Thoughts on Maggies 1.7

Freo-1

Thoughts on Maggies 1.7
« on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:04 am »
I've got an opportunity to pick up a pair of Maggie 1.7's.  I'm going tomorrow to work out the specifics of the transaction. 

Would like some feedback on them.  I'll be using the TBI Magellan VII for the sub, as I think it should be "fast enough"  The owner told me that he thinks my Pass Labs INT-150 would be fine, but he is not sure the 55 watt tube monos are powerful enough.  I'm using them in a smaller space, so I'm thinking they may be OK, but really not sure.

It's not often you can swap unused gear for something you can use, but that is the case here.  A win/win for both of us.   8)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!   :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Thoughts on Maggies 1.7
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:09 am »
Are you asking if 55 watt tube mono blocks will cut it?
I dunno, I'm using a pair of 250s which I'm sure is overkill.
I guess it all depends on how loud you like your music but you should have fun finding out.

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:14 am »
Freo:

If you use subs, maybe....I had 1.6's with 60wpc of Tube power and it didn't cut it for me, but I feel that it was the amp (do not want to name it) that didn't have enough in the power supply.   

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:31 am »
I'll be using these amps:

The power supply has a lot of reserve, so I'm not worried about that.  The front end is rated for 55 watts, but I'm pretty sure it can actually get to 60 watts. 

It will be fun to find out.  I know the INT-150 will drive it fine.

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:36 am »
Freo:

Since you have a plan B, go for it!

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
I plan to get them. 

I had Acoustats for years, and I do miss what planar speakers do right.  The tube amps will be right on the edge.  However, the reason I have a hunch they may be OK is I remember a buddy had medium size Maggies with a Audio Research Classic 60, and it was fine in his listening space (which was not too big).   

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:49 am »
75WPC Conrad Johnson MV75A1 stereo amp had the power / volume for me w/ 1.7, though the power supply caps had been upgraded at 4X stock.  Even with passive pre-amplification it often was enough.  So I'm gonna guess that those 55WPC monoblocks could do it.  Will be interesting to get you're personal experience though. 

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:00 am »
My Marantz 9's were enough to drive my 2.5's (bigger than 1.7's) and are rated at 70 watts per mono block, albeit, I used two subs x/o @80hz...

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:24 pm »
75WPC Conrad Johnson MV75A1 stereo amp had the power / volume for me w/ 1.7, though the power supply caps had been upgraded at 4X stock.  Even with passive pre-amplification it often was enough.  So I'm gonna guess that those 55WPC monoblocks could do it.  Will be interesting to get you're personal experience though.

Thanks, and will do.  The amps have a significant overkill with both the power transformers and cap storage.  They have separate power supplies for the screens as well.  I plan to to use the Magellan sub at 80Hz, but will run the Maggies full range.  Every crossover I've ever tried degrades the overall playback chain. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:43 pm »
The sub might get in the way at 80 but that's easy enough to change.
It looks like you're going to be having some fun in the near future.

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:25 pm »

If you are running the panels full, yes....I have my subs at 60 with the new amp and it is very good....enough of the panel bass to integrate the subs to.  The panels are high passed as 60hz...it is nice and seamless. 

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:39 pm »

I think you are right about that.  I'll start at 55 to 60 Hz, and play around a bit. 

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:11 am »
Well, the speakers have landed.  I've been listening for a couple of hours now, and I must say, I'm VERY impressed!!!
The Pass Labs INT-150 seems like it was made for the 1.7's.   Spatial presentation and clarity is unbelievable.   As I had hoped, the TBI Magellan VIII works great with the 1.7's.  Surprising to me is the dynamics the speaker produces.  I was not prepared for that.

I did try the 55 watt tube amps, and they actually worked pretty well (up to a point).  As long as you don't turn up the volume too loud, the sound was seductive, with all that tube goodness shining through.  Where it seems to fall apart is when you try to push it too loud.  For non-symphonic music, 55 watt of tube power will provide a satisfying listening session.  However, for full blown symphonic realism, the 300 watts (at 4 ohms nominal) from the INT-150 is just the ticket. 

I'll post a more detailed review after I spend a few days with the setup.  I want to try other music with the tubes as well.  I do see why Magnepan has such difficulty answering the questions associated with sufficient power.   It really is a tough one to answer.

josh358

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:25 am »
Power is impossible to answer, I think, since people listen at such widely varying levels!

