AXPONA in Chicago..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
AXPONA in Chicago..
« on: 19 Feb 2013, 05:43 pm »
I don't recall seeing a post regarding VSA AC member attendance so thought we should ask for a show of hands.  My wife and I will be there Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, checking out on Sunday morning.  Maybe a member dinner somewhere Friday or Saturday night?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: AXPONA in Chicago..
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:50 pm »
Nice idea Gavin,

Saturday is OK for me.

Cor

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm »
please send phone contact info.. Not sure i can do dinner but would love to say hello and join you all for some group drooling!  Maybe if we pool our $$ we can do a speaker time share thing!  Jack

htradtk

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm »
Gavin,

If I had a way, I would be there, would love to meet everyone and to hear that system. One of these days.  :cry:

Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2013, 01:02 am »
my cell phone: 317.650-5033

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:14 pm »
Hmm....there seems to be precious few hands in the air.  Come on guys, this is the first time Chicago has seen an audio show in well over a decade...plus I hear the pizza is decent..  :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:45 pm »
I would like to go, never been to a high end show...but I guess I'm not willing to make a special trip for one. I'll hold out for the Minneapolis show, which should be sometime in the next century or so. :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:56 pm »
A swede from Minnesota?  Who would have ever guessed  :lol:

BigSwede

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:00 pm »
You betcha! :thumb:

steve f

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:07 am »
Lou Malnati's or Gino's East for Chicago style deep dish pizza.

See you guys at VSA room on Sunday.

Steve

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:03 pm »
Gino's is our fav..

fplanner2000

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:49 pm »
I will be there Fri afternoon; departing Sunday am.  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:51 pm »
I will be there Fri afternoon; departing Sunday am.  :thumb:

The 100 less the subs is VSA's new "Massive Passive Top Dog" my friend!  I can just imagine how the mighty 450's would drive them. :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

kernelbob

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:49 pm »
I'll be attending, arriving Thursday afternoon & leaving mid day Sunday.  You'll likely see me loitering in the VR100XS room... probably smiling a lot.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2013, 06:07 pm »
..and wishing for that aluminum enclosure eh?  :lol:.....kidding...I'm KIDDING :slap:

fplanner2000

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2013, 09:54 pm »
Jack - that has obviously crossed my mind (as well as Albert's, who asked me to show up in Chicago as his "guest"(I think that means I get to move the speakers??!! :duh:)).  The subs won't work in my room without massive re-design, which is not happening.  So my question would be how much better, if at all, those new speakers would be without the subs, and using my Velo 15+ in the front right corner as currently situated.  The 7's mods are finally all broken in - it will be difficult to beat the sound I've already got, but I promised Albert I'd go and listen, so that's what I will do. 

PLUS - David Burke's Prime is one of the best steakhouses I've ever been to, ANYWHERE.  :icon_lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2013, 10:22 pm »
..better that Harry Carey's?

bentknee

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:35 pm »
   Hello all, I have not posted in a long time. I have been lurking though. I have had an idea ever since I heard about the 100's. My idea was the VR 99 active which would be the 100's minus subs with two VR 44 amps in each tower to power the bass drivers. This way those who enjoy the purity of single ended amps would have their ultimate speaker. Since the passive idea was proposed I had to present my idea.  :thumb: Sorry Albert if we are going to work you to death with our ideas as I could never afford the speakers anyway :oops:. Although if the idea goes over big I will expect my royalties! :lol:

Blessings to All, Bob

kernelbob

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:48 am »
Bentknee, all you need to do is to biamp the VR100's with a muscular amp on the woofers.  That's the equivalent of powered woofers.  At the price point of the VR100's, the cost of a woofer amplifier is modest.  I'd suggest the Channel Islands' amp that Albert is using at Axpona.  Done.

bentknee

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2013, 05:02 pm »
   Thank you for your reply Kernelbob. It would take care of the sonic part of my idea if the amps were matched right. I did not spell out all of what I was thinking in my post. I was thinking of a "cleaner" look with the amps in the speakers and not taking up floor space especially in more modest sized rooms. I think it also might be an advantage to have Albert's circuit that has the bass amp mimic the sound of the main amp in the speaker. I am not a speaker designer (that is what God made Albert for) so my idea may not be any good at all :scratch:. I do look forward to reading your posts on the 100s when you get them all set up and dialed in.
    Blessings, Bob