Your thoughts on this Technics SP10 mk2 candidate for a professional restoration

audiogoober

I found what looks to be a "decent" sp-10 mk2 locally and am considering going to look at it but I wanted to ask everyone's opinion if this one in particular would be a good candidate for a professional restoration by others. I've e-mailed a few companies that specialize in Technics TT restorations but wanted to ask the AC community for opinions as well.

All the information that I have so far is below and I can get this all locally for $525. Please let me know your thoughts.

Here is what I have so far:

"Technics SP-10MKII Turntable + Technics SH-10E Power Supply + Classic Shure SME Model 3009 Tone Arm

Note! Unmounted turntable and tone arm - you'll need to custom mount or commission mount this rig, or pop it into your own table -

One of the greatest turntables ever made. Includes proper power supply, which is a pain to get separately. Classic Shure SME 3009 tone arm comes with the package, which you can use or mix and match your preferred arm. Tone arm will need fresh cartridge. Only noted issue: the chrome on the turntable is peeling. Pricing reflects that. Your gain, this is super classic solid turntable action. Could be awesome"

Jeff V.

I have a couple SP-10 MK2a turntables.  They are great direct drive TT's in my opinion.

The table in the photo looks pretty rough.  I would check it out in person to see how it runs.  Also give the SME a good look.  If both the table & arm are working properly I'd definitely go for it.  Personally I'd pick it up regardless.

What kind of restoration are you looking to have done?  If you are going to have the caps replaced I highly recommend Bill Thalmann.  He did some work on one of my tables.  His work is top notch 

I'd be interested to know if you pick it up.  Good luck!

Jeff

audiogoober

I have a couple SP-10 MK2a turntables.  They are great direct drive TT's in my opinion.

The table in the photo looks pretty rough.  I would check it out in person to see how it runs.  Also give the SME a good look.  If both the table & arm are working properly I'd definitely go for it.  Personally I'd pick it up regardless.

What kind of restoration are you looking to have done?  If you are going to have the caps replaced I highly recommend Bill Thalmann.  He did some work on one of my tables.  His work is top notch 

I'd be interested to know if you pick it up.  Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Yes, it's in pretty rough shape but I think I'd regret it if I passed it up. I'm considering having the entire unit reworked/modded/restored and am considering having Artisan Fidelity do it for me. The SP-10 mk2's they have on audiogon look amazing, but I'm open to checking out other guys and will definitely contact Bill as well. Thanks for the reference.

I don't think there's any way for me to test any of it. This is the response that I received from the seller when I asked if the power supply works properly:

"Power supply: I don't know, as I don't have the other stuff to put the rig together. I do know this: the red LED power indicator light comes on when the power supply is switched on, and that the power supply was working when the rig was decommissioned".

This response leads me to believe the unit is in pieces and this would prohibit me from testing prior to purchase/pick up...

This would be my very first TT, but I do know how popular (and rare) the SP-10mk2's are. The rest of my two channel rig is very high end (listed below) so I think this TT/PS along with a good phono stage would be amazing. Plus, I just acquired about 350 LP's in mint condition so now I don't have any more excuses for not getting into vinyl. I've been wanting to get into it for about 30 years so I think this project would be a good way to dive in.

Any thoughts?

my current system:

Pass Labs XA-160.5 monoblocks
First Sound Paramount Plus mkIII preamp
Daedalus Ulysses AP speakers
Bolder modified Squeezebox Touch and Deluxe PS
Meitner MA-1 DAC
Furman SPR-20i voltage regulator
JPS and Dynamic Design cables 
Multiple 20A dedicated lines

Jeff V.

The table & PS can be checked easily.  Just plug the PS cable into the TT & power it up.  When you hit the start button on the table it should spin at the proper speed immediately.  You can verify this from the strobe light on the SP10.  Check if the platter spins freely with no wobble.  This might help determine if the platter bearing is ok.

If you don't mind I'd like to send you a PM later.  Have a few questions about your system.

Jeff

TONEPUB

Great table, but sometimes it's better to pay more for one in better shape. You might be cheaper off in the long run...

Just like restoring classic cars.

audiogoober

If you don't mind I'd like to send you a PM later.  Have a few questions about your system.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

PM me anytime.

Greg

audiogoober

Great table, but sometimes it's better to pay more for one in better shape. You might be cheaper off in the long run...

Just like restoring classic cars.

Thank you. Your comment makes a lot of sense and I think it's at least worth checking it out.

