Your thoughts on this Technics SP10 mk2 candidate for a professional restoration

xsb7244

There sure is a lot of info to read about the great Technics SP10.  My take on this.  If the Technics is still working and not dead send it to
Bill Thalmann for overhaul.  Do your homework.  There is a lot to read about Bill concerning his repair of the Technics.  He appears to be one of
the best at restoring this turntable.  Also he can do the great Richard Krebs mod to the Technics SP10.  Bill can transform this turntable.  Last but
not least have the turntable powercoated or have an auto body shop paint it.  All this will be less expensive than the other options.  Go vinyl.

xsb7244

audiogoober,
What options are you getting?  What about the Richard Krebs mod?

audiogoober

audiogoober,
What options are you getting?  What about the Richard Krebs mod?

I ended up purchasing a different SP10-mk2a and power supply than I originally planned. This set is in MUCH better condition....I'll post/update the photos of it this weekend.

Yes, Bill Thalmann is going to go through it and do the Richard Krebs mod, plus a few other things he's got up his sleeve. Then, a slate plinth from OMA (Oswalds Mill Audio) will be ordered. After that, I'll need to get it stripped and powder coated and am unsure who will do that.

Any suggestions on a good powder coating shop?

Thanks.

xsb7244

audiogoober, for a first turntable you got an awesome expensive restoration project.  Me, I have a modest Technics SL1200 MK2.  Can Bill have
somebody close to him paint or powder coat the turntable?  If you do it locally would not the turntable have to be taken apart?  Anyway, you
need somebody great to power coat or paint.  Maybe your turntable can be restored without painting or powercoating?  What tonearm should
you get?  suggestions please.  Not to mention cartridge, and phono stage. 

audiogoober

audiogoober, for a first turntable you got an awesome expensive restoration project.  Me, I have a modest Technics SL1200 MK2.  Can Bill have
somebody close to him paint or powder coat the turntable?  If you do it locally would not the turntable have to be taken apart?  Anyway, you
need somebody great to power coat or paint.  Maybe your turntable can be restored without painting or powercoating?  What tonearm should
you get?  suggestions please.  Not to mention cartridge, and phono stage.

Thanks xbs7244!

Yes, I decided to take my time and go all out for my first TT!

I'm doing a LOT of research and talking with several SP10 mk2 owners and have come up with the following plans:

As far as arm and cartridge combos,  I'm looking at the following below but am certainly open to suggestions:

- Kuzma 4point with the Van Den Hul Frog (or possibly Colibri)

- Kuzma Stogi S-12

- Graham phantom supreme II with the VTA a adjustment tower

- Reed 3P

- SME12"

- Original Technics EPA100 if I can find one

The phonostage will most likely be a K&K Premium Maxxed, but I haven't ruled out the Herron Audio VTPH-2.

I'm going to take my time with a lot of the build and am in no rush. Hopefully, this will assure I'm happy in the end, and keep me from going bankrupt! It will also give me things to look forward to.

audiogoober

Here's some photos of the lucky candidate I ended up purchasing. I'll post more after the work is finished.

xsb7244

audiogoober for your Technics SP10.  Paul Hynes Design high performance power supply SR7EHD.  I hope Bill 's power supply mod is as good.
Triode Wire Labs power cord to replace Technics.  Phono interconnects?  Pete Riggle tonearm.  Analog Instruments Limited tonearm by James Grant.  Phantom 11 Supreme tonearm.  Schroeder tonearm.  RCM Loricraft.  MC step-up transformer.  Dave Slagle Intact Audio, $1500 copper,
$2500 silver SUT.  Applied Fidelity bearing upgrade by Jim Howard ( tubesforever )

audiogoober

audiogoober for your Technics SP10.  Paul Hynes Design high performance power supply SR7EHD.  I hope Bill 's power supply mod is as good.
Triode Wire Labs power cord to replace Technics.  Phono interconnects?  Pete Riggle tonearm.  Analog Instruments Limited tonearm by James Grant.  Phantom 11 Supreme tonearm.  Schroeder tonearm.  RCM Loricraft.  MC step-up transformer.  Dave Slagle Intact Audio, $1500 copper,
$2500 silver SUT.  Applied Fidelity bearing upgrade by Jim Howard ( tubesforever )

