AXPONA in Chicago..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: AXPONA in Chicago..
« Reply #40 on: 10 Mar 2013, 06:39 pm »
Well done Cor!  Almost like being there...almost  :( :(

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #41 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:30 am »
Cor, what a pleasure meeting you and spending the last couple of days in the VSA room. U all really had the 100's dialed in!  Best in Show clearly, as no other system at the hotel came close in performance.  Don't know how the "professional" reviewers will receive this new model but if they don't score the 100's an 11+ on a ten scale then they truly need to visit their audiologist or shrink!   Huge effort, u guys deserve the glory!  Albert, u keep getting younger!! Happy Birthday!! Damon,, congrats on the delivery of ur new baby,, the 100's!  Cor, u r a master producer!! Credit also to the yfs team!!  Jack

SundayNiagara

« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:53 am »
Where are the pictures?

Johnbr

« Reply #43 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:05 am »
Happy Birthday Damon I would love to here them with 3 of them in the front in a film music room.

a.wayne

« Reply #44 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:22 am »

Dimfer

« Reply #46 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:42 pm »
your link does not work Cor. For some reason (like the first link), it goes to my own FB page

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #47 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:22 pm »
Mmm,

Visit Musical Reality on Face Book and see the pictures in one of the albums.

In between enjoy the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqqLyoMR1s&list=UUguXI98dcWZ6FhNA-8DW0lw&index=1

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #48 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:12 am »
Okay guys so how did it SOUND? Two non-VSA owners from another forum who attended were extremely impressed.

steve f

« Reply #49 on: 12 Mar 2013, 04:04 am »
Well... I was in the room on Sunday. Unfortunately, the system was playing at background level during our visit. I only listened to a classical recording I wasn't familiar with. Heck, I didn't even get a chance to say hi to Albert. He wasn't in the room. I'm sure the system is quite capable. Fit and finish are first rate. Everyone was talking to clients, and I didn't want to bother anyone with a request as I can't possibly purchase a pair. Perhaps some other time. I believe I missed them, in plain sight.

So with that caveat, the best sound was the Orions down the hall. Legacy was good too, and on a smaller scale the Janzen speakers were very nice. The worst high end speakers were the MBL's. YMMV.

Steve

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #50 on: 12 Mar 2013, 10:58 am »
Okay guys so how did it SOUND? Two non-VSA owners from another forum who attended were extremely impressed.

Hello Jack, how did it sound? What do you think?

VSA was presenting something real special, so special that I took the challenge to travel all the wa to Chicago to meet the system.
And what, It sounded GREAT !!!! Brought some of my own tracks and we all enjoyed the music. You can take quite a good note from the Video I put on the You Tube already a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqqLyoMR1s&list=UUguXI98dcWZ6FhNA-8DW0lw&index=2

Myles and Peter are confirming the Universe Holographic Virtual Reality Musicsystem was the Best of Axpona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROmz0v-c0T4

Next show there will be more power to feel the music trough the heart.

Regards from Holland after a good flight back home,

Cor

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #51 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:25 am »
Steve,, totally agree about the MBL's... The better of the three MBL rooms I visited were the stand mounted..  Otherwise, the bigger floorstanders sound thin and/or veiled..  Usually lots of sizzle,, they were duds this time around for me.  Admittedly they did make some changes to the $70k model on Saturday eve,, but when I came back for a visit on Sunday, they were only marginally better..  And, I'm not a big fan of the open reel tape machine they were using.. Not even when Albert was using at prior shows. 

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #52 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:24 pm »

kernelbob

« Reply #53 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:38 pm »
Hi all,
I finally got to see and hear my new VR100's in the flesh.  If you got a chance to get to the room, you probably saw me fine tuning things, adding tube dampers to the Krons, trying different combinations of subwoofer levels, switching absolute phase, speaker toe-in, etc.  I hope I didn't intrude on anyone's listening.

One thing I found is that the speakers are tremendously revealing.  Even the slightest changes in settings and configurations are easily audible.  The front tweeter level control allows you to easily tune the speaker for power amp and room characteristics.  I use the rear level control to dial in the image type that I want.  At a lower setting (which I prefer), you get a very palpable deep image where instruments and singers have a more real physical presence.  At a higher level, the image is larger and moved more to the front plane of the speakers.  At even higher rear driver settings, voices and instruments take on a more ghostly, disembodied quality which is not to my liking.  This last type of presentation is very much like what I heard in the MBL rooms.

The system has tremendous speed and power.  All the drivers are blazingly fast with the tweeter's top end extending to 100k.  The challenge was to find/develop midrange and woofers that are fast enough to mate with the tweeter.  That's one reason that 7" woofers were chosen over larger ones.  You need that speed to get realistic sounding double bass, lower registers of pianos, and to resolve the tuning of a drum.  Those 7" woofers play a critical role in generating that sense of solidity and precise focus of the image.

Regarding power, the drivers with cutting edge crossover parts and design are capable of accelerating large amounts of air without excursion limits and without surface waves being generated.  This is something I miss in planars where the excursion range is limited.  Having a cabinet that's close to 500 pounds also prevents spurious vibrations from polluting the image.

Speaking of power, the integrated Krons were sounding wonderful, but their 25 watts were a limiting factor of letting the 100's fully unfurl their wings.  I'm using modified Double Kronzilla monoblocks (with a high speed differentially balanced driver stage for XLR inputs courtesy of Dr. Bradley Smith, the designer of the Mk-II series) and will either be running them full range (they sound amazing running full range) or on the mid/tweeters with Spectron Monoblocks on the bottom.  I may try adding a high pass filter to the Kron's input if I bi-amp since there's no need for them to spend watts on reproducing deep bass if bi-amping.  I haven't had the need for that on VR5-Annis or VR6's, but we'll see when my 100's are installed.

I do want to emphasize that these speakers blossom with the best associated equipment and conversely will reveal and be limited by any upstream weak link.  This is true (especially so in my opinion) of the power cords, interconnects, and speaker cables.  I've gradually been upgrading my system to now a full set of the MasterBuilt Signature series.  If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend that you give them a try, whether the Purple Line, Standard, or Signature series.

Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to discuss things in more detail.  Of course posts to AC are fine too.

Apologies for the long post,
Robert

gold

« Reply #54 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:53 pm »
Very nice!  I hope Steve (Hi-Fi Farm) has a Chicago Axpona Show next year.  Doesn't have to be the same hotel... 

Johnbr

« Reply #55 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:43 am »

Here is a good photo.