Speccing out options on a STSC

tknx

Speccing out options on a STSC
« on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:24 pm »
I sent these to Jim, but thought about getting some wider input as I get ready to order some STSCs.

• Are the cabinets MDF, Baltic Birch, Marine Ply or other and how would you compare to the Bamboo construction option?
  • Is the 1" thick option worth it or do you feel it is unnecessary? Especially involving the bamboo or other materials.
  • Finally, what caps are in there? Would a modest cap upgrade be worthwhile or is the only thing that is going to lead to gains those ridiculously expensive CuTF V-caps?

Anyone have any (hopefully informed) opinions on these subjects?

Now just to figure out what finish...

Todd_A

Re: Speccing out options on a STSC
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:33 pm »
  • Are the cabinets MDF, Baltic Birch, Marine Ply or other and how would you compare to the Bamboo construction option?
  • Is the 1" thick option worth it or do you feel it is unnecessary? Especially involving the bamboo or other materials.
  • Finally, what caps are in there? Would a modest cap upgrade be worthwhile or is the only thing that is going to lead to gains those ridiculously expensive CuTF V-caps?

The standard cabinets are MDF, with a bamboo option.  I'm fine with MDF.  I find the 1" construction worthwhile on my current pair, and so I ordered it on my next pair of SCSTs.  The standard caps are Solen, I believe.  I opted for Sonicaps in my first pair of SCSTs, and I'm going for V-Caps in my new ones.  I don't know if the upgraded caps make a big difference - or any difference, for that matter - but I figured might as well go for them.  (And though I will have two pairs of SCSTs, I won't be able to really A/B since my new pair will be custom with different drivers.)

tknx

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:40 pm »
What drivers are you going for?

Todd_A

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:43 pm »
What drivers are you going for?

Changing the W15s to W16s.

tknx

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:54 pm »
I was wondering about switching to Accutons.. But worried that they would be voiced to differently on the design... The W16 may just be the safer move.

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:59 pm »
What are the advantage of the w16? It isnt a cheap woofer and for what is worth why not go with the ht2tl?
I have inquire Jim about accuton drivers and he informed that the Seas are more robust and suitable for the TL cabibet over the accuton.

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:00 pm »
I'd go with the 1" thick cabinets and forget about the rest.  You do what you gotta do, though - these are your new babies. :)

tknx

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:04 pm »
What are the advantage of the w16? It isnt a cheap woofer and for what is worth why not go with the ht2tl?
I have inquire Jim about accuton drivers and he informed that the Seas are more robust and suitable for the TL cabibet over the accuton.

I would except for depth of speakers would kill WAF. An HT-1L might be the right base to start off of though with a single W18. But I suspect dual W16s might be better - depends on whether you want to go 2-way or 3.

ricardojoa

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:04 pm »
Actually, anyone know which would be stiifer, a 1 inch MDF or 3/4Bamboo?
I think bamboo is very nice, it should be able to get a full solid front bafle over the one with trims on the mdf.

tknx

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:06 pm »
Or, 1" bamboo?

tknx

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:07 pm »
A bit of quick googling revealed this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109288.0

3/4" bamboo = 2" MDF.

ricardojoa

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:09 pm »
I would except for depth of speakers would kill WAF. An HT-1L might be the right base to start off of though with a single W18. But I suspect dual W16s might be better - depends on whether you want to go 2-way or 3.

The SCST has the same depth as the ht1TL. IMO think the SCSt are better choice due to higher senstivity. The dual 5 should have a slightly more cone area nd a bonus full front baffle which would be extra for the HT.

Todd_A

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:20 pm »

Bigger surface area and xmax, and it should still be smaller than an HT2-TL.  I'm after a bit more bass and max volume compared to an SCST, but in a very limited space, and a sub will not work in my room.  I considered a variety of options and ended up going with a custom W16 build. 

rohrej

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:00 pm »
I placed an order for SCSTs at the end of December and discussed most of these options with Jim prior to doing so.  I also ruled out the HT2-TL due to WAF issues.

I went with the 1" MDF, since there was no upcharge over the 3/4".  Jim did not feel there is much difference in sound between the two, or even with going to bamboo, with the transmission-line design.
I went with the "standard" Solen polypropylene caps.  Jim said he makes a point to A/B speakers they build with upgraded caps against ones with the standard caps before shipping them out, and that he still uses the standard caps in his personal speakers.

Presumably you will get this same info from Jim, but since he's on the road there might me a delay, I don't know.

As far as finish, I'm getting Fumed Eucalyptus: http://www.certainlywood.com/detail.cfm?ID=5313
I thought it looks very interesting, but it is much less expensive than the burl options, for example.

tknx

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:35 pm »
I placed an order for SCSTs at the end of December and discussed most of these options with Jim prior to doing so.  I also ruled out the HT2-TL due to WAF issues.

I went with the 1" MDF, since there was no upcharge over the 3/4".  Jim did not feel there is much difference in sound between the two, or even with going to bamboo, with the transmission-line design.
I went with the "standard" Solen polypropylene caps.  Jim said he makes a point to A/B speakers they build with upgraded caps against ones with the standard caps before shipping them out, and that he still uses the standard caps in his personal speakers.

Presumably you will get this same info from Jim, but since he's on the road there might me a delay, I don't know.

As far as finish, I'm getting Fumed Eucalyptus: http://www.certainlywood.com/detail.cfm?ID=5313
I thought it looks very interesting, but it is much less expensive than the burl options, for example.

Useful. So I may skip the caps, go with 3/4 bamboo and upgraded drivers and blow some money on a nice burl. That fumed eucalyptus looks good, the veneer choice may be the toughest.

rohrej

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:43 pm »
Useful. So I may skip the caps, go with 3/4 bamboo and upgraded drivers and blow some money on a nice burl. That fumed eucalyptus looks good, the veneer choice may be the toughest.

It was in my case.  I was very tempted by the Peperwood burl (third down on the SCST images page) but it was going to run ~$800 extra which was over my budget.  There are way to many options to choose from once you get poking around on certainlywood.

ricardojoa

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:50 pm »

Just a suggestion, maybe you could go with dual finish since you wanted bamboo. For example, bamboo front baffle and venner sides.

tknx

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:53 pm »
I was thinking replacing the MDF with bamboo for stiffness and then veneering over it with wood.

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:38 pm »
I was thinking replacing the MDF with bamboo for stiffness and then veneering over it with wood.
Oh, i know what you are talking. I think the bamboo version comes with full one piece baffle.

like this.
It would be pitty not to show the one piece baffle. You can still veneer the side with bamboo. Im not trying to interfer with your taste  :lol: if i made it sound that way.
Of course going with a veneer is nice too. I havent seen any finish from salk that is not good looking.

tknx

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:41 pm »
Oh, i know what you are talking. I think the bamboo version comes with full one piece baffle.

like this.
It would be pitty not to show the one piece baffle. You can still veneer the side with bamboo. Im not trying to interfer with your taste  :lol: if i made it sound that way.
Of course going with a veneer is nice too. I havent seen any finish from salk that is not good looking.

I'd definitely want a one piece baffle, even if it is veneered over. I don't think bamboo would work in our place which is walnut floors and a lot of Mid-century modern type furniture.