Poor Vmps service: Edit/ Problem corrected.

flintstone

« on: 2 Jul 2004, 04:46 am »
As stated in an old post about what we would to see improved about Vmps...I stated that service would be my choice...

It's been many months and still no replacement woofers for my Supertowers. I paid around $2,000 fore these things. Bought them at Todays Audio in Flint Michighan and can not get them fixed or get parts.

Vmps will be more than glad to take your cash...pray that you don't keep your speakers longer than 5 years or you will be shit out of luck!!!

Dave

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
service
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2004, 05:14 am »
We sent four 15" woofers to Todays Audio on their order about 5 weeks ago.  Two were damaged in shipment and returned to us.  We sent two replacements several weeks ago.  No advance payment was made to us; Todays Audio paid on delivery.

I'll check with Rod at Todays and see what the problem was.

flintstone

Vmps service
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2004, 05:54 am »
Ok, that would be great. After 6 monthes or so a person wonders if enyone really cares.

Dave

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2004, 12:33 pm »
Sounds like 'Today's Audio' should change their name to 'Forgotten Audio'.  Sounds like VMPS is doing a great job.

Brian Cheney

service
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2004, 02:03 pm »
If there's a problem with parts or service you can always call me directly at 510-222-4276 and I'll take care of it personally.  We stock original parts or modern upgrades thereof for all VMPS models made since 1977.
We charge low prices for these parts as I do not believe in making the customer repurchase his speakers just because they are out of warranty.  

Recently we got a pair of Tower II's (serial nos. 5 and 6) in for service.  We overhauled them completely, replaced worn parts and drivers, and returned them to the customer for under $360 for both.  He was delighted.  Compare that to some manufacturers who stop supporting their older products completely after a few years.  Planned obsolescence is not for me.

jakepunk

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2004, 02:32 pm »
Let me steer this thread in a slightly different direction: how will I know when my 1996 Tower II's are in need of an overhaul?  I replaced my PRs recently when I saw a rip in the foam surround (most likely the result of me sticking my meaty paws into the slot to tweak the Mortite), but I don't see any physical evidence on any other driver.  I figure the speakers still have another 8 years of life in them before they need any attention.  How will I know when it's time?  Will I see physical evidence, or will the changes be auditory?

Brian Cheney

repairs
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:05 pm »
When your speakers stop talking to you, you'll know it's time!

Trevor

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:22 pm »
Just to chime in here.  I recently got a pair of RM40's sent to me from Brian.  When they arrived, one of the tweeters didn't work.  He sent me a new one extremely quickly.  Replacing the tweeter did not solve the problem and Brian suggested that it was the cap that was the problem.  He sent me a new TRT cap with detailed instructions on how to replace it.  I replaced it and the tweeter came to life.  Throughout the entire ordeal, Brian was extremely considerate, answering all of my questions over the phone any time I needed him.  I once joked that if replacing the cap didn't fix it, he was going to have to come to Vegas to take care of the issue.  He replied in all seriousness that he would be willing to do so, but that he hoped he wouldn't have to.  All conversations between Brian and I were short and to the point.  He was extremely helpful by helping me solve my problem.  He hasn't even called me to remind me that I am a total slacker for not sending the tweeter and old cap back to him (which I am planning on doing this weekend.)

Trevor

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:22 pm »
Just to chime in here.  I recently got a pair of RM40's sent to me from Brian.  When they arrived, one of the tweeters didn't work.  He sent me a new one extremely quickly.  Replacing the tweeter did not solve the problem and Brian suggested that it was the cap that was the problem.  He sent me a new TRT cap with detailed instructions on how to replace it.  I replaced it and the tweeter came to life.  Throughout the entire ordeal, Brian was extremely considerate, answering all of my questions over the phone any time I needed him.  I once joked that if replacing the cap didn't fix it, he was going to have to come to Vegas to take care of the issue.  He replied in all seriousness that he would be willing to do so, but that he hoped he wouldn't have to.  All conversations between Brian and I were short and to the point.  He was extremely helpful by helping me solve my problem.  He hasn't even called me to remind me that I am a total slacker for not sending the tweeter and old cap back to him (which I am planning on doing this weekend.)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:42 pm »
I'm going to give my $.02 as well.  I ordered RM/X's from JC, and Brian kept me in the loop on every turn.  Then...when he discovered that higher compliance passive radiators make the RM/X's a bit warmer, he offered the new pr's free of charge, including shipping.  Mine arrived this week and I'll install them asap.  VMPS is the real deal, which is why I've been a VMPS customer for 17 years.   John Casler and Brian Cheney are two of the most upstanding folks.  And I know this to be true becuase this forum exposes all sides of their personalities and motivations (which is a good thing).  

