Danny's V1 new skin.

Danny Richie

Re: Danny's V1 new skin.
« Reply #60 on: 19 May 2013, 10:07 pm »
Hey Guy,

That crispy, sparkle and/or ambiance that you are getting from the extended range driver is actually just added amplitude. It is a tipped up top end that makes it sound that way. Some like it and some don't. To me it is like someone shinning a car headlight in my face. I can't stand it. If you add a corrective network to tame the rising response and fix some of the peaked areas to get back to some level of accuracy, then you'll realize that those drivers really lack resolution up top.

Sounds like you are having fun though and two thumbs up for that.  :thumb:  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #61 on: 19 May 2013, 10:11 pm »
Hi Guy,

My bad.

My son got sick and had to spend a few days in FV Hospital so we had to cut the trip short. :(

May be next time.

Thanks,
Hi Hugh and all Audio Circle members.
Yes, both Mr. Thi and Mr. Van are really nice guy's,
that's why we will get tohether at least one more time.
I am still waiting for you to come visit me,
you are not far from my place.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #62 on: 19 May 2013, 10:23 pm »
Hi Guy
Hey,  just out of curiosity,  what  kind of $$  do they want for one o fthose amps  over there ?

-jay
Hi jay and all Audio Circle members.
Here it's Monday (5.20am) and later on this morning,
I will be returning the MONSTER to his owner
and at the same time ask a few questions,
one of which is the price.
My wild guess is around 800 USD,
I will get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks.

Guy 13 

bdp24

« Reply #63 on: 19 May 2013, 11:47 pm »
Guy, do the speakers sound better firing down the length of the room rather across it's width?

Guy 13

« Reply #64 on: 20 May 2013, 09:28 am »
Hey Guy,

That crispy, sparkle and/or ambiance that you are getting from the extended range driver is actually just added amplitude. It is a tipped up top end that makes it sound that way. Some like it and some don't. To me it is like someone shinning a car headlight in my face. I can't stand it. If you add a corrective network to tame the rising response and fix some of the peaked areas to get back to some level of accuracy, then you'll realize that those drivers really lack resolution up top.

Sounds like you are having fun though and two thumbs up for that.  :thumb:  :thumb:
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Yes, I am having lots of fun, I have to, Vietnam is so boring.
For me anyway.
Thanks for the explanation of your version of the crispiness.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #65 on: 20 May 2013, 09:36 am »
:lol:  Your posts are   great Guy, might be best for you health if you  don't let your wife read them .
Glad you were able to muscle that  amp up the stairs and into your listening room.
I am assuming   by your  post that  it  sounds  better than  what you'd expected after listiening to it a the  owner's shop .. glad you are enjoying it
I  have a week on my new Jolida 302c  and am really  loving the sound of he EL34 's as well

-jay
Hi jay with no capital letter  :lol:
and all Audio Circle members.
My wife is very understanding, she knows that I tease her all the time
because it's some kind of entertainment for me.
My set-up sounds better than ThiVan set up, maybe because of the source or the speakers or a combination of both.
I've seen many reviews by reviewers and owners on the Jolida tube amplifiers and they are all good, for Made in China audio stuff.
I guess that's because they have been making amplifier for some time now, therefore, with time, time had to become good.
May I know here or with a PM what's your set-up, I am just curious.
I don't know if you call tell me if the Tung Sol EL-34B is a good choice
or do you have good experience with other brands.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #66 on: 20 May 2013, 09:42 am »
Here it's Monday (5.20am) and later on this morning,
I will be returning the MONSTER to his owner
and at the same time ask a few questions,
one of which is the price.
My wild guess is around 800 USD,
I will get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks.

Guy 13
Around luch time, I went to ThiVan showrrom to bring back their amplifier and we talk about the price of the monster.
I was right (Dead on) with my estimate, it 800 USD for a 35wpc push pull power amplifier with four EL-34.
For the same price he can build a SET with a switch from triode to pentode mode
with about 10 wpc.
He says he will built one for my so I can try it to see if I like it more than the push-pull.
I told him that I cannot guarantee that I will buy it, he told me that if I don't buy it, some Vietnamese will.
Again, I am very anxious to do more listening with new monster or pussy cat amplifier.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #67 on: 20 May 2013, 09:48 am »
Guy, do the speakers sound better firing down the length of the room rather across it's width?
Hi bdp24 and all Audio Circle members.
At first I thought that placing/positioning the speakers on the longer wall was better, but I did not take into account that I was very close to the speakers.
(Near field listening)
When I move back the speakers to fire on the longer length (On the shorter wall near the amplifier) the sound was better at any distance from the speakers.
I will leave the speakers the way they are now.
I know very well that I really need some room treatment, but I am not spending the money, since nest yesr (Or even before) I will go back to Canada.
Once I am gone, who ever will use that/my listening room for Karaoke signing wont see the difference, especially the Vietnamese and that include my Vietnamese wife. :lol: 

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #68 on: 20 May 2013, 09:52 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Forgot to tell you that the same type of chassis amplifier with 300B is 1,000 USD.

