Poor Vmps service: Edit/ Problem corrected.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
parts
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2004, 11:56 pm »
The used speakers in question probably had fiberglass dome T120 tweeters which Focal stopped supporting about 5 years ago.  I believe I referred this owner to Madisound for the tioxide dome version of the T120.  Our dynamic systems use the T90 dioxide dome.

We have 19,000 owners and try to do our best by them.  We can usually help with parts, even very old ones.

Sometimes UPS does us in and we must replace new parts broken in transit.  We just keep increasing the size and volume of packing material.  I don't think our company has more QC issues than other high-enders, particularly those using exotic drivers.

Rocket

focal tweeters
« Reply #21 on: 3 Jul 2004, 01:45 am »
Hi F100,

If you need to buy some more replacement tweeters for your vmps speakers you could try War Audio here in perth.

They have bought a lot of older stock from focal and they may be able to help you out.  Does the focal tweeter have a yellow circle in the middle of the tweeter?

Here is their website:

www.warco.com.au

regards

rocket

F-100

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2004, 02:20 pm »
Rocket,
  Thanks for the info but I already sold my VMPS Super tower.

F-100

Re: parts
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2004, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
The used speakers in question probably had fiberglass dome T120 tweeters which Focal stopped supporting about 5 years ago.  I believe I referred this owner to Madisound for the tioxide dome version of the T120.  Our dynamic systems use the T90 dioxide dome.

I took your suggestion and bought the T120 from Madisound but these tweeters are so bright that make the Super Tower sound very metallic and harsh.  Another word, the T90 and T120 are two different beast and I don't think this is a good substitution.

The impression that I got from VMPS is that we don't carry those Focal tweeter anymore, go buy it from somewhere else.

Brian Cheney

parts
« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2004, 03:10 pm »
We would have had to buy the parts from Madisound, then sell them to you.  The sensible and cheapest route was to refer you directly to the source.  I don't see anything wrong with that, or why you would complain about it.

warnerwh

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jul 2004, 02:23 am »
Just because in one situation a company VMPS deals with is not doing their job is unfortunately bad for Brian and I guarantee he'll be talking to the owner if he hasn't already.  I've seen and heard nothing but excellent, make that far above what most any other company would do, service from VMPS. This is why I will remain to always consider Brian's speakers when upgrading, besides the sound is excellent for the money. I'm presently on my second pair.  Mr. Flintstone should read the archives that will show a ton of outstanding service.  If it weren't the case I'd be happy to say that too.  I put together a VMPS kit and had zero problem getting help from Brian himself who was totally patient with my amateurish knowledge of what I was doing..

Rocket

vmps speakers
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jul 2004, 03:11 am »
Hi,

Sounds like Mr Flintstone's problem was with the Vmps dealer and not the company itself.

May'be the heading of the post should be changed to reflect that?  I do feel for small business' when i read posts like this, as it seems they are often burnt at the stake.  It really gives a negative impression for potential customers.

I have a pair of War Audio speakers (perth western australia) and the company is a one man show operation.  It takes 6 months to have a pair of speakers built, a very frustrating experience but it is definitely worth the wait.

regards

rocket

ScottMayo

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jul 2004, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: RGordonpf
I will stick in my two cents as well.  UPS dropped both of my RM30Ms and they arrived with damaged bass rails....

The general consensus I see in this thread is that Brian fixes stuff, including stuff that UPS damages. It also sounds like UPS damage has happened a few times, to just the small set of people in their forum. UPS isn't gentle, but maybe shock-insulated metal shipping crates (returnable, unless you want to pay to keep them) can be looked into, at least on the higher priced speakers (and if I remember, the RM/X are slated to become higher priced speakers.)

It's not a cheap solution, on no my precious it is not, but a big metal box with a form fitting, high density foam insert, makes for a shipping unit that would challange even UPS's trained gorillas.

PT611

VMPS Service - The BEST I'VE experienced in years!
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jul 2004, 10:31 pm »
Just got back from vacation and found this thread and had to add my comments!

I've recently completed six kits, 2 RM30Ms, 2 626Rs, an LRC, and a Large SUB.  I bought my speakers from Brian because he has a great product and his service and response has been top notch.  Where else can you consistently get e-mail responses in a manner of minutes from the MAIN MAN?

His products are precision instruments that weigh alot, there's bound to be some shipping problems that are out of his control.  I felt that his packaging is very good.

I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with VMPS and Brian.

As they say "you can't please everyone".

Would I buy his product or recommend it to friends and family?...YESSS-S-S!

Brian, Keep doing what your doing!

Down South

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2004, 05:01 am »
Brian I'd call you but it costs a mint from where I live.

I enjoy these speakers enough to store them for 4 years and then make a 4000 mile round trip to get them.

I have a pair of Tower II SE's with the carbon fiber drivers (I think)
Ser # 11510354/55 and I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade from the current dynamic mids and inverted dome tweeters to ribbons.

I'll be driving up to CA in September, so I could pick up the parts there and haul tham back here and install them.

