NBA Playoffs

randytsuch

NBA Playoffs
« on: 7 May 2013, 08:08 pm »
Thought someone would have already started this, but since I didn't see anything, figured I would go.

Since I'm from LA, I no longer have any vested interest in the outcome, but I still am spending most nights watching games.

Missed the Miami game, although I liked the outcome  :D.

The GS - San Antonio game was great, but I was pulling for GS, and they choked in the 4th Quarter, and were lucky to get into overtime.  They almost did the same think in their last win over Denver.  Still, if GS can continue playing at that level this will be a fun series to watch.

The other night I was sure Memphis was going to win the first game in that series, but they couldn't score at the end either.

I don't really care about GS or Memphis, but I REALLY don't like OKC and San Antonio.

Randy

jackman

Re: NBA Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2013, 08:35 pm »
The Bulls/Miami game last night was one of my favorite NBA games ever.  People (myself included) are quick to call out talented players who do not give full effort, especially in the NBA, but the 2013 Bulls are the hardest working team in the game.  The current Bulls' team does not have a lot of raw basketball talent but they have more heart than any team I have ever seen.  Little Nate Robinson took it to Baby Bron Bron and company, and guys like Noah and second year guard Jimmy Butler played their hearts out.  Jimmy Butler covered Lebron like a glove (held him to two points in the first half) and he contributed some clutch buckets in crunch time. 

Noah is playing with a severely injured foot, yet he logged big minutes, Gibson has a bad knee, Robinson is a castoff forced to play big minutes at point (with ten stitches in his lip last night), and Butler has played every minute of the last three games (literally 48 minutes per game), and they all showed tons of grit and heart against the NBA's darlings, the Heat.  The Bulls were without Rose, Heinrich, Rip Hamilton and Deng (in hospital leaking spinal fluid after a botched spinal tap because they thought he had meningitis), and they beat the world champs on their home court. 

The Heat will probably win the series, they are too talented to keep down for long, but last night's game was a memorable display of toughness and determination (and good coaching from Thibs).  They totally outplayed the Heat down the stretch and they did it in dramatic fashion.  I'm still pissed D-Rose has not returned even though he's been cleared by doctors to return from his ACL surgery but that's a conversation for another thread.  Hopefully his testicles will drop before the series is over and he will return to the court before the series is over. 

Go Bulls!

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2013, 08:48 pm »
Yeah, what an incredible game. I think these Bulls are my favorite pro basketball team ever. Damn, that 3 OT game, The Nets game 7 and then last night. Wow.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2013, 09:40 pm »
I agree Roscoe, this team is fun to watch.  I'm disappointed about Deng and Heinrich, looks like they are out for game 2.  Nate Robinson is playing out of his mind.  That little guy started the season as third string PG and he has become the go-to scorer in the fourth quarter.  That 3OT game was an amazing comeback victory.  How can a five foot eight PG carry a team, as he has done in this post season?

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2013, 09:56 pm »
The trick is transplanting the heart of an elephant into a 5'8" body. Something in that brain of his is also set to permanently to "fire the torpedoes!"

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2013, 11:36 pm »
The problem for me is that the eastern games are too early, usually before I get home. 
Now I really wish I saw the Miami/Bulls game.

But no love for SA/GS?  It really was a fun game to watch, double OT.

BTW, if you eastern guys haven't seen Curry play, you should stay up and watch a game (easy for me to say).
When he is hot, unstoppable.  I think we got tired in the 4thQ last night, but he lit up SA in the 3rd.

Oh, and what was the quote I heard from Robinson last night, something about getting heart instead of height?

soundbitten1

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2013, 01:29 am »
What a beat down the Bulls are getting tonight.

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2013, 02:33 am »
No doubt.  Thankfully, it only counts as one loss.  I seriously considered taking the Heat minus 13 tonight but thought it might be disloyal.   James was focused and played well.  The Bulls are going to have to play their best and catch some breaks to have a shot at winning any games. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2013, 05:04 am »
Is it just me or is the NBA starting to look more like the NFL? The amount of contact is incredible.

soundbitten1

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2013, 11:48 am »
Is it just me or is the NBA starting to look more like the NFL? The amount of contact is incredible.

