Headphone users, where have you been?

brooklyn

Re: Headphone users, where have you been?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2013, 05:03 am »
I do like my new headphone system very much but my
two channel audio system sounds much better.
It a lot more life like.

MttBsh

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:07 am »
I love the sound of my full system but just acquired some Beyerdynamic T1s and am playing them through an Eastern Electric DAC plus and a Woo WA2. There are details popping out on good recordings that I can't hear on my quite highly resolving amps and speaker system.

milford3

« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:13 am »
Dalethron, you have picked-up on one thing I've known for some time.  Headphones (not cheap ones) are just different from speakers.  I listen to both my mains and headphones. (Beyer T1's and DT990)  When listening to the T1's it's like touching a cloud.  I do listen to both but when all said and done the headphones come first.  Just me I guess! :)   

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:21 am »
It's been headphones for nearly a week as I'm waiting for one preamp to arrive and parts for another to show up.
The sound is good but I am really tired of being tied to a cord.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:34 am »
Are there any really good cordless headphones? 

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:57 am »

Audio quality wireless phones that work well and sound sweet.
I have the Senn RS180 and the RS 220. The RS 220 are a big step up in clarity and detail but the RS180 allow a much greater distance to roam.
The Senn RS220 are really a beautifully built system but remember it is best to feed them digitally and avoid 1/8th or RCA input
Best,
Tom.

Supposedly the new Semmheiser RS220 is excellent.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2013, 11:20 am »
The Senns are the ones right now for wireless. I bought cheap $99 Sony's around the holiday for TV watching late night and they work OK if you set them up right....I was surprised actually. Definitely not audiophile (Sony's at that price point weren't for me) but they work. The Senns are the ones I'd get if I had the cash......I hate cords, absolutely hate them...... :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2013, 01:47 pm »
Good to know you're still around folks,  :thumb:
I've been reading more about the modified Fostex T-50 RP (Aka mad dogs) they are on my radar.

@milford, are you using stock cables with yout T1's? i assume you are using the schiit with them.

@randy, whats your current source/amp?

Thanks for the suggestion fireguy, im getting tired of the same music albums now  :green:

My better late than never response

Source is an ifiaudio iDAC.  It's is in the now crowded field of value USB DACs.
I bought because of the pedigree of the designer (Thorsten) and am happy with it.

It was fed until recently by a Pogoplug, but started using a Macbook running Jriver to drive the iDAC.

Reason for the Macbook and Jriver is I am working on a DSD capable DAC project, hope to get that going later this year.  I am buying the "guts" of it, but will need to case it, and do some other stuff to finish it.

Amp is a "stacker".  I think there are maybe 10 of these in the world, it was a DIY project that didn't get out of the prototype stage. I think they had trouble making it stable, I bought from one of the builders, and my stacker works fine.

It is a tube hybrid amp, running 6sn7's in it with tube rectification.  I did some tube rolling when I got it.
It sounds good, but I am looking to possible build an amp with more output juice to drive my cans, but that would be either late this year, more likely next year kind of think.

Randy

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #29 on: 1 Apr 2013, 05:10 pm »
Supposedly the new Semmheiser RS220 is excellent.

They are often compared to the HD600 in terms of SQ.

FireGuy

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2013, 07:16 pm »
Opeth and Katatonia coming up tonight at the Ballroom in Buffalo.  Headphone nirvana in the head lights after the concert.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:08 pm »
Opeth and Katatonia coming up tonight at the Ballroom in Buffalo.  Headphone nirvana in the head lights after the concert.

Certainly this solid aluminium box is not from a Sennheiser phones.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2013, 01:11 am »
The amp looks a Decware Zen Head:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenhead.htm

milford3

« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:37 am »
The small speaker in the rear is the Axiom M2v3's. 

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m2-bookshelf-speakers

KingStyles

« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2013, 06:17 am »
I never really thought to read and reply to the headphone section here. Better late than never.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #35 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:12 pm »

It sounds good, but I am looking to possible build an amp with more output juice to drive my cans, but that would be either late this year, more likely next year kind of think.

Randy

Bottlehead crack with all the upgrades? or possibly a B22?

victor_cc

« Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2013, 08:00 pm »
I am new to the forum and I come from the headphones world having owned several super nice Audio Technicas and others. Now I am turning everything around and I just got a TBI Millenia MG3 to drive the Hifiman HE-6 and T50rp Paradox, a mix between the headphones and speakers world that made me join Audiocircle.

Cheers,

Victor.

cujobob

« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:00 pm »
I'm getting an O2 soon and really don't like most of my headphones currently (senn hdIIa, Maudio q40). I have Jh13s which are amazing but IEMs aren't really the same to me as what I believe a great headphone can be. I need to find a good open  circumaural headphone next and see if maybe it's just the closed phones bothering me. Used to love my grados when I got into this.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 21 Apr 2013, 07:17 pm »
I just got out of bed from dozing with a pair of Stax Sigmas on.
To my ears they're the perfect headphone.  Anything that ugly would have to sound great!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:43 pm »
I just got out of bed from dozing with a pair of Stax Sigmas on.
To my ears they're the perfect headphone.  Anything that ugly would have to sound great!

I always wanted to try some Stax (if they are considered headphones, they are Earspeakers  :wink:)

I'm getting an O2 soon and really don't like most of my headphones currently (senn hdIIa, Maudio q40). I have Jh13s which are amazing but IEMs aren't really the same to me as what I believe a great headphone can be. I need to find a good open  circumaural headphone next and see if maybe it's just the closed phones bothering me. Used to love my grados when I got into this.

What's wrong with the M40's? They are pretty decent from what i remember. I'd definitely get a pair for my collection.