Shout out and thanks to neobop

TheChairGuy

Shout out and thanks to neobop
« on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:37 pm »
Yes, there's scores of you that help folks out with questions.....but, in the 7+ years of moderating this circle I don't think I've seen anyone that has responded with such thoughtfulness, for as long and with such helpful specifics as neobop has with newbies and intermediates alike.

So, just a debt of gratitude from me for taking abundant time and sharing your knowledge with so many. It's the type of circle I had hoped partly because of this type of exceptional help for others.

Thanks,

John / Facilitator / The Vinyl Circle

vinyl_lady

Re: Shout out and thanks to neobop
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:38 pm »
+1000!!!!

usp1

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:48 pm »
Not only in the public forum but also through PMs! Thanks Neo!!

Maritan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:55 pm »
Agreed.

My journey into vinyl would have been stopped dead in its tracks if not for Neo's continued assistance. I'll buy that man a beer if I'm ever in his neck of the woods.

Thanks, Neo!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2013, 09:22 pm »
Aw shucks guys, my pleasure. 
neo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm »
You're too modest, Neo.  You are a wealth of knowledge, and many of us depend on your generousity in sharing it.
Thank you.
Scott
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm by S Clark »

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm »
I'll jump in with thanks too.  Neo has responded to my posts on questions I have had about my vinyl journey.
He takes time to look things up and post info and links - very cool and appreciated.
Many thanks !!  Here and other sites where I ready your posts.

Delta Wave

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:02 am »
A Haiku for Neo.

Neo is the man,
He does whatever he can,
For vinyl junkies.

Fret not, I know it, I'm far from a poet.  :green:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:22 am »
Although I'm probably not on Neo's like list, I do believe that I have learned quite a bit about vinyl through his posts and I would like to thank him! :wine:

Best,
Anand.

WireNut

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:24 am »

Thanks TONS Neo  :thumb:  :wave: :beer:

rooze

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:33 am »
Yes.

Tons of knowledge, concise, patient, no agenda.

Thanks for your help with my 're-entry' thread.

Rooze

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2013, 02:31 am »
I'm overwhelmed.  Thank you all for the kind words.

We're often talking about electrical or mechanical aspects of equipment and I get as much as I give.  Problems sometimes arise with opinions about the relative merits of particular pieces, and some people can get offended if, well you know.  I don't have my ego tied up with some piece of stereo gear, and people should realize that it's not about them, it's an opinion about gear or whatever.  I can have an argument with a friend and still remain friends afterward.  The written word can be deceiving.  Sometimes intent or attitude or a joke is not perceived as such, and feelings get hurt.  Sometimes English is a second language and you can be misunderstood or nuance lost. I'm not one to mince words, and I don't mind it when others are frank.  I've been wrong before, and there's too much interesting stuff to learn to get bogged down.

That's my rant or whatever you call it, about forum decorum.  Did we disagree about something?  I can't even remember about what. 

Although I'm probably not on Neo's like list, I do believe that I have learned quite a bit about vinyl through his posts and I would like to thank him! :wine:
Best,
Anand.

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2013, 02:58 am »
Best,
Anand.

He kicked me into gear once, and I needed it. Now I'm a better informed audiophile and enjoying my audio system to a higher degree. Thanks again Neo, I really appreciate it.  :thumb:

Steve

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:26 am »
Great acknowledgement, John.  Great discussions, neo.  Bout music, too.  You da man.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:23 am »
neobop and I have been around the same forums for quite a few years now and I don't know anyone more knowledgeable about anything analog, and most audio in general, than neo.  And like John mentioned, he's the first to dive in with advice that's always spot on.  We butted heads a tiny bit once on another forum and he couldn't have been more gracious when we made up.  A hearty second to your recommendation for acknowledgement John.   

The funny thing, he lives but a few miles from me and we've never met, have to rectify that some day. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm »
Yes, there's scores of you that help folks out with questions.....but, in the 7+ years of moderating this circle I don't think I've seen anyone that has responded with such thoughtfulness, for as long and with such helpful specifics as neobop has with newbies and intermediates alike.

So, just a debt of gratitude from me for taking abundant time and sharing your knowledge with so many. It's the type of circle I had hoped partly because of this type of exceptional help for others.

Thanks,

John / Facilitator / The Vinyl Circle

I agree completely.   :thumb:

TimArruda

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:04 pm »
Absolutely agree, he has helped me on more than one occasion and I greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:57 pm »
Back in the 70's and 80's one would often have to buy something from your local dealer to improve your experience.

neobop (and others here) offer that expertise for FREE here at Vinyl Circle.

It requires more effort to impart this knowledge today with only hands off help....but using today's communication/Internet technologies, the message is delivered.

Truly a marriage of new and old making for newly minted vinylphools.

It's really the only way this little hobby survives.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:56 pm »
Well, actually, in the 70's and 80's you did have to buy something from your local dealer for the advice, he sold turntables.   :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2013, 01:23 am »
Yea, I worked at a high end store in Philly, then I was the turntable guy at a high end supermarket in suburban Philly, north of the city.  I set up most of the tables that went out, even if I didn't sell it. That was the most enjoyable job I ever had.  I used to look forward to going to work every day.  That's the most important thing IMO, enjoying and getting satisfaction from what you do.  That suburban store was something else.  We had customers that would come as far as 600 miles and even the west coast when they were on a business trip or whatever, to shop in the store. The location was perfect.  Nearby Bucks county had a lot of rich New Yorkers with 2nd homes and some very affluent neighborhoods. The other suburban counties aren't exactly shabby.  Word of mouth and an ad in Stereophile kept the place jumping.

One big draw was the record selection, of course I was also the record buyer. I made up a recommended jazz list and tried to keep the titles in stock.  Beside the audiophile records, a customer told me about Lyrita classical records.  I didn't always read TAS where they were recommended and having them in stock was a hugh draw. I had to set up an account with Lyrita in Scotland to get the records. The customer who told me about them, also told me the best titles and I bought them out.  Dr Lintgen the customer, was amazing. He  could read the grooves of a classical record and not only tell you the title, he could tell you what version. Really.
http://www.snopes.com/music/media/reader.asp

Well, that's all for tonight boys and girls. Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.
neo

PS - Thanks Letitroll for telling me about that cheap and cheerful DA converter. I can actually listen to some of my CDs now.