Super MMGs

wagnju

Re: Super MMGs
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:14 pm »
Any news about availablity of the Super MMG's ?
I'm ready to try and start my Magnepan adventure  :green: I have never tested planar speakers but these are really tempting  :drool:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:59 pm »
I'm considering, too, tho the 1.7's are more to my liking.  I can't get a good demo locally (Houston, TX) so I may drive to Austin, TX in the next few days.   Wouldn't mind testing that vehicle you have in your avatar, either.  Cheers.

wagnju

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2013, 05:46 pm »
I can't get a good demo in Kansas City either  :scratch:

I would like to have the car in my avatar in reality , its a Wiesman Roadster , made in Germany with the underpinning of a 3-series BMW , but Oh well , $95,000  :roll:

I guess the Super MMG would be more in my price range , I mean pay class . I'm hoping that they are a little bit smaller than the 1.7 ???

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm »
Perhaps I can find out a bit for you but they should be the same size as the unsuper MMGs like I have.

Here is what I know thanks to Wendell who was gracious enough to answer me even though he's on vacation.  Something about jet setting about and skiing in the Alps with a bevy of Playboy bunnies.  I'm not quite sure as I think he dropped his cell phone in the hot tub.

The rationale behind the Super MMG deal is for people who have more than $600 to spend yet live too far away from the nearest dealer to hear a set of 1.7s.
They're done dealer direct (just like the other in home trial offers) and are $1199 with one bass panel, $1750 with two bass panels.
I believe that these are the regular MMGs with a DMW or two for added bass/mid bass reinforcement.
This sounds like the Mini Maggie System for Ogres to me which is a good thing - it will sound very good and will do a better job at filling a room with sound than the Minis will.
Hope this helps.

P.S.
I'm familiar with this set up, it can be quite addicting.
Don't forget that the DMW is basically a chunk of 20.7 with some electronics in it. 
The voices are coming from where?  It's that kind of sound.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2013, 01:50 am by SteveFord »

wagnju

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2013, 02:45 am »
I think that's what I'm maybe looking for .
Let me know when I can order them before I order a set of KEF LS 50  :roll: :scratch:
Also I first want to know what the difference between the MMG and the super MMG is . Sounds just like a package deal so far for a pair of MMG with an additional DWM bass panel  ???
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2013, 08:02 pm by wagnju »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:34 am »
They're available right now.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm »
Jeremy Clarkson loved the Weismann Roadster, calling it “a '60s throwback without the '60s drawbacks”. $95,000 doesn't buy any frills at all, and I love that about it – just a pure sports car, which also happens to be a fine roadster (a great combo).

The MMG/DWM is another great combo, and it's actually affordable. :D

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2013, 06:41 pm »
I believe that these are the regular MMGs with a DMW or two for added bass/mid bass reinforcement.

Ok - now I'm confused again. Does the super mmg = mmg + dwm (with package discount) or not?  If magnepan for some reason is not willing to clarify what the super mmg is on their website or press release, I'm gonna guess that it is. Which is ok - just stop farting around. Is really too much to ask that a company announces a new / super version of one of their most famous products, actually explain what mAkes it new / super? So annoying.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2013, 07:09 pm »
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/05/26/newport-news-super-mmg-a-note-from-magnepan/

"So, what does the Super MMG have to offer over the New MMG? Well….. better bass, mid-range and highs. "

From what it says here, it looks to be a bass panel + upgraded MMGs.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2013, 08:23 pm »
I wonder if with two bass panels the MMG's could be stacked.  Are the dwm's the same width as the MMG's?  Guess that might involve making a frame :dunno:  Ideas?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:19 pm »
They have a small staff and their marketing maven (Wendell) is on vacation following the recent audio show which is why the web site isn't updated.
The DMWs are not the same width as the MMGs.

I could not get a straight answer out of Wendell as to any upgrades done to their recently improved MMG but I gave it the old college try.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2013, 03:29 am »
I wonder if with two bass panels the MMG's could be stacked.  Are the dwm's the same width as the MMG's?  Guess that might involve making a frame :dunno:  Ideas?

Oh hell, your question snagged me - interesting idea. I hate that I always seem to show the ugly side of these (the fronts actually do look nice), but it works a treat in the tight space in which I have them (now, especially (it's a very old photo)).

The frames would have to be a bit different, but the DWM was designed to work in the footwell of a desk...hmmm.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2013, 07:31 am »
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/06/t-h-e-show-newport-beach-2013-best-show/

What I suspected as time went by, different crossovers to make it a seamless package.

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2013, 08:51 am by SteveFord »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm »
Thanks for that link, Steve!

. . . and now for "full disclosure". . . anyone at the show able to report on what gear they had driving the speakers?  Was it something in line price-point wise with the speakers or the comparatively stratospheric Bryston gear as at RMAF last year?

I was very glad to read (unless something was missing) that they ran the demo without a center channel speaker as well.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm »

Davey

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm »
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/06/t-h-e-show-newport-beach-2013-best-show/

What I suspected as time went by, different crossovers to make it a seamless package.

It still doesn't make much sense.  :)  The MMG crossover is much too high of frequency that "tweaking" it would facilitate mating to a woofer system.  However, if by "tweaking" they're including the "new" crossover between main/sub, then I guess it's sort of believable.

I wish folks would ask the right (informed) questions at these audio shows so the answers might be a little more revealing.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:10 pm »
Dave, I can speak in particular in the case of Magnepan with first-hand experience, even with the "right" questions, getting "answers" is not as easy as it sounds.  Some companies like to get into the nuts-and-bolts with their customers.  Others. . . not so much.

Thanks again, Steve!  The amp is getting in the right neighborhood, but the processor is still a little steep, I think.  Getting closer to (a realistic) target though.  Good on them!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:30 pm »
Indeed, so can I. in my case, a very direct question received a misleading answer which cost me (a not insignificant amount of) money. In the end, I'm not upset (I feel like I got a bargain, regardless) and I understand their approach, but it is frustrating. It would be nice if Magnepan would disclose some details.

Davey

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:48 pm »
Dave, I can speak in particular in the case of Magnepan with first-hand experience, even with the "right" questions, getting "answers" is not as easy as it sounds.  Some companies like to get into the nuts-and-bolts with their customers.  Others. . . not so much.

Yeah, I hear ya.  :)
However, at least for me, I think it would help to minimize some of the voodoo in this crazy industry if manufacturers would be more straightforward/forthcoming with specific technical information for products.  I can understand why this might not be appropriate for commodity type products, but more "specialized" products like Magnepan's, I think, could benefit from a more transparent approach.

Even the name of these MMG's ("Super") is rather silly.  Why not "turbo?"  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jun 2013, 07:24 pm »
When I ask the question about us older MMG owners ...what should we do...just buy the DWM...or sell the older system and buy the Super MMG...the answer I got kinda wishy washy....I ask if there much difference between the new MMG and the old one in SQ...her reply was maybe under the right condition ...with the right gear you might hear something...my guess is they changed to a better cap and that's it.....I am going to buy a DWM and hook it up to my MMG and be done with it. They don't offer a discount to older MMG owners...some details would have to come from them as to why the Super MMG is better...than a older MMG with the DWM...just sayin...my money doesn't grow on trees.