Wave pattern on the ribbon and mylar on MG1.7

Danne

Wave pattern on the ribbon and mylar on MG1.7
« on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:36 pm »
Hi

On one of my MG1.7, there is wave pattern on the mylar and ribbon around the discs (resonator discs?) that are in the middle region of the mylar. It seems like it's the discs or the attachment of the discs that has created this.
Is this normal? do anyone knows what creates this?  I guess this is an error done in manufacturing, but would Magnepan think this is ok to ship out?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Wave pattern on the ribbon and mylar on MG1.7
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:31 pm »
That's a weird one - let me steer Wendell to your picture.
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:48 pm »
Looks like something fell onto or into it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm »
Or it was dropped and you're looking at air pressure damage. 
Contact Magnepan, please.

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm »
Doubtful if it left Magnepan that way.

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2013, 11:40 pm »
Sometime back there was a big ruckus about shoddy manufacturing and a picture of a much less severe case was shown as proof.
It's amazing, shipping companies can break an anvil.

josh358

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:20 am »
Sometime back there was a big ruckus about shoddy manufacturing and a picture of a much less severe case was shown as proof.
It's amazing, shipping companies can break an anvil.
Or put a fork lift into my Tympanis . . .

Was the ruckus the one that looked like someone had put a footprint on the diaphragm? That one turned out to be thermal damage.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:26 am »
No, this was a weird looking ribbon at one of the dots.
The damage was very similar to this one but on a much smaller scale.
I know that the UPS guy dropped my 1.7s in the driveway as I found a broken strap on my sidewalk; luckily, it was a light bump instead of being flipped off the back of the truck.

josh358

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:43 am »
OK, I think I remember that one.

pansixt

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
I got a shipping notice from Magnepan yesterday.

This is all making me very nervous :shh:

James

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:36 am »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Danne

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:36 am »
Please, let Wendell take a look at it if possible. I need to know if this is something I can just ignore, and this has no sonic impact (doubt that) and the mylar lifelength is not shortened by this. But my guess is this has sonic impact and I need to replace the speaker (or both) somehow.
I will try and contact Magnepan about it.

I was sure it had to do with the "resonator" black discs on the mylar, but sure, if something external pushed the mylar or discs in that area, that might bend the ribbon, since it seems like it's the ribbon that now creates the wave pattern. But it looks like it could have been an error when attaching the small discs as well, since the pattern seems to come from those, like they have been pushed and then bent the ribbon.

Thanks for your ideas.

That's a weird one - let me steer Wendell to your picture.
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:18 am »
Give them a call and see if it needs to be rebuilt.
They've very nice people to deal with.
They've seen the picture and knew exactly how it happened.
Are these new or used?  Did these just show up? 
I ask as this is shipping damage.

josh358

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:06 pm »
Just in case it isn't clear, Wendell saw the picture. His words were "That is air pressure damage from shipping. It was dropped. Ouch!!!"

So I agree with Steve (and Wendell himself) -- you have to call them about this. They can discuss repairs and help you with insurance claims and the like. If this isn't a warranty matter, I hope you can make a claim. Fedex compensated me for the damage to my Tympanis, but you could see the fork lift gash in the box and I reported it right away.

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2013, 07:15 pm »
Just in case it isn't clear, Wendell saw the picture. His words were "That is air pressure damage from shipping. It was dropped. Ouch!!!"

So I agree with Steve (and Wendell himself) -- you have to call them about this. They can discuss repairs and help you with insurance claims and the like. If this isn't a warranty matter, I hope you can make a claim. Fedex compensated me for the damage to my Tympanis, but you could see the fork lift gash in the box and I reported it right away.

Getting a repair estimate is mandatory....FedEx will most assuredly deny the claim saying it wasn't packed to their requirements or such.   This is their standard practice as most will walk away from legitimate claims.  Don't let them bully you, be persistent and even ask to escalate it to their executive office....again, they will try to avoid this, but it is your right.  The leveling of the playing field is the Carmack Amendment see and open the link below:

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-carmack-amendment-implications-for-72216/

Keep all of the packing materials as FedEx will want to come and see them....most of in transit damage claims are where things are dropped and do not necessarily result in damage to the shipping box.

Josh:

I had a 1937 Martin D-18 that I shipped to one of my customers and FedEx did the same thing, drive a fork lift blade through it.  They claimed that since they don't use fork lifts, it was not their responsibility....BS. They then said because it was a rare musical instrument that it wasn't covered under their tariff's and actually sent me a check for $100 hoping that I would be foolish enough to cash it.   They settled the claim in full after I reminded them of Carmack.   They kept the damaged Martin, hopefully they had it repaired/restored. 

Jim

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2013, 08:35 pm »
Getting a repair estimate is mandatory....FedEx will most assuredly deny the claim saying it wasn't packed to their requirements or such.   This is their standard practice as most will walk away from legitimate claims.  Don't let them bully you, be persistent and even ask to escalate it to their executive office....again, they will try to avoid this, but it is your right.  The leveling of the playing field is the Carmack Amendment see and open the link below:

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-carmack-amendment-implications-for-72216/

Keep all of the packing materials as FedEx will want to come and see them....most of in transit damage claims are where things are dropped and do not necessarily result in damage to the shipping box.

Josh:

I had a 1937 Martin D-18 that I shipped to one of my customers and FedEx did the same thing, drive a fork lift blade through it.  They claimed that since they don't use fork lifts, it was not their responsibility....BS. They then said because it was a rare musical instrument that it wasn't covered under their tariff's and actually sent me a check for $100 hoping that I would be foolish enough to cash it.   They settled the claim in full after I reminded them of Carmack.   They kept the damaged Martin, hopefully they had it repaired/restored. 

Jim
Good advice, and a salutory story. I'd never even heard of Carmack. I'm lucky that they didn't give me trouble over my claim, presumably since the damage was obvious and the cartons were the manufacturer's. (They actually tried to pay me for *both* speakers, but I didn't want them to take my speakers! Just pay for the repair.)

medium jim

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2013, 08:50 pm »
One thing to know, Carmack is Federal Law which supersedes State Laws.

Jim

Danne

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2013, 08:22 am »
Ok, damage from shipping. Good to know, unfortunately they are bought used, though shipped from the the original dealer who had them traded in from the first buyer.
Also unfortunately I did not open them up immediately when I got them due to renovating the new music room.
This can be from the first shipment out from Magnepan as well, since it's not that easy to see without correct light so previous owner can have missed this.
This will be a mess, but good to know that they should not look like this, and what can/should have caused it.
And this is not in US, which make everything much more costy and timeconsuming if involving Magnepan.
Thanks for all help and advice, do appreciate it!
Happy easter... :roll:

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2013, 08:37 am »
that sucks!

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2013, 11:22 am »
One thought, if it affects the sound, that would pretty much put it between the dealer and you, wouldn't it? Assuming someone (dealer or whoever the dealer got it from) wasn't trying to pawn off a damaged speaker on an unsuspecting buyer.