Guy 13

bdp24

« Reply #69 on: 20 May 2013, 11:03 am »
Hey Guy,

Other than that Danny, do you like them?! :wink:

Captainhemo

« Reply #70 on: 20 May 2013, 07:13 pm »
Hi jay with no capital letter  :lol:
and all Audio Circle members.
My wife is very understanding, she knows that I tease her all the time
because it's some kind of entertainment for me.
My set-up sounds better than ThiVan set up, maybe because of the source or the speakers or a combination of both.
I've seen many reviews by reviewers and owners on the Jolida tube amplifiers and they are all good, for Made in China audio stuff.
I guess that's because they have been making amplifier for some time now, therefore, with time, time had to become good.
May I know here or with a PM what's your set-up, I am just curious.
I don't know if you call tell me if the Tung Sol EL-34B is a good choice
or do you have good experience with other brands.

Guy 13

Hi Guy
Well that is cool  you  will have another amp to audition with your V1 / V2's.  Should again be interesting  .  Will be neat to  hear the fiference between the PP and the SET amps on those speakers

I can't really help you  with  what EL34 tube to  try as I'm  kind of just getting into this.  From what I have rea,  if you don't mid spending the $$,  the Shuguang Treasure 6C!7  are very impressive,  I've also heard good things about the Genalex Gold Liion Kt77's, but again these aren't he cheapest  tubes out there.  Haven't heard the Tung Sol EL34B's's  but I have read that many  folks really like them and they can be had for a lot less $$ ($26/tube in Canada)

My setup in pretty simple Guy....
I now have the Jolida jd302crc  driving the OB7's.  I have a cheap ES9023 Savere based DAC and am prety much using my PC as a source Plan to replace the DAC down the road with something better     but I must say,  for the price, it sounds pretty  darn good

The Jolida  302CRC ver is the latest  release (has the upgraded caps, resistors, pots, diodes, fixed/variable pre outs etc )  from Jolida which is based in  Mayland US and headed my Mike Allen who was  very helpful  when I emailed Jolida with some questions  about     the  amp (especailly considering I was buying it used)

In case anyone is intrested here is an interesting  read about   the  how/why there  are Jolida being sold in  China as well as the US  (they are all  manufactured in China  but Jolida (US) does all their upgrades/final assembly/testing  in Maryladn)
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jolida-vs-jolida.241469/

It is  an interesting story  (gets intresting in  a post a few diwn from the top by KT88)

Anyway,  so far I am really pleased with it. Love   the sound  and it drives the OB7's  just fine.  They sound great together :)

-Jay <--- Is that better Guy ?  :)

danny, let us know if this has gone too far off topic and we can take it private

Guy 13

« Reply #71 on: 21 May 2013, 12:01 am »
Hi Guy
Well that is cool  you  will have another amp to audition with your V1 / V2's.  Should again be interesting  .  Will be neat to  hear the fiference between the PP and the SET amps on those speakers

I can't really help you  with  what EL34 tube to  try as I'm  kind of just getting into this.  From what I have rea,  if you don't mid spending the $$,  the Shuguang Treasure 6C!7  are very impressive,  I've also heard good things about the Genalex Gold Liion Kt77's, but again these aren't he cheapest  tubes out there.  Haven't heard the Tung Sol EL34B's's  but I have read that many  folks really like them and they can be had for a lot less $$ ($26/tube in Canada)

My setup in pretty simple Guy....
I now have the Jolida jd302crc  driving the OB7's.  I have a cheap ES9023 Savere based DAC and am prety much using my PC as a source Plan to replace the DAC down the road with something better     but I must say,  for the price, it sounds pretty  darn good

The Jolida  302CRC ver is the latest  release (has the upgraded caps, resistors, pots, diodes, fixed/variable pre outs etc )  from Jolida which is based in  Mayland US and headed my Mike Allen who was  very helpful  when I emailed Jolida with some questions  about     the  amp (especailly considering I was buying it used)

In case anyone is intrested here is an interesting  read about   the  how/why there  are Jolida being sold in  China as well as the US  (they are all  manufactured in China  but Jolida (US) does all their upgrades/final assembly/testing  in Maryladn)
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jolida-vs-jolida.241469/

It is  an interesting story  (gets intresting in  a post a few diwn from the top by KT88)

Anyway,  so far I am really pleased with it. Love   the sound  and it drives the OB7's  just fine.  They sound great together :)

-Jay <--- Is that better Guy ?  :)

danny, let us know if this has gone too far off topic and we can take it private

Hi Jay and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for your comments on your audio system.
I don't think Danny will mind if we are off topic as long as we mention is products
in our posts.

Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 21 May 2013, 12:38 am »

You guys are fine.

Guy 13

« Reply #73 on: 21 May 2013, 01:18 am »