maggies and big amps

Rclark

maggies and big amps
« on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:28 am »
Listening to a certain head bobbing sort of song right now and I have it turned up some and there is such an easy control and clarity, like the strings above the puppet are taut  :wink: and definitely not sagging. Full bodied. Non fat free.

I want there to be unused power. I want there to be hundreds of watts of unneeded power at low volumes. That's kind of the whole point. Relaxed amp, relaxed sound  :thumb:

Who else here has large wattage on their Magnepans?

guest61169

Re: maggies and big amps
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:36 am »
For Maggie 1.7s, using 750 wpc (into 4 ohms) Yamaha P5000S:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/poweramps/ps_series/specifications.jsp

Update: Just picked up it's big brother, used for great price, the P7000S.  950 wpc into 4 ohms. 

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:40 am »
I've not heard of those but they are definitely very cool looking  :thumb:. Yamaha has a good reputation. Care to share your impressions?

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:41 am »
Rclark, what exactly is your definition of a big amp? 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:45 am »
Rclark, what exactly is your definition of a big amp? 

Jim

One that throws several square feet of mylar around like a ragdoll.

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:54 am »
One that throws several square feet of mylar around like a ragdoll.

Well in that case, I have a big amp, a Audio Research VS-110 that gets as loud as I can stand, which is damn loud!  The key is 328 joules of power supply to nail down the dynamic peaks. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:57 am »
Well in that case, I have a big amp, a Audio Research VS-110 that gets as loud as I can stand, which is damn loud!  The key is 328 joules of power supply to nail down the dynamic peaks. 

Jim

I checked those out and they DO look pretty sweet, I can't lie.

guest61169

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:01 am »
I've not heard of those but they are definitely very cool looking  :thumb:. Yamaha has a good reputation. Care to share your impressions?

Been using the P5000S on and off for a year or so (alternating daily or weekly with tube amp) on Klipsch Forte II.  Just got the 1.7s yesterday.  First I tried my Crown XLS2500 (775 wpc into 4 ohms...borrowed from my video system) on the 1.7s and today trying the P5000S.  Both amps sound good on both these 1.7s and the Klipschs.   The Crown runs very cool and the Yamaha a little warmer.  Neither use much power at idle.   Haven't heard fan noise from either.   Running a Benchmark DAC-1 balanced outputs into the Yamaha.   I'm lucky that through research online I found 2 of what may be the quietest high power pro amps and they are so cheap.  I would characterize the sound of the Yamaha similar to the Bryston I used to own, with good detail and dynamics.   

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:14 am »
My backup amp is a BGW 500D that is around 425 watts in 4ohm.  It too is a pro amp, but has been modified with upgraded caps and a tube emulation circuit.  It is a nice amp...

Jim

emailtim

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:18 am »
Who else here has large wattage on their Magnepans?

I have several amps that I have used in both single amp (2 channel) and active biamp-configuration (4 channel) on 3.6's and 20.1's. 

Max wattage was 2,280wpc in horizontal biamp-configuration.  Does that count ???

• Wyred 4 Sound @ 1,140wpc into 4Ohms (4 channels).
  • Mark Levinson #336 (350/700/1,400wpc into 8/4/2Ohms respectively; 2 channels)
  • Jeffrey Rowland Model 10 (275wpc into 4Ohms; 2 channels).

I am interested in trying a pair of Roger Sound Labs, Magtech monoblocks.  Hopefully, I can listen to them at the Newport Beach show.

From what I have tried, I think I like the ML #336 on the larger panels the best.

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:26 am »
I  did a home audition with 3.7's backed up with my Bryston 28's.
That was something else as most cuts the bottom end never sounded so superb and the midrange well there's to many micro and macro
fine details that I am hoping to pair up my 28's with the 3.7's again permanently.

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:32 am »
My local Magnepan Dealer, Shelley's Stereo (Woodland Hills, CA), has their 3.7's paired with a pair of McIntosh MC275's that is pretty damn sweet. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:35 am »

Max wattage was 2,280wpc in horizontal biamp-configuration.  Does that count ???

..  :green:

Which one is your favorite?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:35 am »
My local Magnepan Dealer, Shelley's Stereo (Woodland Hills, CA), has their 3.7's paired with a pair of McIntosh MC275's that is pretty damn sweet. 

Jim
Jimbo, where is Woodland Hills?  Could it be near Sacramento?

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:41 am »
Woodland Hills is near Los Angeles.

Jim

emailtim

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2013, 04:07 am »
..  :green:

Which one is your favorite?

"... From what I have tried, I think I like the ML #336 on the larger panels the best. ..."

I used the Rowland on top and the Levinson on the bottom of my 3.6's for a long time. 

The W4S comes close to the #336, but I still prefer the #336.  The #336 is stable, conservatively rated and has a lot of reserve.

Nº336: two 2450 VA transformers four 50,000 mF capacitors

I would like to try a suitable tube amp, but don't know much about them and a bit concerned about their required care and feeding.

jsm71

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2013, 04:55 pm »
I don't have my Maggies any more, but I used the Sanders Magtech for close to two years with them.  That amp made them come alive.  I still have and use that amp although my current Janszens are more efficient.  Awesome amp.  Even though I'm not needing as much amp now it just sounds so darn good I won't change it.  I equate the headroom to having a car with 600 horsepower.  Effortless response even when obeying the speed limits.  Puts a smile on your face when you want to boggie.

rw@cn

« Reply #17 on: 8 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
I used a Levinson No. 335 on my Logan Quest and Maggie 1.7 and sometimes 3.7. It worked great but it deteriorated below usefulness. I now have a NewClear NC 1000L which is distinctly different from the Levinson but I love it. The Maggies are now very smooth and love the seemingly unlimited power of the amp. It is very quiet.

The amp is not forgiving and can't stand dirty AC power. You will need a very good power conditioner.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 8 Apr 2013, 07:52 pm »
My amp is a puny 500 watts per channel into 4 ohms. It is enough for my 3.6 maggies in my apartment though.
Bryston 4B-SST²

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2013, 08:14 pm »
Well in the last couple of years my rack has had a revolving door on it for equipment. I went from a Mac set up using a C2200/MC202 combo to Threshold FET 10/S200 to Threshold FET 10/TAD60 and now finally back to McIntosh again. Right now I'm using a MA6100 (to be replaced this week by a C34V) and a MC2200 and out of all those amps I'm liking this one the best. My room is smaller and the Magnestand MG12s don't seem to need a lot of power to get loud. With the dial set at 12 o'clock there is plenty of very nice sounds coming out of those modified panels. I know I still have one more step to go but the MC2200 will stay for at least a year. At that point I'm going to go looking for a MC7207 which will give me 270 watts along with some big blue meters. I think at that point I will be done.

My second choice would be the Threshold amps. Those and the maggies played very well together.