Ted_B

RGordonpf

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2004, 04:17 pm »
I will stick in my two cents as well.  UPS dropped both of my RM30Ms and they arrived with damaged bass rails.  I e-mailed Brian.  I had a response the next day.  The replacement rails arrived within a few days.  Quick turnaround.  Complete satisfaction.  Brian is a CLASS act.  I wish other merchants were as good as Brian.

F-100

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2004, 05:21 pm »
I wish my experience with VMPS was pleasant as others. But unfortunately when the tweeters on my VMPS Super tower went  out, I called Brian up and ordered a replacement. Two weeks later,  nothing arrives in the mail so I callled Brian up and then he told me that he doesn't carry them in stock anymore. Luckily for me, I was able to find them on Ebay. My instint tell me that if you buy the latest product from VMPS, you'll get 1st class service but if you buy their old legacy product, you're on your own.

Charles Calkins

Replacement tweeters
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2004, 06:51 pm »
F-100:
   How old were the speakers?

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:02 pm »
Oh boy....you guys are making me get nervous that I may get my speakers and have a problem with a tweeter or a cap. Great customer service is awesome (especially when you're paying this type of money), but more importantly...things shouldn't be damaged in the first place!! Unless, of course, it's the transport company's problem....

Oh well....

-Ed

Redbone

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:15 pm »
This is typical of every consumer forum, Cars, Stereos, you name it.  In general there are many more posts about problems than all of the non-problems.  Its pretty simple, the people with a problem are motivated, those without issues kick back.  

In general I use the forums to get a bit of insight on the product.  For instance the Ford F150 new model this year had repeated posts about three separate issues.  That's a good indicator of things to look out for but doesn't mean that new model has problems overall or even in general.  The internet is powerful but tricky tool.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:22 pm »
Ok, here is my two cents...

Brian has been very responive when I have brought to his attention technical issues (and I have had a few).  He sends out parts immediately and does care.

What took a little getting used to was Brian's "direct" nature.  He isn't a big talker (at least with me) and his e-mails are usually very short and to the point.

Early on I wasn't too thrilled with this (I think customer service is more than a quick, correct technical response - BTW, I run a Technical Support department for a software company so I have some experience in this area) methodology, but I have learned that is Brian... :)

In fact, I owe Brian a few boxes of parts that needed to be replaced (I am hoping to send them on Monday finally) - sorry about not holding up my end Brian.   :oops:

Which brings me to the quality control issues...I personally feel that a few issues could have been prevented.  I have had to replace TRT caps multiple times and had a bad woofer in a demo Larger sub purchased from Jim.  From talking to others there have been similar problems.

At the end of the day, I view my experience with my RM 40's and Larger subs as a positive one.  Yes, there have been some issues and yes, I wish certain things were done differently.  

I truly believe that Brian makes an excellent sounding product and they are also very good in terms of bang for your buck.

Ed, I wouldn't worry about your decsion to go with VMPS.  You are getting a speaker that will be very enjoyable and produce great music if you take the time to optimize it and set them up properly.

Half a year later I still own the 40s' and I have no plans to get rid of them.  In fact, I have rebuilt my entire system around them.  I never would have done this if I wasn't ultimately happy.

George

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:44 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Which brings me to the quality control issues...I personally feel that a few issues could have been prevented. I have had to replace TRT caps multiple times and had a bad woofer in a demo Larger sub purchased from Jim. From talking to others there have been similar problems. Yes, there have been some issues and yes, I wish certain things were done differently.

Have preventative methods been instituted since your problems arose? Have the quality control issues been addressed to Big B?

-Ed

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:46 pm »
Big B needs to answe that.  :lol:

George

F-100

Re: Replacement tweeters
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2004, 10:25 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
F-100:
   How old were the speakers?

They are about 4 years old and I'm the second owner.

Charles Calkins

Speaker age
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2004, 11:05 pm »
F-100:

I am very surprised that VMPS didn't have replacement tweeters for your speakers. I could understand if they were 15 or 20 years old but not 4 years old. About 1.5 years ago I had the driver on my M&K V-1B subwoofer poop out so I called them and they shipped me one at the cost of $87.50. The sub at the time was 14+ years old. Again I say I'm very surprised.

Charlie