Bryston SP3 - cracking piece of kit!

dminches

Re: Bryston SP3 - cracking piece of kit!
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2013, 02:08 pm »
Do most people get the 17" or the 19"?  Is the whole case a different size?

Chicago

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2013, 08:59 pm »
It probably depends on your cabinet width.  The units are 17" wide and just the faceplate size changes for the 19".  I can't say for the SP3 but their sst² amps have handles on the 19" models, no handles on the 17".  I don't believe the standard 19" is rack mountable but I think their is an option for a rack mountable faceplate.

Good Listening,
Mike

Trumendous

« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2013, 03:11 pm »
I am new to this forum, but recently purchased and installed an SP3, 9B, Oppo 105 and REL T-9.  This was an equipment refresh having moved away from Anthem Statement AMP and Preamp, Denon DVD 5000 and M&K.  I kept my SR cabling and B&W's.  The enthusiasm, and constant input from Stan, James and everyone on this board is what made me switch.  I can say the sonic differences and characteristics off my entire music library has been a delight to re-listen to.  After 3 weeks of listening, all I can say is just WOW!  Thanks everyone.  tru

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2013, 06:13 pm »
Good day, gents:

You're right, Tru, the SP3's sound is a wow. With hi-res music especially, the sound is breathtaking. James, Stan, and Chris were major reasons I went with the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2. Their expert and generous support is like being a member of our own Bryston audio club.

Dminches, my guess is that most people get the 17" width; clearly, James has the expert knowledge. There is a detailed drawing of the SP3's dimensions here: http://bryston.com/PDF/Dimensions/SP3_DIMENSIONS.pdf. FWIW, we bought the black with blue LEDs. You'll find that the SP3 has a great deal of versatility as regards managing the bass/LFE.

As Mike (Chicago) points out, only the panel size changes. There are no handles. The handles on my SST4 and SST6 amps are very useful, as the amps are hefty, but the SP3 is very manageable at 18 pounds.
Of course, when you install your SP3, you will need the fantastic BDP-2.  :dance:

Happy listening,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

MadScientist

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2014, 11:52 am »

Changes I would like to see
Bryston have got the main things right, in my opinion. Here are some suggestions that would make my AV experience that bit nicer, in order of importance to me.

1.   Virtual inputs. I would like to be able to map a physical input to a logical input on the SP3. The current capability is based on the premise that we use single-purpose devices (i.e. DVD player connected to DVD input, CD-player to CD input etc). Multi-purpose devices are quite common now, so (for instance) an Oppo or HTPC can play DVD, CD and stream music. By providing virtual inputs, the single physical input can be mapped to multiple logical inputs, each of which can have its own settings for DSP, number of speakers, subwoofer, delays, triggers etc. The ADA HD Suite is a super example of how this could work.

I'm planning to replace my Meridian processor with the SP3 in the next few months but losing the ability to define virtual inputs is a feature I will miss.    I use several of my sources (HTPC and Oppo BR player) for both movies and multi-channel music which is likely to increase with growing number of music BRs available.    Similar to the OP above, I like to define different bass management parameters for music and film so hence the request.    Is this feasible via a firmware change?    If so, please consider this as a request.
MS   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:24 pm »
I'm planning to replace my Meridian processor with the SP3 in the next few months but losing the ability to define virtual inputs is a feature I will miss.    I use several of my sources (HTPC and Oppo BR player) for both movies and multi-channel music which is likely to increase with growing number of music BRs available.    Similar to the OP above, I like to define different bass management parameters for music and film so hence the request.    Is this feasible via a firmware change?    If so, please consider this as a request.
MS

Hi MS

You can not assign but you can set difference bass management parameters per input. 

That being said one concern I have is if you are looking for a feature laden product I think the SP3 is the wrong choice. The SP3 was designed first and foremost around maintaining the audio performance as accurately as possible at the current state of the art.  So it is a much different philosophy than the typical processor out there - which in my opinion many are glorified computers.  So performance considerations like Discrete Class A analog audio circuits (NO IC's) , independent power supplies for the digital and analog sections , independent ground plans for the digital and analogue sections, fully balance differential inputs and outputs , video pass-through instead of processing,  operating all surround processing at unity gain, separate chassis sections for digital signal processing and power etc are all designed around audio performance first and foremost.

james

MadScientist

« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:11 pm »
Hi James

Point taken.   But be assured that I'm fully onboard with the Bryston philosophy and it's approach to audio reproduction.   I'm just greedy and would like it to come with maximum flexibility.   