Second question.
Are my PR's paper and would the Elmers Glue tweak help?

audiochef

upgrade drivers
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jul 2004, 06:00 am »
Down south, my second system (vinyl) is via t2s se .
Do you find your mids scratchy sounding? I've replaced mine with mids from Parts Express . This  opened  up the speakers completely.
Highs and of course bass is still very cometitive with anything else out there.

Down South

Scratchy Mids
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2004, 05:49 pm »
My problem with my II SE's has always been the midrange sounding strained and compressed, as if there wasn't enough cone area.
I guess you could call it scratchy,especially at higher sound levels.
I run an Adcom 545II for bass with a 535II for the treble with a Lexicon CP1+ preamp so I don't have enough power to really push the speakers.
I notice that Brian made a 20th anniversary edition of the Tower 2's and I was hoping that the midrange from those would improve the sound of my speakers.

audiochef

mid
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2004, 07:43 pm »
Thats what Brian calls the Dynaribbon. It's supposed to be an improvement over the carbonfiber. I almost went for it. you'd have to do some major cutting to make it fit.
I definately recommend a mid driver upgrade though.
This is the one weak point in the speaker .
 While your at it,vitrify the passive as well

flintstone

Poor Vmps service
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2004, 08:33 pm »
Update: you would need to beg I guess? Brian never checked this out (as he stated here he would).  I would never have sent Brian my Woofer if I thought this company would screw me like this...he made it sound...at least in his limited PHONE conversation (he's not a man of many words on the phone) like he would take care of it. I paid $2,000 for these speakers...plus bought three 626's and pre-pro plus another amp from his dealer (Todays Audio) here in Flint , Michigan.

The fact that Brian did not take care of this (as he said he would) leads me to bring this up again. Here is a link to my system: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=391

I guess I could...and would beg if these were my only speakers.  They were 1 year out of warrenty when the woofer started with it's noise, I called Brian and he said " send it to me ". YA right, what a great company!

I will add: When I needed to deal with Krell for a problem with my OLD Ksa-250 amp I was treated and serviced as it was a new product.

Please don't blame this all on " Todays Audio ", Brian should share his fair share IMO.

Dave

flintstone

Pre-amp
« Reply #34 on: 11 Sep 2004, 08:50 pm »
Brian said:

"Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:03 am  service  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's a problem with parts or service you can always call me directly at 510-222-4276 and I'll take care of it personally. We stock original parts or modern upgrades thereof for all VMPS models made since 1977.
We charge low prices for these parts as I do not believe in making the customer repurchase his speakers just because they are out of warranty.

Recently we got a pair of Tower II's (serial nos. 5 and 6) in for service. We overhauled them completely, replaced worn parts and drivers, and returned them to the customer for under $360 for both. He was delighted. Compare that to some manufacturers who stop supporting their older products completely after a few years. Planned obsolescence is not for me".

Ya right!!...you would have taken care of this (with a follow up) if you were no more than BULL.

Thanks, Dave

Dave

Brian Cheney

woofers
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2004, 08:56 pm »
We have no reason or desire to have any unresolved parts problems.  Todays Audio told me in July they had received all four woofers.  I have not heard from Dave or Rod since.  

Please call Rod at Todays and have him contact me.  I called there today and Rod was not in; I'll try again Monday. I don't know "Dave" but Rod certainly does.  Why speakers would go unrepaired for any length of time is beyond me.

flintstone

Pre-amp
« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2004, 09:16 pm »
Well, Rod works for " Todays Audio" and ( DAVE) is me, the guy with the broken down speakers. I have also talked to ROD, and RED...the owner of " Todays Audio" many times!!!! I repeat: I WILL NOT BEG for repair.

You are again pushing this somewhere else...HOW ABOUT A FOLLOW UP for the members of this forum and all VMPS owners!!!!! You can see and read from my system LINK that you have a good chunck of money from my pocket.

Dave

Brian Cheney

repair
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2004, 09:25 pm »
I don't understand why the dealer would deny you service.  Todays Audio has been a VMPS dealer for over 15 years and I have never heard a complaint.  However your complaint is couched in strident and impolite terms.  I don't mind, but perhaps they do.  And if you paid $2000 for these $3400 speakers, you got a real deal.

I will talk to Rod on Monday.

flintstone

Pre-amp
« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2004, 09:44 pm »
The speakers are Vmps supertowers/r's with no upgrade (softdomes). Their retail at the time was not much above what I paid. I bought a complete system:

I spent over $5,000 on this system? Why would I not get a few dollars off?

I don't know...let me guess???? I'm the fist person you have ever heard of that gets a little pissed when they get craped on. You are again trying to make yourself look better, just fix the problem and report back! I don't wan't to be your buddy...I only want my speakers FIXED!

This is an OLD thread Brian...I'm not knocking your speakers, I'm knocking your service. YOU, yourself stated that this is not a problem...Well, large problem for me may be a small problem for you.

Again: I will not beg

Dave

Brian Cheney

repair
« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2004, 09:56 pm »
I will talk to Rod and report on Monday.