Thanks. I'll do some research. Are you a sp10 owner?

xsb7244

audiogoober, I wish I had a SP10.  I have a Technics SL1200MK2.  Better than nothing I guess.  By the way, that OMA slate plinth looks super super nice.  You going first class I am going coach!!  But the ears can adjust to the sound.  I mean this.  No matter how hi fi or low fi the music is
I just appreciate how good the song is and how much I like the beat.  You are carried away by the music and not the fidelity.  My system is modest but I enjoy reading about Hi Fi .

audiogoober

audiogoober, I wish I had a SP10.  I have a Technics SL1200MK2.  Better than nothing I guess.  By the way, that OMA slate plinth looks super super nice.  You going first class I am going coach!!  But the ears can adjust to the sound.  I mean this.  No matter how hi fi or low fi the music is
I just appreciate how good the song is and how much I like the beat.  You are carried away by the music and not the fidelity.  My system is modest but I enjoy reading about Hi Fi .

Xsb7244: I totally agree and often enjoy music through my mp3 player while biking or on the treadmill just as much as much as I do while listening to my dedicated system.

xsb7244

Where I work may times I get to listen to live music.  No stereo can beat that can it?  Hi Fi is suppose to imitate live music.  But hearing live music is like swimming in the ocean an uncontrolled environment.  I hear in live music a distorted sound.  Hearing recorded music is like swimming in the pool a controlled setting.  Hearing recorded music can be disappointing.  Live music is disappointing unless the environment is
controlled.

xsb7244

audiogoober, I did a lot of reading.  Many SP10 fans do not want it painted or powder coated.  Says  it destroys resale value.

xsb7244

audiogoober, once the Technics is done by Bill let us know in detail what was done to it.  This will help the next guy that wants a SP10.  The first
big decision was who to work on the Technics and Bill was a great choice!  The second big decision is the tonearm.  Which one?  Guys give us
your comments.  The Graham Phantom 11 Supreme Tonearm is one of the finest.  Is there anything better for the price?  A lot of comments on this one by owners.  On the down side the Supreme is very very expensive.  10 inch or 12 inch tonearm?  The Supreme needs a DIN to RCA
tonearm cable, which brand to get besides Graham?  Buying a stereo is like buying a car.  A big decision.  Me my knowlege about stereo is very superficial.  You experts in audioland chime in.  audiogoober is going all out to assemble a very fine vinyl system.  And pass it on to his kids one day!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
I can highly recommend the Kuzma 4Point if it's in the budget:

xsb7244

audiogoober,  I assume the Technics has an attached power cord.  Will bill make an iec for a detachable power cord so you can switch power cords?

audiogoober

audiogoober,  I assume the Technics has an attached power cord.  Will bill make an iec for a detachable power cord so you can switch power cords?

Yes, Bill will install an IEC connector.

xsb7244

audiogoober, I have been reading and researching again.  For those tonearms that do not come with cables and require DIN to RCA and if you
need phono cables etc contact DaveC113.  See if he can make the cables for you.  The phono and tonearm cables can cost $500 and up.  From
my readings with DaveC113 a member of Audiocircle you get quality stuff for the price.

xsb7244

audiogoober,
Caveat emptor on how to pick a tonearm.  Tonearm "A" cost $10,000 and is suppose to be superior.  The Siggwan tonearm by James Grant may
be just as good for NZ$1480.  Who knows if tonearm A is superior to tonearm B.  You need a side by side comparison conducted over a period
of time.  You need the same turntable and the same cartridge and switch back and forth.  Or play each one for an hour.  Do this for a period of time.  Good luck on deciding what tonearm to pick.

J-Pak

Greg, any updates with this project?

xsb7244

What happened to the audiogoober turntable?