You can not assign but you can set difference bass management parameters per input. 

Just so that I'm clear, only one bass management profile per input is possible and this is a limitation of the hardware?

Thanks, MS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:14 pm »
Hi James

Point taken.   But be assured that I'm fully onbroad with the Bryston philosophy and it's approach to audio reproduction.   I'm just greedy and would like it to come with maximum flexibility.   

Just so that I'm clear, only one bass management profile per input is possible and this is a limitation of the hardware?

Thanks, MS

Hi

I will have to ask engineering that but as I understand it there is only one bass management option per input.

james

MadScientist

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:25 pm »
Many thanks, appreciated.    The solution I would like is:  in the set-up, for more than one source button to be assigned to the same physical input.   If it's impossible, so be it - not a deal breaker for me

ragg987

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2014, 06:54 pm »
That being said one concern I have is if you are looking for a feature laden product I think the SP3 is the wrong choice. The SP3 was designed first and foremost around maintaining the audio performance as accurately as possible at the current state of the art.
James, I agree this is the priority and that is why I purchased the SP3 despite knowing that there was no ability to map a virtual input to a physical input.

I guess the question is if this was how Bryston designed it to work, or if this is how it HAD to be designed so as not to conflict with accurate audio performance. If the latter, then I would not want the feature and am happy to workaround it. If the former, please do consider this feature request. (Hence my question re development roadmap in another thread).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2014, 07:14 pm »
James, I agree this is the priority and that is why I purchased the SP3 despite knowing that there was no ability to map a virtual input to a physical input.

I guess the question is if this was how Bryston designed it to work, or if this is how it HAD to be designed so as not to conflict with accurate audio performance. If the latter, then I would not want the feature and am happy to workaround it. If the former, please do consider this feature request. (Hence my question re development roadmap in another thread).

Yes its a good question-  because some features are software based and some are hardware based.  In the case of virtual to physical input I believe it is a hardware issue but I will certainly check with or software engineers.

james

ragg987

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2014, 04:33 pm »
Yes its a good question-  because some features are software based and some are hardware based.  In the case of virtual to physical input I believe it is a hardware issue but I will certainly check with or software engineers.
Hi James, any feedback yet...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2014, 08:24 pm »
From Engineering:

4 SPDIF inputs and 3 Toslink inputs can be mapped to variable front buttons but Balanced digital (AES1 and 2) cannot. 

HDMI inputs 1-8 can also be (in the future) software-mapped to various front panel buttons but currently are fixed.

Stan

MadScientist

« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2014, 06:47 am »
Many thanks for the feedback - that's excellent news!

As more sources become multi-media orientated, the ability to apply different speaker and bass management profiles to a single physical HDMI input is highly desirable.     

ragg987

« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2014, 11:07 am »
HDMI inputs 1-8 can also be (in the future) software-mapped to various front panel buttons but currently are fixed.
Thanks, James. "Pretty please can you add this to your development plans".

Also, any news on a replacement async USB module - you mentioned it around the time of the SP3 release on some other forum (cannot recall where, but it stuck in my mind).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2014, 11:20 am »
Thanks, James. "Pretty please can you add this to your development plans".

Also, any news on a replacement async USB module - you mentioned it around the time of the SP3 release on some other forum (cannot recall where, but it stuck in my mind).

We have developed the module but still in the testing stages.

james

MadScientist

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2014, 11:34 am »
Is the new USB interface just for 2-channel audio or are there multichannel options?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 14 May 2014, 12:16 pm »
Is the new USB interface just for 2-channel audio or are there multichannel options?

just 2 channel.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2014, 11:22 pm »
I

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jun 2014, 11:29 am »
Hi Folks,

SNEAK PEEK

Have a Bryston SP3 Preamp/Processor review coming shortly in The Secrets of Home Theater Magazine.

It is a superb review with lots of measurements to support the technical excellence of the SP3.  Will post complete review when available.

Conclusions

With the SP3, Bryston definitely delivers on their goal of building an analog preamplifier / surround processor that can perform equally well with two-channel and multi-channel music and movies. 

The sound quality of the SP3 is simply superb.