Record clamps -- good idea?

greg7

Record clamps -- good idea?
« on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:39 pm »
I'm pretty new to vinyl and I'm pondering buying a record clamp for my recently-purchased Clearaudio Concept turntable. Clearaudio has two clamps that would be applicable (Concept and Twister). Before I go down this road, what are your thoughts and experiences with aftermarket clamps? The Clearaudio has a "hard" platter interface (POM material) rather than felt, cork, etc.

orthobiz

Re: Record clamps -- good idea?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:52 pm »
If Clearaudio offers the clamps then they must think clamps are a good idea. Try it and report back!

Paul

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2013, 01:11 am »
I would definitely use one if your TT manufacturer recommends them.

I use one currently, and I have noticed a positive difference every time I've used on in the past.

Delta Wave

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:08 am »
The J.A. Michell clamps are very nice and can be had for less than $50 on fleabay.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2013, 05:05 pm »
Need one for any VPI table. Helps a lot there.

simoon

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:28 pm »
Has anyone used this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-Record-Clamp-Audio-Disc-Stabilizer-Turntable-/321053329829?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item4ac04509a5

There are quite a few inexpensive record weights (not clamps) from China on Ebay. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be decent and effective products.

That being said, these are weights, not clamps, so they probably can't be used on suspended tables.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:49 pm »
There are quite a few inexpensive record weights (not clamps) from China on Ebay. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be decent and effective products.

That being said, these are weights, not clamps, so they probably can't be used on suspended tables.

Can you elaborate on the weight versus clamp? If I understand correctly, the clamps clamp to the spindle and press down on the record label by frictional force versus the weights which do it by gravity. The net effect ought to be the same correct? I suppose with the clamp one may be able adjust the amount of force one puts on the record, but then one would not know how much force is being applied. With a deadweight the force would be know precisely but no adjustment.

simoon

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm »
Can you elaborate on the weight versus clamp? If I understand correctly, the clamps clamp to the spindle and press down on the record label by frictional force versus the weights which do it by gravity. The net effect ought to be the same correct? I suppose with the clamp one may be able adjust the amount of force one puts on the record, but then one would not know how much force is being applied. With a deadweight the force would be know precisely but no adjustment.

I wasn't commenting on the effectiveness of weights vs clamps. I was just pointing out that the item on Ebay was a weight, and therefore that has to be taken into consideration.

Can it be used on a suspended table? Will it wear out the bearing faster?

Some people feel weights are more effective because they add to the mass of the record/platter. Some like clamps better.

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2013, 07:28 pm »
I have Concept, I used the clear plastic, slip on Clearaudio Clever Clamp. Worked fine to prevent record slipping on platter surface. I recently added Ring-Mat and raised VTA. I think it sounds better, and I don't use the clamp anymore. But I will try it without the ring mat again soon and see if there is a difference changing back in the other direction.

My Concept is the original version with small spikes, mine is not suspended. I think the current version has rubber feet? But no suspension.

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2013, 09:53 am »
I have a Clearaudio Concept and I have the Concept Weight. 

I think it makes a difference and is worth owning.  The change is more subtle than I originally thought it would be, but it is noticeable.  The overall tone becomes more defined with a bit more solid and "weighty" low end with the clamp, and the soundstage opens up a bit more.  Which makes sense with the greater mass theory.  Again, it's subtle and the difference is almost felt more then it is heard but I'd recommend it. 

Besides that, the Concept Clamp looks very cool with the Concept Table as it echoes the design.....not that has anything to do with the sound, but it is aesthetically pleasing!

I use the platter as is, and I have wondered if i would be worth trying out a mat myself.  My Concept has the rubber feet.

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:05 pm »
I use the one that came with my Acoustic Solid One to One turntable, see my avatar.  With the weight on the record I find the clarity of the midrange improves.

Have a look at the HRS one’s very good, I use the damping plates on my electronics.

http://www.avisolation.com/analog_disk.html

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm »

You can get much more downward force on the record with a threaded clamp, not quite as much force (but still more than most weights) with a cam clamp.  Is this better?  Beats me!  Simoon is absolutely right though.  If you table is suspended you should look into only clamps or very light weights (but what good would a very light weight do?).

Delta Wave

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2013, 02:35 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-A-MICHELL-RECORD-CLAMP-Fits-most-turntables-/370594216667?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item564922fadb

Sometimes you'll see them pop up  for a lot less. They work extremely well and are very light weight. I tired the KAB clamp as well. It also works well and and is inexpensive but is annoying to use.

http://www.kabusa.com/usagrip.htm
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2013, 12:05 am by Delta Wave »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2013, 06:46 pm »
I like my Stillpoints Ultra LPi. It's a record weight of sorts, but there are five independent vibration-absorbing devices that rest on the record label. So, it's doing a little more than just weighing down the record, it's working its own magic while its clamping the record down.  I won't pretend to know exactly what's really going on with it but I borrowed one to demo at home and I ended up keeping it. It clearly reveals yet a little more information and detail.

