver.
Do we want you to upgrade or pressure you to upgrade?
No.  Do it when you're ready.
If you've modified your MMGs to the hilt, you're probably best off staying with what you've got.
We would rather have you happy with your speakers than have you feel that we've pressured you into doing something.

So there you have it, I hope this helps.
Their website will be updated after a bit.  Bear in mind that they're not a gigantic corporation so sometimes things can take a little bit.
From reading this synopsis I guess you can see why I like Wendell.  He's a tough fellow to interview, though! 
Me:  Let me try putting this another way...
Me:  Perhaps I'm not getting my point across...
Me:  Allow me to rephrase the question...

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm by SteveFord »

Paddlefoot

« Reply #47 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:39 am »
Thank you Steve and Josh for your help...that was great info to have....decistions..decistions ...Lawd..

MGbert

« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2013, 02:10 am »
@pansixt:

Please check your messages.

Carry on, everyone else!   :thumb:

MGbert

Paddlefoot

« Reply #49 on: 22 Jun 2013, 08:58 pm »
After much chating...and bitchin....we did some looking and measuring...we found a pristine pair of 1.6 s for good money...5 years old...perfect in every way....they now belong to me..making great music...thanks to all for all of your advice and insight...we have bought our last pair of speakers....very happy..:-) Greg

josh358

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2013, 09:03 pm »
Hey Greg, congrats!

Paddlefoot

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2013, 09:38 pm »
Hey Josh...we were lucky to find them....about 30 miles away...the guy wife wanted to move them out...he had some Paradigms and was happy with those over the Maggies...he bought these from adealer here before the dealer went under about 5 years ago....I bought a pair of these in 2001 or so...I had them underpowered.. The reason I so them..:(... But I have enough juice for them now.... I really like what I am hearing from them. We have some room treatments in here ...some corner traps from Acoustimac.... Not sure what else we need... But sound is much improved over the MMG.... Especially the bass... Much deeper and the tones of the drums are just want I was looking for...I am a pro drummer too... All in all ..I am a happy clam

josh358

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm »
Try diffusers on the first reflection points behind the speakers -- that's the point at which you'd see the speakers in a mirror from your listening seat. That's the most popular treatment with dipoles and in the absence of confounding factors, it's often all you want (besides bass trapping, which is always desirable).

Paddlefoot

« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm »
Josh...do you have an affordable diffuser you could recommend ?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:10 am »
Congrats - I loved my 1.6s when I had them, they were just great in the upstairs room.

pansixt

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:11 am »
Try diffusers on the first reflection points behind the speakers -- that's the point at which you'd see the speakers in a mirror from your listening seat. That's the most popular treatment with dipoles and in the absence of confounding factors, it's often all you want (besides bass trapping, which is always desirable).

Good to have a first step Josh. After I move/remove some furniture, I will try the simplest, most obvious steps such as you described plus bringing them out
from the wall (back or front/) behind the Planars.

What about some serious plants behind as diffusion? 

Wait I saw some nice tall bushy plants at the Nursery or even Homey Depot or Lowes, and for the money one could probably purchase actual diffusers.
Nonetheless, P'Foots question stands.

josh358

« Reply #56 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:13 am »
Josh...do you have an affordable diffuser you could recommend ?
Check out GIK. Also, if you really want to do it on the cheap, there are QRD calculators online -- you can make them out of wood or even styrofoam.

josh358

« Reply #57 on: 24 Jun 2013, 12:15 am »
Good to have a first step Josh. After I move/remove some furniture, I will try the simplest, most obvious steps such as you described plus bringing them out
from the wall (back or front/) behind the Planars.

What about some serious plants behind as diffusion? 

Wait I saw some nice tall bushy plants at the Nursery or even Homey Depot or Lowes, and for the money one could probably purchase actual diffusers.
Nonetheless, P'Foots question stands.
Ficus plants behind planars are an old trick. I don't think it would equal the performance of a real QRD diffuser, though.

Maritan

« Reply #58 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:23 am »
SRL acoustics - http://www.srlacoustics.com/

Great personal service. Good product too. I bought two pairs recently. 23 prime diffuser constructed from high density styrofoam. Shipped about a week after I placed the order, and arrived safe and sound. The owner, Allen, then called and followed up with me to make sure I was happy with the product and provided some tips on how best to use them too.

No affiliation with SRL, except as a satisfied customer.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 19 Jul 2013, 09:01 pm »
I was just busting Wendell's you know whats about this product being sold under the counter with info being doled out on a need to know basis.
I guess I'm inside the Circle of Trust as go here
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

and hit Refresh on your browser and there it is.
Has anybody heard these?