Firestorm spark plugs by Robert Krupa

*Scotty*

Re: Firestorm spark plugs by Robert Krupa
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2013, 08:57 pm »
Here is a real muffler bearing for a 1971 428 CJ, (ie exhaust donut gasket)

Just so there is no confusion.
Scotty

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2013, 09:06 pm »
Thats cute, I replaced the muffler gaskets on my 1969 T Bird 429 last summer.  The previous owner (who otherwise seems to have taken very good care of the car) apparently put in misfitting 454 Chevy ones with a redo of the exhaust.

I had the flanges of the header to mid pipe rewelded to allow for the proper ones, and put in the right gaskets.

I had no idea I should bave called them bearings...!

As for the OP, I think I am with Bob on this one.  I won't be looking any further into this spark plug revolution.

I guess I will continue with my dismal hp and gas mileage!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2013, 09:21 pm »
I had no idea I should bave called them bearings...!
They aren't Mark, they're good ol fashion gaskets. We call them donut gaskets for obvious reasons, but whatever you do....DO NOT... walk into your local parts store and refer to them as any kind of bearing. They'll have a field day with you.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2013, 09:34 pm »
1] Krupa's website is down: http://www.firestormperformanceproducts.com/

2] here's  FTC findings on Krupa's previous product, the Splitfire, which reportedly came apart in operation in one user's car, requiring an engine rebuild: http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/05/c3737cmp.htm

3] here's an "interesting" page where Krupa sounds off in a radio interview transcribed at the bottom of the page.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Firestorm_Spark_Plug
In it he asserts that automotive electrical systems will be going to 42 volts (from 12v) soon ("it's in the works" because "Most new vehicles have radios, DVD players, cell phones, etc.") and that hybrid automobiles are 15 to 20 years down the road.

Actually, it is remarkable and amusing how often he puts his foot in his mouth - way in.

For example:

"KRUPA: FireStorm spark plugs completely eliminate misfiring.

STANLEY: Is that the same thing as detonation?

KRUPA: Well, detonation would no longer exist because there is no detonation with this spark plug.

STANLEY: What do you mean?

KRUPA: I mean, how can it detonate when it literally burns everything in the combustion chamber? "

and:
" STANLEY: Do the FireStorm plugs increase the torque as well as horsepower?

KRUPA: Of course.

STANLEY: Have you measured it?

KRUPA: Only on the road while driving my modified vehicles. We haven't put it on a dynamometer for that yet. But horsepower and torque go hand in hand essentially. They would have to go up equally, but the torque is always a lower number than horsepower. "

Yet another flake.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2013, 09:52 pm »
Wow. That guy should learn to keep his mouth shut. There's a lot of stupid right there.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2013, 10:48 pm »
The Buell XB series actually have muffler bearings for the butterfly valve but no Robert Krupa spark plugs.

nickd

« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2013, 11:09 pm »
He was right on one thing. The 48 volt tech is in the design phase. Saves a bit of weight in copper wire. As the EPA pushes, look for lots of crazy ideas to save weight. Seems they want to get us squished in a pile up with anything bigger than a Mini. :roll:

I can't wait to get bit by a 48 volt ignition system. 250kv at the plug? yikes! Like getting bit it by a tube amp circut. :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2013, 12:00 am »
I can't wait to get bit by a 48 volt ignition system. 250kv at the plug? yikes! Like getting bit it by a tube amp circut. :nono:
When General Motors first came out with "D.I.S." (Distributorless Ignition System) back in the late 80's, early 90's, I discovered the potential there.
Leaning over the fender of a car with its engine running, My hand got near the coil pack that create the secondary ignition voltages. Somewhere around 50kv to 60kv.
Unfortunately, the path of least resistance for that spark to return to ground was up my arm, through my torso, out the metal zipper in my pants, through the tip of my penis and into the metal fender of the car.

I learned a new respect for high voltage, low amperage circuits that day.

Bob

p.s. Yes, .....  "it" ..... still works, just in case you're wondering.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2013, 12:36 am »
I know that must have been horrible but that sure made me laugh.
You know it's going to be a bad day when...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2013, 12:49 am »
Oh I laugh now.

Back then? .........When it happened, I made up new expletives.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2013, 12:53 am »
He was right on one thing. The 48 volt tech is in the design phase. Saves a bit of weight in copper wire. As the EPA pushes, look for lots of crazy ideas to save weight. Seems they want to get us squished in a pile up with anything bigger than a Mini. :roll:

...except he did say 42 volts - twice - unless it was miss-transcribed - twice.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2013, 01:45 am »
It's just not possible. Same with the mythical 100 mpg carburetor.

srb

« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2013, 02:05 am »
You could first go with the Tornado Air ki stationary turbine vortex-creating insert installed between the throttle body and air filter box.  Tested in the road and laboratory to increase MPG by +11.50% to +24.26%, depending on the particular car.