I agree. I think the playoffs are played to a higher degree of intensity.

soundbitten1

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2013, 11:51 am »
Kudos to the S.F. Warriors. They are way better than I thought and will be a tough out.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2013, 12:54 pm »

Soundbitten beat me to it!  The playoffs are always higher intensity and more physical.  Nothing like it was ten or twelve years ago!  You must be a young man (nothing wrong with that!) because I remember when hand-checking was allowed and players would really hit eachother in the NBA.  The game is more exciting and offensive oriented these days but I miss some of the battles of the old Bulls with Artis Gilmour and Stormin' Norm Van Leer.  Those were fun times, even though we didn't win anyting. 

milford3

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2013, 01:24 pm »
The good-old days.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2013, 03:32 pm »
That Warriors-Spurs game was great.  Two very good teams going to battle.  This is basketball at a very high level.  Curry is an emerging star.   I think he is top five at the point, easily.  Also, Klay Thompson is for real. 

The Warriors could easily be up 2-0.  Hard to pick a winner but if the Warriors keep this level of play up, they could

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2013, 03:52 pm »
Klay Thompson impressed me. Curry gets the most publicity but KT has a more perfect jump shot, rebounds and plays excellent defense.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2013, 04:12 pm »
Klay Thompson impressed me. Curry gets the most publicity but KT has a more perfect jump shot, rebounds and plays excellent defense.

I agree 100%.  Thompson had some issues with weed coming out of college but he's turned into a true force with his shooting and defense.  He can also drive to the hoop (unlike many other great shooters).  When David Lee went down, I thought the Warriors were in trouble but they didn't miss a beat.  Klay Thompson is a star in the making.  He had his best career game yesterday, in the biggest game of his life.  That's a great sign for Warrior fans.  He also played Tony Parker well on defense.   When Klay fouled out of the first game, the Warriors were a different team. 

The Lakers and Clippers get all of the press (or got all of it I should say) but this Warriors team looks to have the brightest future and best lineup of any of them.  The Lakers are in trouble.  Big contracts to old players, injured (and old) Kobe, and a committment (it looks like it at least) to that headcase Howard.  Outside of Dwayne Wade, my least favorite player. 

Lots of exciting teams in the west and it's hard for me to pick a favorite.  I love the style of San Antonio but the athleticism of GS might be more than they can handle.  I also really like the way Memphis is playing.  We could see Memphis/GS in the western finals.  I wouldn't mind seeing that matchup. 

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2013, 09:33 pm »

I think Klay is a good player, and he was hot last night.  Day in and day out, I would rather have Curry though.  Klay is a good spot up shooter, give him a little space and he will bury the shot.  But, he is open because of Curry and the attention he attracts.  Curry can create his own shots.  Last night he didn't seem to be on his game.

Right now, I kind of expect a Memphis and Golden State matchup in the next round.  They both could easily be up 2 - 0 right now, both teams should have run the first games in their series.  And they are both headed home for the next two games.

I also thought it was interesting all 4 series are 1-1, so they should all be fun to watch.

Randy

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2013, 10:35 pm »
Sure, at this point in their respective careers, Curry is probably more effective. However, like I said Klay's jump shot will probably be more consistent because it's fundamentally better. He jumps straight up and then goes straight down. He's also taller with better defensive presence. He goes to the hoop but certainly doesn't yet posses the fine floater and the variety of shot that Curry has.

BTW I think Curry dribbles too much and he has thrown the ball away a lot in the last two games.

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2013, 10:59 pm »
So I guess we agree to disagree.

If I asked to pick one for my team, I know who it would be.

It will be interesting to see where both are at in a few years.

Randy

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2013, 02:26 am »
So I guess we agree to disagree.

If I asked to pick one for my team, I know who it would be.

It will be interesting to see where both are at in a few years.

Randy

I agree that Curry has the edge now. Curry's more of a natural point guard, whereas Klay fits the off guard profile. He could add  weight and develop some post up moves.

-Roy