Thoughts on Maggies 1.7

medium jim

Re: Thoughts on Maggies 1.7
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:52 am »
You have a nice arsenal. I have an X150 that was heavenly with a pair of MMGs, and the 1.7s shouldn't be too much more troublesome than them. The Pass/Maggie combo works very well. Ah, but so do tubes and Maggies. Although what you have may not quite be enough in their current configuration, a crossover and sub(s) could provide enough relief to make those valve amps sing with all the material you have (just one of many potential implementations :icon_lol:).

Heck, if switching back and forth isn't being a hassle, you have the best of both worlds (by actually having both worlds). Enjoy (sounds like that's a given)! :thumb:

I'm thinking about getting a Niles Switching Box that allows you to hook up two amps and them switch between them without the hassle of rewiring everything.

Niles DPS-1:

http://www.amazon.com/Niles-Audio-DPS-1/dp/B00006HOFR

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:52 am »
Heck, I'd rather set up a little patch panel - wouldn't be my first. :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:30 am »
Why bother at the price it is being sold for, unless you like kinkering with things like thst :wink:

Jim

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:00 am »
I'm thinking about getting a Niles Switching Box that allows you to hook up two amps and them switch between them without the hassle of rewiring everything.

Niles DPS-1:

http://www.amazon.com/Niles-Audio-DPS-1/dp/B00006HOFR

Jim

I have used some other Niles auto switching boxes and they work pretty well.  I haven't tied the DPS though because it was rated a too low a max wattage.  But I see they have bumped it up to 350watts.  Check ebay, you can find good deals on used Niles audio gear if you are patient.  I paid $10 for a unit that cost over $100. 

bigjppop

« Reply #24 on: 9 Apr 2013, 07:45 am »
I'll be using these amps:

The power supply has a lot of reserve, so I'm not worried about that.  The front end is rated for 55 watts, but I'm pretty sure it can actually get to 60 watts. 

It will be fun to find out.  I know the INT-150 will drive it fine.

Can you provide any more info on these mono blocks? They look really interesting. Are those 807's? Really getting 55 watts out of a push pull pair? I'd love to learn more about them if you've got any more info.

Freo-1

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:49 am »
Well, after extended listening, I can safely report that the Pass Labs INT-150 is a GREAT match for the Maggie 1.7.  It has sufficient power, and provides a very clean and musical signal to the speakers.  The fact that it has only two gain stages, very little overall feedback, and an excellent input stage all contribute to a life like presentation.  Using a subwoofer puts the icing on the cake.
I do not mean to offend anyone, but, this integrated amp sounds a LOT better than any Class D or most other solid state Class A/B preamp/amps I've used.  All amps do NOT sound the same, regardless of the spin some people put out.  Measurements of single frequencies into resistors is not the same as playing back musical waveforms, period.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2013, 05:42 am »
Nice work, Freo.  I'm on the cusp of buying a pair of 1.7's but only if I can get my rather old Kenwood LO7 monos working.  There are a few guys with some pedigree known to The Houston Audio Society of which I am a member that I expect to be contacting.  Wish me luck.  Hope you'll keep posting about your experience.

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm »
Nice work, Freo.  I'm on the cusp of buying a pair of 1.7's but only if I can get my rather old Kenwood LO7 monos working.  There are a few guys with some pedigree known to The Houston Audio Society of which I am a member that I expect to be contacting.  Wish me luck.  Hope you'll keep posting about your experience.
Will do.  I do wish you luck in getting the Kenwood monos working. Let us know how you go with this.