Combine that with the Firestorm spark plugs and you are probably looking at an increase in MPG between, well who knows, but it's a lot.  Depending on the particular car, of course.

I wonder if there is a limit on how many gas saving gizmos can be installed together in one car?

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2013, 02:13 am »
Don't forget the magnetic thingy that "conditions" your gasoline...  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2013, 02:36 am »
Don't forget the magnetic thingy that "conditions" your gasoline...  :thumb:

Thank you.  Nothing wrong with using a magnetic field to "break apart clusters of fuel molecules so gas burns more efficiently".

Then there are the water vapor injectors and ionizer units.  Problem is, only the test results from the companies themselves or "independent" (paid for) testing show any increases.  Testing performed by third parties with no vested interest typically show negligible results.  http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

Like someone else mentioned, this isn't audio, there's nothing subjective, it's all too easily verifiable with MPG tests, dynamometer HP and torque tests and emissions tests.

Steve

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2013, 02:54 am »
Oh I laugh now.

So, we can call you "Sparky"?   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2013, 03:19 am »
So, we can call you "Sparky"?   :lol:
After a quarter century, the affects of the electro-shock therapy have since worn off.   :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2013, 05:14 am »
Testing performed by third parties with no vested interest typically show negligible results.  http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

A good number of them reduced power and efficiency! Amazing.

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2013, 12:15 pm »
Bob,
Your story was shocking!  I wouldn't wish that. On anyone and can't imagine the pain and fear you must have experienced.  Yow!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2013, 02:10 pm »
I think I tried those SplitFire plugs like 15 years ago drawn in by their 'story'.  My mechanic at the time pulled them out months after install and showed me how a spark plug should look like after a year in a car under similar conditions to my own.  There was a stark difference between the two plugs.

I've tried a bunch of supposed tweeks for my vehicles and few have ever born out in benefits.  Not to say someone won't one day make some technological leap, but I don't see it.

These are what worked and is done in minutes, in whole or part, for me:

Upgraded plug wires - Slightly more power felt, no mileage benefits noted.  That was 15+ years ago, since then I've driven (distributorless) SAAB's

TUFOIL - Remarkably less engine operating temps ('92 Volkswagen), but increasingly less benefit that way every car since.  I think engine operating temps and (combustion) friction has likely been reduced in all cars over the years, mitigating the positive effect to this to very little now.  There may have been small mileage benefits initially, but I haven't noticed more recently

Marvel Mystery Oil - Crazy stuff works in every car tried (in gas tank).  Smoothest running engine always on MMO - even wife notices. When my main engine seals went on my old SAAB at 12 years and 90,000 miles....my long time SAAB mechanic said you could eat off the innards of my engine.....he had never seen any motor look like that at 90,000 miles.  Mileage benefits seem to be on the order of 2-3% consistently thru the years

Engine Tuning - At least with turbo cars, and dependent on maker, really kicks max HP, torque up; generally makes higher torque at much lower engine RPM's, reduces turbo lag a lot and, I've found, mileage benefit of ~ 4%.  I don't stomp my cars, and I suspect I drive the same speed(s) now, but the accelerator is depressed a little less to reach the same speeds now....so some mpg is spared.  An unexpected benefit to a pricey ($1000) upgrade that I expected only performance benefits.

I've read the re-mapped CPU doesn't do much of a thing for non-turbo cars, however.   

Oh, and btw, I've had the pleasure of sitting in and driving my business partners TESLA S (with performance plus pack) a couple months ago at the factory in Northern California and I don't think a car with internal combustion motor is in many of our far off futures anymore.  It accelerates and handles like a Porsche (0-60 in 4.2 seconds, center of gravity 6" off the ground, etc); and cruises as quietly as a bicycle.  The WHOLE car is an internet hot spot and you have wi-fi access 100% of the time thru the 17" touch screen. 

I've been reading all these comments on the 'net by folks that have not been in one and that they would buy a similarly priced Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/whatever instead......and I call 'bs'.  The TESLA is far and away the finest and most remarkable car ever made in my lifetime. Right now it's unobtainably priced for most at $80,000-$100,000 (with government rebates of $7500), but as that technology ripens it'll make future talk about spark plugs meaningless.

His version goes 250miles between fill-ups - the recharging is either free (at TESLA superchanger stations) or nearly so (at home, etc).  If battery technology gets a little better or TESLA starts offering hot-swapped, fully charged battery service (it's coming)...they'll be little reason to consider anything else at the higher price points for cars.

I'm saving up my pennies (my partner tends to spend more freely than me and doesn't have a kid) :)