Shout out and thanks to neobop

trackball02

Re: Shout out and thanks to neobop
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2013, 04:48 pm »
neobop, I really appreciated your recent suggestions and help in getting my Technics optimized and pointing me in the right direction. It's somewhat scary as a novice to start taking apart a turntable, pulling out the tonearm and making adjustments. It somehow worked quite well, and have been enjoying the end results!

watercourse

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:21 pm »
Yup, neobop knows his stuff, and knows when something is a matter of taste rather than quality or technique. Although he does have some rather strong opinions about modern jazz, I respect someone that has opinions based on observation rather than based only on reading about a topic...

Keep up the excellent work neobop, you keep the vinyl circle humming!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2013, 02:03 am »
Thanks again everyone, for all the kind words. 
Watercourse, you brought to mind some things I haven't thought about for awhile. Nothing like some controversy to get things jumpin. I don't think there was ever more action around here than when the digital boys wanted to put down analogue, claim superiority and vent their disdain.   

Since your post I revisited jazz circle. Seems kinda slow, it hasn't gotten past page 3. I see no point in opening old wounds, everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong or neither. Sometimes it's vanilla vs chocolate.

Last night I played some Donald Byrd, Byrd in Flight & Free Form, two albums of particular beauty.  Time to get another LP going, Maybe Dexter Gordon, One Flight Up, or Wayne Shorter, Speak No Evil.  I don't know, I was thinking about Ray Brown, Soular Energy, but I think the mood is more Joe Henderson, Inner Urge, or Herbie Hancock, Speak Like a Child. Then there's always.....
something obscure you find in the stacks. 
neo

JackD

« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2013, 02:22 am »
Try Soular Energy one of the greats.

watercourse

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:32 am »
Sorry buddy, I have no intent to reopen wounds, I thought they were fully healed. Let's not dwell on the past, unless it's some mid-60s Newk or Bean from any period...

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:18 pm »
Try Soular Energy one of the greats.

Good suggestion Jack.  For those not familiar with this album, its groove is infectious.  The sound is great too.  This LP has become an audiofool favorite ever since Musicmike wrote it up on Asylum. I'm pretty sure there's a 180g reissue now.

This was recorded in '84 or '85. I used to have it on my recommended list and sell it in the store.  Great LP, it's just that last night I was looking for something different.
neo
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2013, 05:32 pm by neobop »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2013, 04:47 pm »
Sorry buddy, I have no intent to reopen wounds, I thought they were fully healed. Let's not dwell on the past, unless it's some mid-60s Newk or Bean from any period...

No problem, maybe open old wounds was a poorly chosen metaphor, re-fight old battles might be better.

Funny you should mention the '60s - that's where I went.  I was looking through the Herbie section, then I stumbled on this gem:

This was out of print when I bought it in the late '70s or '80s. Jasmine is/was a Brit label and the quality is good.  This is probably my orig copy, it might be hard to find, recorded 1962 MCA records.

- great record with Roland Kirk chasing away the boogieman and making terrific and unique music at the same time.  Kirk was the guy who used to play 2 and 3 instruments simultaneously. If you don't have any Kirk, do yourself a favor.  Roy Hanes is the drummer, one of those guys who could make a conventional set of traps talk to you, and make sense.  Tommy Flanagan was Ella's accompanist for many years and a great pianist and Henry Grimes is solid on bass.  There's only one horn player on the album, and Kirk is mostly in the left channel. It's a little disconcerting when you hear another horn in the right channel at the same time. This isn't overdubbed, the guy was for real. On one tune he's playing flute and singing/humming at the same time.  Bright Moments, a double album is a good one for Kirk.

That was fun, but it was getting late.  Time to say my prayers and get ready for bed.

Recorded in '65 a couple of years before his death, this LP is easier for most to relate to, than some of the other later albums. Beside being the patron saint of saxophone players, there's a church in San Fransisco where Trane is their prophet or saint.  Bet you never heard Chim Chim Cheree like this.  It's a revelation.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2013, 05:45 pm »
Three cheers for Roland Kirk.  Not sure how many of his records that I have, but blowin the boogie man away is great listening.  Coltrane, also, of course.  Just can't help playing Kirk's You did it, you did it for guests.  Dang, that tune is fun to me.  Varies with guests, however.  Well, I remain intent on giving them some life in their souls.

watercourse

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2013, 07:18 pm »
Roland Kirk and Roy Haynes, a dream team. Love that record, though I only have it on reissued CD. Lucky to have seen (and still be able to see) Mr. Haynes - see him while he's still around early and often.

Rahsaan is a shaman, if Coltrane is a saint. BTW, I used to play with the Coltrane Church when I first moved my narrow ass up to San Francisco, along with the Asian American Jazz folks. Then I played with DJs during the funk/jazz fusion period (e.g. Broun Fellinis, Beatnigs, Disposable Heroes, and - shudder to say this - Jazzmatazz). Good times.