Firestorm spark plugs by Robert Krupa

JohnR

Re: Firestorm spark plugs by Robert Krupa
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2013, 02:20 pm »
That's interesting, their site claims over 5:1 cost per mile advantage compared to a petrol (inefficient one though :lol: ) car.

What about batteries? How long do they last?

roscoeiii

« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2013, 02:22 pm »

Marvel Mystery Oil - Crazy stuff works in every car tried (in gas tank).  Smoothest running engine always on MMO - even wife notices. When my main engine seals went on my old SAAB at 12 years and 90,000 miles....my long time SAAB mechanic said you could eat off the innards of my engine.....he had never seen any motor look like that at 90,000 miles.  Mileage benefits seem to be on the order of 2-3% consistently thru the years

So you are largely using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank? Or both in the gas and when you change your oil?

How frequently do you add it to your gas tank?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2013, 02:57 pm »

His version goes 250miles between fill-ups - the recharging is either free (at TESLA superchanger stations) or nearly so (at home, etc).  If battery technology gets a little better or TESLA starts offering hot-swapped, fully charged battery service (it's coming)...they'll be little reason to consider anything else at the higher price points for cars.

I'm saving up my pennies (my partner tends to spend more freely than me and doesn't have a kid) :)

I'd agree the technology is coming, and with time the cost will come down, but imo the 'hot swap' on the battery is a must for general acceptance (&/or major advance in battery technology). If one only drives in town, or around the area moderately the 250 mi limit is fine. But 250 mi won't get me from Seattle to Spokane, and overnight layovers for recharge adds what will generally be considered unacceptable cost and delays. Back in the day I made several trips from Indy to C. Springs, roughly 1200 miles, and while not recommended my best time was around 20 hrs. Wouldn't do that now, but worst case cruising & sightseeing it should still only be a 2 day trip, not 4-5. That's the general complaint I hear from folks about the technology.

Then there's the difficulty of a dual stereo system. One to make exterior auto noises so folks know you are coming, which is acoustically isolated from the interior system for your music.  :D  There have been a few spots on the local news about folks (mostly jaywalkers) who have stepped out in front of electrics because they didn't hear them coming.

It's going to be interesting to see how things develop in the next 5-10 years.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2013, 02:59 pm »
So you are largely using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank? Or both in the gas and when you change your oil?

How frequently do you add it to your gas tank?

I've used in for 20 years....always in the gas tank.  I tried in the crankcase and noticed no benefit. 

4-6oz per 15 gallons of gas....to make it more cost effective, I add every other tankful.  It seems to have a positive effect for about that long, then dissipates (in terms of motor smoothness and I assume protection of some sort)

JohnR - I read of a New York City (hybrid) taxi with 300,000 miles on it with lots of life left on the batteries - the reports of greatly reduced life of these batteries tends to be larger than the actual decline in performance.

Here's the short article on it: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083854_used-high-mileage-hybrids-yellow-taxi-paint-thrown-in-for-free

The TESLA S got a 99 out of 100 from Consumers Reports recently....citing it as one of the best cars they've ever driven.  It ran a full 15 points higher than a very fine Porsche Panamera Hybrid (that costs more).  The TESLA model tested wasn't even the model more comparable in price with the Porsche....the one my partner has is the top-of-the-line with increased range (~60 miles), 0-60 drops from 6.5 to 4.2 seconds and the 21" tires and more advance suspension tune helps hug the road better.

Seriously, it's the most unsettling vehicle to hit the road (for any competitors) since the Model T.  I've been in an AUDI A8 and BMW 7-series and except for the interiors preferred in those cars, the TESLA stomps it in every other way.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/05/video-the-tesla-model-s-is-our-top-scoring-car.html

TheChairGuy

« Reply #44 on: 15 May 2013, 03:04 pm »
I'd agree the technology is coming, and with time the cost will come down, but imo the 'hot swap' on the battery is a must for general acceptance (&/or major advance in battery technology). If one only drives in town, or around the area moderately the 250 mi limit is fine. But 250 mi won't get me from Seattle to Spokane, and overnight layovers for recharge adds what will generally be considered unacceptable cost and delays. Back in the day I made several trips from Indy to C. Springs, roughly 1200 miles, and while not recommended my best time was around 20 hrs. Wouldn't do that now, but worst case cruising & sightseeing it should still only be a 2 day trip, not 4-5. That's the general complaint I hear from folks about the technology.

