Headphone users, where have you been?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Headphone users, where have you been?
« on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm »
Noticed the headphone circle is not active as it used to be, where have you been guys? enjoying new gear? going to headphone meets? you may want to share with us your latest headphones/gear experiences.  :)

milford3

Re: Headphone users, where have you been?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:56 pm »
I've been home enjoying my new Beyer T1's  These audiophile wonders will never leave my ears. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2013, 07:14 pm »
Nothing new here but I am listening to FM on the Harman Kardon F500x/WooAudio 6/Beyerdynamics DT880 set up right now.
Every so often I'll think about selling this combination and then I listen to it and forget all about selling it.

The crystal ball shows new Stax gear in my future after I take care of a few things.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2013, 09:08 pm »
I bought a set of HE-500's not too long ago, they were on sale but still easily the test I have spent for a set of cans.

Pretty happy with them so far, no real weakness and well recorder vocals sound great on them.

In this neverending hobby, going to upgrade my source next, and then my HP amp.

Randy

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm »
Coming in next month for long weekend visit is a fellow AC'er for a local concert with Katatonia & Opeth.  Most of the time (of course) we'll be evaluating and sampling many audio opportunities.  On top of the list will be a day-long activity testing headphones and amps.  The cans  to be on hand will be Senn HD555, Beyerdynamics T1 (these should be nothing less than stellar if all the reviews are on target) and the Beyerdynamics DT990 600 ohm.  Amplification:  Nuforce Udac2, Decware Zen Head, Pioneer SX-850 SS receiver and Denon AVR-1906.  Sources:  CD, SACD, DVDA, FLAC, MP3, and Vinyl.  We're not looking at anything scientific with measurements, just an impromptu, relaxed day to just "listen".  Looking forward to it.  Yes, refreshments on the menu.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2013, 12:05 am »
If someone wants to buy me a set of HD800s or LCD2s, I promise to write a thorough and detailed review.
 :roll:
[crickets]

Right now- Enjoying my replacement Etymotic hf3's which Ety was kind enough to replace even though the problem was probably my fault.

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2013, 12:19 am »
FireGuy, you forgot about the Schiit Valhalla amp.  The Katatonia & Opeth concert will be a hoot.  My first concert in twenty five years.

brooklyn

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:07 am »
This is my system at present. My first serious headphone setup, it's plugged into a Mac Mini.
The sound is a little on the soft side for me and I'm thinking it's the PS Audio GCHA, the AKG's Q701's
are still breaking in although some albums sound unbelievable.

It does sound good but it's not exactly where I want to be with the sound.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:11 am »
I've been home enjoying my new Beyer T1's  These audiophile wonders will never leave my ears. :thumb:

I would advise at least a shower cap  :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:43 pm »
Latest acquistion was an Onkyo YX 8050 Stereo Network Receiver...

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8050-Network-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004UR486G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363617558&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+stereo+network+receiver

Using a USB drive attached to it...via a front panel port...really neat....

Then I am using its internal head amp for listening.....

and

Then I have an Objective 2 amp connected to the AVR's preamp output so I can listen to the O2 amp vs the Internal head amp..

I use this alot when working from home...plug the audeze LCD2's into this and select music from the hard drive or Pandora or many of the network selections for streaming music...

Discovering lots of new great music via pandora...

This receiver for the money and its wonderful synergy with headphones is a nice toy to play with thats very affordable...

Alex

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2013, 03:16 pm »
Quote:  Discovering lots of new great music via pandora...

SomaFm is another good source you might want to check out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SomaFM

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm »
Good to know you're still around folks,  :thumb:
I've been reading more about the modified Fostex T-50 RP (Aka mad dogs) they are on my radar.

@milford, are you using stock cables with yout T1's? i assume you are using the schiit with them.

@randy, whats your current source/amp?

Thanks for the suggestion fireguy, im getting tired of the same music albums now  :green:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:01 am »
I've been watching from the sidelines a bit....lots of stuff going on here. Lost a roomate to illness, busy finding new one, lots of major changes.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:16 am »
actually,you cant beat loudspeaker listening...,headphones are lofi end.... :green:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:32 am »
good to see you around Ed, hope all goes well.  :)

Lol Georgopoulos, that is a never-ending topic (speakers vs headphones)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm »
Kind of agree with George..

Even though I like headphones...

Being an old EE, and HAM, I like tinkering and building...and like to see how well the can world has progressed...

I built  several DIY amps and enjoyed the experience, the designers goals, the smell of hot melting solder!!

The thrill of turning the amp on for the first time and smiling...

But everytime I go back to my Salk Speakers....well there is no comparison to be fair.

Now.....do I still want those beyer dt1350's?

Alex
 8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:33 pm »
I cranked up my main rig the other day and had a ball listening to whatever I wanted, sounded awesome to me also. I enjoy headphones at times just as much, I don't personally have a favorite type of listening. I use both as the situation dictates more than having a preference for one or the other.

I walk a lot for my health and use IEM's for that, late night movies or private listening are Amperior duty and the JBL's fill the room while I watch a sporting event like F1 racing or football. The fact that either one sounds good to me is the best part..I think the folks whose only exposure to music is from an ipod are missing a huge chunk of enjoyment. Not judging them just saying there is so much in this hobby of hifi to check out they might be selling themselves short and missing a whole bunch of fun.

Music is the bottom line and enjoying it is the ultimate reason we're in this hobby after all. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2013, 09:23 pm »

Music is the bottom line and enjoying it is the ultimate reason we're in this hobby after all. :thumb:

Amen, Edwardo!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm »
Busy building the basement into a 2nd family room.

Outfitting that room for decent 5.1 at the expense of 2 channel.

Will use headphones more for listening to music in the future, and happy to do so!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2013, 09:15 pm »
Well, headphones give you a more intimate listening experience and i dont have to deal with angry neighbors like (when using my speaker system)  :D