2bigears

:D  good comment about comparing old tt's to old cars .. it's a hobby and you like old iron,, and or do they sound just as good or better than newer tables in the same $$$$ bracket .... :D  i think classic cars are wonderful to look at ,, but they did nothing well, and i mean nothing .. junk .. :D

i could be wrong ..  :D

orthobiz

i think classic cars are wonderful to look at ,, but they did nothing well, and i mean nothing .. junk .. :D

i could be wrong ..  :D

One thing my 1974 1.8liter 914 does is put a great, big smile on my face each and every time I drive it!

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Artisan Fidelity is the company that sells fully restored SP-10MKII, with high end arm, for around $9K.
If you're looking for that kind of set up I hardly think it's worth your time messing with a beat up table with an arm you'll want to replace.  That table is for someone on a tighter budget, IMO.  Send it to Thalmann for electronics therapy and take it from there.

I agree with Tonepub.  It's probably not worth your time and effort.  On the other hand, take a gander at this:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-technics-sp-10-mk-ii-quasi-nos-2013-03-17-analog-germany

With plinth and arm you'll still be spending some money, but
neo

audiogoober

I agree with Tonepub.  It's probably not worth your time and effort.  On the other hand, take a gander at this:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-technics-sp-10-mk-ii-quasi-nos-2013-03-17-analog-germany

Yep, I saw that one. Seller has no feedback and is from Germany. An automatic red flag for me.

I'll probably pass on the local one I was considering. However, Christopher at Artisan Fidelity said I would be ahead of the game financially if I purchased it and sent it to him for a total restoration/mod....versus buying one already done from him.

audiogoober

I decided to decline on the first potential candidate.....BUT, this listing on audiogon has really sparked my interest.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-technics-sp10-mk2-i-see-your-true-color-2013-03-29-analog-13224-syracuse-ny

Does anyone think I should not jump on this?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."

I decided to decline on the first potential candidate.....BUT, this listing on audiogon has really sparked my interest.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-technics-sp10-mk2-i-see-your-true-color-2013-03-29-analog-13224-syracuse-ny

Does anyone think I should not jump on this?

I considered one of his tables, but ended up with an Artisan Fidelity.  Couldn't be happier...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Definitely the one to get, IMO.  You can also get the SH-10 b3 with it.   I saw this ad yesterday and was going to post it.

Looks like he has some interesting tables coming soon. 
neo

audiogoober

Definitely the one to get, IMO.  You can also get the SH-10 b3 with it.   I saw this ad yesterday and was going to post it.

Looks like he has some interesting tables coming soon. 
neo

Yep....I just reserved one along with a PS. WooHoo!!

Once  they're finished and arrive, I'll post some pics and comments on them.

audiogoober

I considered one of his tables, but ended up with an Artisan Fidelity.  Couldn't be happier...

Could you give me an idea how much $$ you have invested in your SP-10mk2 and PS including the restoration with Artisan Fidelity? Pictures of your unit would be a great reference tool for me as well. If you'd rather PM me that's fine too.

Thanks in advance.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Could you give me an idea how much $$ you have invested in your SP-10mk2 and PS including the restoration with Artisan Fidelity? Pictures of your unit would be a great reference tool for me as well. If you'd rather PM me that's fine too.

Thanks in advance.

This is my table.  It was Chris' first build where the original SP10 housing was completely removed.  Electronics are housed in a stand-alone enclosure.  You can see additional images on the Artisan Fidelity website.  This style of build runs around $7K including the sourcing and refurbishment of the SP10.  Versions with the original Technics housing built into a constrained layer unit typically run between $5K and $7K depending on finish.

audiogoober

This is my table.  It was Chris' first build where the original SP10 housing was completely removed.  Electronics are housed in a stand-alone enclosure.  You can see additional images on the Artisan Fidelity website.  This style of build runs around $7K including the sourcing and refurbishment of the SP10.  Versions with the original Technics housing built into a constrained layer unit typically run between $5K and $7K depending on finish.

Very Very Nice.....thanks!

TONEPUB

One thing my 1974 1.8liter 914 does is put a great, big smile on my face each and every time I drive it!

Paul

Oh man, that brings back some GREAT memories!  Fantastic car.  I had a yellow 74 1.8 and it was definitely one of my favorite cars.  Always regret selling it but it went to a great home.  The guy took my one owner, really clean 914 and did a full restoration.

If I'm ever in your neighborhood, I'd buy you dinner for a ride around the block in that!

:)

vortrex

looks like phoenix red?  I had the same color, '73 2.0.