Then there's the difficulty of a dual stereo system. One to make exterior auto noises so folks know you are coming, which is acoustically isolated from the interior system for your music.  :D  There have been a few spots on the local news about folks (mostly jaywalkers) who have stepped out in front of electrics because they didn't hear them coming.

It's going to be interesting to see how things develop in the next 5-10 years.

Arthur,

My partner lives in LA - so he has TELSA charging stations in LA and outside on the way to Las Vegas and north to San Francisco.  As he doesn't have a kid, he can leisurely stop on long rides, grab a bite and he's on his way after 30-60 minutes (50-100% charge of his battery at the TESLA re-charge station)

So, it's not for everyone just yet (beyond the price that most folks won't or can't pay), but it is tantalizingly close right now to downright amazing.  I'm not an technology early adopter sort typically.....but I see every inch the possibility here.

It has more cargo space than most of the biggest/baddest SUV's, too...with a trunk and a frunk (like a Porsche 911) in it  8)

EDIT: possible game changer - hot swappable batteries for the TELSA: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084147_is-tesla-about-to-offer-battery-pack-swapping-for-model-s

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 15 May 2013, 03:49 pm »
Which version should I get for my Mini Diesel?
Get BG DFC with Cetane Booster. 

http://www.bgprod.com/products/diesel.html

Their products for fuel systems are pretty remarkable.  The BG 44K for a gas engine is pretty awesome stuff.  Years ago I was heavily involved with them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #46 on: 15 May 2013, 03:54 pm »
The BG 44K for a gas engine is pretty awesome stuff.  Years ago I was heavily involved with them.
Although it's been a few years, I've used BG products for nearly two decades, and stand behind all of their products.
I've seen the wonderful things they're capable of. Both in my vehicles and vehicles in shops I've worked at.

jonbee

« Reply #47 on: 15 May 2013, 09:55 pm »
What about batteries? How long do they last?
Ford has published some remarkable stats re: battery life in their hybrids, and back theirs (and their electric motors) with a 100K miles warranty.
Article:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-news/112684/ford-shows-off-hybrid-reliability.jsp
This was enough to move me to buy my wife a Lincoln MK Z Hybrid to replace her Jag. Having owned it for 4 months, I now agree that the all-gas engine cars are slowly on their way out. I think hybrids are more practical than all electric now, and as a transition technology, will probably have a good decade before they are phased out.
I've seen the Tesla; it is one killer set of wheels.

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 16 May 2013, 01:57 am »
Apparently TESLA have an 8-year warranty and a replacement battery costs $12000:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/real-long-term-cost-vs-battery-life

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 16 May 2013, 03:25 am »
Battery life is dependent on how quickly you let the battery discharge and how deep you let it discharge before recharging. This is determined by the engineers, so if a battery is warrantied for a certain number of miles it is likely to last that long but probably not too much longer.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2013, 05:52 am »
Apparently TESLA have an 8-year warranty and a replacement battery costs $12000:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/real-long-term-cost-vs-battery-life

At the current rate of advancement of the state of the art, I imagine by the time those 8 years have past, battery or super capacitor technology will have refined to the point where the replacement battery will be not much like the original. It could have double or more the capacity for the same weight - or half the weight (the suspension would have to be adjusted). If capacitors had become practical, or some other storage system, recharge times could be radically shorter which would change logistics as well–what if re-charge times were comparable to gasoline refill times?
Until then, I wonder if a small auxiliary diesel generator which could fit in the trunk could be put to use for coast to coast trips for the Tesla. If the trunk were fireproof, the motor could run back there while you were driving. For city use, you would remove it and run pure electric.