As a bonus, you can place it on top of your CD player (when you're not spinning records) and it absorbs vibrations there too. Two tweaks for the price of one.  :)

***If you decide to try one, make sure your spindle is not taller than 3/4 of an inch (or 20mm) or it won't work properly. I think they can make a custom, drilled-through version if you have a very tall spindle.***

simoon

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2013, 07:52 pm »
Here's an interesting clamp on Ebay from the UK for under $50. I'm highly considering trying one.

It is called the 'Soft Clamp'. It is less than 3 ounces, so it will no affect suspensions.

Their site is http://srm-tech.co.uk/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-REVOLUTION-SOFT-CLAMP-BY-SRM-TECH-/330873634360?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d099afe38

They also make quite a few TT upgrade kits for Rega, Linn, Thorens and other upgrade products.

Delta Wave

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2013, 09:26 pm »
Here's an interesting clamp on Ebay from the UK for under $50. I'm highly considering trying one.

It is called the 'Soft Clamp'. It is less than 3 ounces, so it will no affect suspensions.

Their site is http://srm-tech.co.uk/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-REVOLUTION-SOFT-CLAMP-BY-SRM-TECH-/330873634360?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d099afe38

They also make quite a few TT upgrade kits for Rega, Linn, Thorens and other upgrade products.

The things I don't like about the KAB rubber Pig clamp and the one shown is they require a lot of unnecessary force, even if you're careful, to get them on the spindle and properly set up. The KAB, was pretty much useless with my old sprung Thorens deck and the one shown seems very similar in application but obviously not in shape.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm »
Hi.

The things I don't like about the KAB rubber Pig clamp and the one shown is they require a lot of unnecessary force, even if you're careful, to get them on the spindle and properly set up. The KAB, was pretty much useless with my old sprung Thorens deck and the one shown seems very similar in application but obviously not in shape.

First off, why called it a 'clamp'? It's there to "clamp" what? A much more meaningful & relevant naming is:
'record ballast'.

A record ballast should not be too light (say weight only a few ounces) nor too heavy (say 1-2 lbs).
Too light can't weigh down the record warping vibration while too heavy can slow down the TT speeds or even damage the driving cord/belt for long run.

Mine only weighs 1 lbs, not too light nor too heavy. Aluminum base with a solid wooden top spindle-handle - being non-FERROUS is most important.

It works like a chime, stablizing the imaging & soundstaging bigtime. I don't think I can run my TT without it.

One most common drawback of such record ballasts is having their weight base too large. It will make TT speed checking using a standard strobe disc, which is placed underneath the ballast, impossble.

I had to custom-DIY one TT speed strobe disc with its diameter larger than the record ballast. Now I can check up the TT speeds with the ballast placed on top of the strobe disc as the strobe ring bars are no longer covered up by the ballast base.   

c-J

raindance

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:26 am »
Many years ago I had an Ariston RD40 turntable. It had a slightly concave platter and a threaded clamp. The effect I found was that it flattened records a bit and helped with pitch variations that occur with a non flat pressing.

Unfortunately the turntable had a poorly designed suspension setup that caused the platter to bounce mildly and introduced flutter which kind of cancelled out the positive effect of the clamp.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:42 am »
On fleabey, weights are advertised as clamps most of the time.  It can be confusing for the uninitiated.

There are 2 basic types of clamps, ones that hold down the record and keep it from slipping on an acrylic or metal platter, and reflex clamps.  The Michell clamp can be used either way.  It comes with a felt washer that you can put under the record and use reflex action to partially flatten a warped record or create a kind of pressure coupling of the record.  I have one of these, but I never use the washer. I also have a Sota reflex clamp that is designed for the Sota platter, though it can be used on most tables. I have the Sota disassembled, I plan to use the platter/bearing for a custom table. The clamp comes in handy for my DIY record cleaning machine, where I mostly use it.

The Clearaudio Cleaver clamp just holds down the record.  I'm pretty sure it was originally the Souther Cleaver Clamp and was designed to work with the Souther linear arm which rests on top of the spindle. Clearaudio bought Souther and and now makes both.  I guess John TCG was right about inflation from the '80s till now.  The plastic disc was originally $10, and now $30.  Sorry to digress, but it seems to me it was originally worth about $5, and now maybe $15, but after all it's an audiofool product.

Most conventional mats don't require the use of a clamp, and of course opinions about that vary. Back in the day there was a little rubber clamp that looked like a chess pawn only a little bigger. It was called the Pig - maybe $5.  There was also a plastic tripod that clamped on the spindle.  I forget what that was called. Most high end tables that come with acrylic, delrin, methacrylate or metal platters require a clamp or weight.
neo