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:36 am »
Well, the speakers have landed.  I've been listening for a couple of hours now, and I must say, I'm VERY impressed!!!
The Pass Labs INT-150 seems like it was made for the 1.7's.   Spatial presentation and clarity is unbelievable.   As I had hoped, the TBI Magellan VIII works great with the 1.7's.  Surprising to me is the dynamics the speaker produces.  I was not prepared for that.

I did try the 55 watt tube amps, and they actually worked pretty well (up to a point).  As long as you don't turn up the volume too loud, the sound was seductive, with all that tube goodness shining through.  Where it seems to fall apart is when you try to push it too loud.  For non-symphonic music, 55 watt of tube power will provide a satisfying listening session.  However, for full blown symphonic realism, the 300 watts (at 4 ohms nominal) from the INT-150 is just the ticket. 

I'll post a more detailed review after I spend a few days with the setup.  I want to try other music with the tubes as well.  I do see why Magnepan has such difficulty answering the questions associated with sufficient power.   It really is a tough one to answer.

I don't want to create a Tube vs SS war, but I'm running with about 110-120 wpc of tubes and I don't suffer the compression and sibilance that I would sometimes experience with the Marantz Model 9's, which were rated at 70.  But it must be noted, that the Marantz's could hit around 98-99db (average), with peaks around 105-106, before they hinted at compression of the vocals and the tightness presented itself.  With the ARC VS-110, I have yet to find the glass ceiling.   It should be noted that Audio Research Corp was/is a long time ally of Magnepan.  ARC currently shows with Sonus Faber Speakers at Shows, which are also a tough load to drive. 

That being said, my room is 16x15x8.5' and has an acoustic sprayed ceiling, carpeting and is very neutral acoustically.  In a larger room, I would probably be okay, but it would most likely need to be a bit more lively.  However, I friend of mine on the AC has a room twice as large as mine and he is living just fine with a tube amp of 150wpc and can head bang with the best of them.

If you prefer SS or Class D, then get as many watts as you can afford, with tubes you still need the wattage, say 100+, but more importantly, check the power supply which allows the amp to store power for dynamic peaks.   

I agree with Magnepan and Josh, there is no one single answer or one size fits all.

Jim

P.S. Freo-1:  Sure glad that you found your way to a pair of Maggies and that you are impressed by how dynamic they are!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:46 am »
I'm glad to hear they're going to work out for you.
They're kind of addictive.

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:13 am »

I'm glad to hear they're going to work out for you.
They're kind of addictive.

Amen to that, brother! :lol:

Decided to try the 55 watt tube amps today.  So far, so good.  With music such as Sinatra, Martin, Brubeck, Sarah Vaughn on SACD, the tubes sound great. 
Where I had an issue was a Telarc SACD of Debussy:

That required the 300 watts @ 4 ohms from the INT-150 to sound right.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:39 am »
You have a nice arsenal. I have an X150 that was heavenly with a pair of MMGs, and the 1.7s shouldn't be too much more troublesome than them. The Pass/Maggie combo works very well. Ah, but so do tubes and Maggies. Although what you have may not quite be enough in their current configuration, a crossover and sub(s) could provide enough relief to make those valve amps sing with all the material you have (just one of many potential implementations :icon_lol:).

Heck, if switching back and forth isn't being a hassle, you have the best of both worlds (by actually having both worlds). Enjoy (sounds like that's a given)! :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:59 am »
You have a nice arsenal. I have an X150 that was heavenly with a pair of MMGs, and the 1.7s shouldn't be too much more troublesome than them. The Pass/Maggie combo works very well. Ah, but so do tubes and Maggies. Although what you have may not quite be enough in their current configuration, a crossover and sub(s) could provide enough relief to make those valve amps sing with all the material you have (just one of many potential implementations :icon_lol: ).

Heck, if switching back and forth isn't being a hassle, you have the best of both worlds (by actually having both worlds). Enjoy (sounds like that's a given)! :thumb:

Thanks, Kevin!  So far, switching amps is no hassle at all.   I have the amps at opposite ends of the room, and move the speaker cables between them.  So far, so good. 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:49 am »
That sounds fun. :D

I still wish I kept the Pass X350, but selling it funded the purchase of a Bryston BDP-1.