Wires to run before walls go in

mcgsxr

Wires to run before walls go in
« on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:09 pm »
Again, trying to keep the build thread clean, so posting here to ask about what to run where, before the drywall goes up?

I am planning on preparing for a flat panel initially, and running a PJ in the future when funds free up (damn HVAC stole my $!).

I will run HDMI, 2x Cat 6e, 14/2 speaker wire (to L, C, R, RR, LR).  I will run an HDMI to the prepared PJ spot (with outlet of course).

In addition to the expected video, audio and network cabling, what am I forgetting?

Framing is this week, electrical next, spray foaming the following, and drywall next. 

So, I have about a month to source and install my cabling and the conduit I will run for future additional cabling - conduit from media closet to flat panel spot, and PJ.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Wires to run before walls go in
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:22 pm »
Maybe a piece of old fashioned RG6? 

Also, why spray foam? From an acoustic standpoint, it has zero value.  Regular fluffy wall insulation will yield more benefit.

Bryan

decal

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:34 pm »
Maybe a piece of old fashioned RG6? 

Also, why spray foam? From an acoustic standpoint, it has zero value.  Regular fluffy wall insulation will yield more benefit.

Bryan

I am not looking to build a soundproof room or anything, just trying to ensure the simple and affordable stuff gets done.

From his main thread about the basement rebuild, he seems more concerned about the insulative quality of the foam, not the sound (As well he should be in a basement).

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:40 pm »
Cant Cat6 accomplish the same thing as HDMI, therefore replacing the need to run long lengths of HDMI cable??

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:42 pm »
Its a basement build, and the spray foam will provide a superior vapour, water and thermal break on my external walls.

Ceiling and internal walls to use Roxul safe n sound.

RG6 will be run to media closet, but was not thinking of one from media closet to TV.  Will have to consider that.

The HDMI is expected to carry the signal to the display.

The cat6e is a futureproof think thing.  I have not read purely favourable reviews about using cat6e in place of HDMI.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:50 pm »
To be o the safe side i would run a second hdmi to the display, run a RG6 (coax for cable tv) and also a pair of 22g wire for either IR or remote trigger (turn on lead).

WC

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:54 pm »
I would run all the cables you want in the low voltage conduit including the HDMI. May take more than one conduit. It would be a real pain to install it all in the wall and for something to short out without a means of repair/replacement. I would also test all the cables and hook them up beforehand, before I put them in the wall, especially the HDMI.

WC

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:59 pm »
Its a basement build, and the spray foam will provide a superior vapour, water and thermal break on my external walls.

Ceiling and internal walls to use Roxul safe n sound.

RG6 will be run to media closet, but was not thinking of one from media closet to TV.  Will have to consider that.

The HDMI is expected to carry the signal to the display.

The cat6e is a futureproof think thing.  I have not read purely favourable reviews about using cat6e in place of HDMI.

Running an RG6 to the TV wouldn't hurt. If you were ever going to get Over-the-Air signals you would need to get the RG6 to the TV ATSC tuner from an antenna located elsewhere.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2013, 04:44 pm »
You will never get all in you "need" because things will change over time.  What I did and others have done who have built HT's is to run a 3 inch PVC pipe run between the rack area and the PJ area and put a couple of pull ropes in so you can pull wires back and forth.  Even after years of having the HT I made some cable changes and wanted to utilize other inputs of the PJ beyond HDMI and the pull ropes saved the day as I had a 90 degree direction change to deal with.

If this does not work for you also consider a 12 volt trigger cable for the PJ, component if the PJ has limited HDMI, and a standard video for an additional monitor in case you get the itch to add a mini monitor down the road.  Also RS232.  See how the pipe makes sense now?

electricbear

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:15 pm »
I would suggest running 2 Cat6e from eq location to each display device location. This will allow you to run ir flashers, rs 232, vga or just keep you somewhat futureproofed.

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2013, 05:39 pm »
run some subwoofer cables to each wall around the room.  you don't have to use them but nice if you want to.
do you have a phone outlet in there?
door bell??

If you have rooms above you may need similar cables up there.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:57 pm »
Conduit planned, so i am hunting ideas for what to hard wire, thanks for all so far.

Doorbell is interesting, had not thought about that.

The coax though, not sure about that.  There is already a run to the proposed media closet, where the receiver will be, and will have lots of access to the media closet even when all else is finished.

Subwoofer will be inside one of the walls, but adding a cable or two to somewhere else is an interesting idea.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:23 pm »
How about additional surround channels: front height, wide, back?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:56 pm »
Mark, personally, I'd just run conduit. Everywhere. That's the best way to futureproof for possible changes later down the road.
Choose the size, type and kind of wire later. For now, just give yourself the ability to run the wires later. That's one of my biggest regrets on my room is the wiring was all permanent.

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm »
Appreciate the feedback folks, the build is complex (being my own GC and hiring trades for the actual construction, managing their schedules and interfacing) and the AV is all on me.

In the US, smurf tube is readily available, but up here in Canada you cannot get any over 1 inch in diameter.  That size won't allow the pull of an HDMI, so I may have to use PVC pipe.

To install 2-3 inch PVC to all 5 speaker locations, PJ, and flat panel display area may prove too much for me, given my timeline to get the project done.

I cannot think of wanting to replace speaker wire to my main locations, why has anyone wanted to do that?

Signal cable to PJ and display I can see, so I will do conduit to those 2 locations for sure.

Researching IR repeaters or RF extenders now, will be looking into another Harmony (I use an 880 on the main floor, so looking at 900 or 1100 for this space).

WC

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm »
Appreciate the feedback folks, the build is complex (being my own GC and hiring trades for the actual construction, managing their schedules and interfacing) and the AV is all on me.

In the US, smurf tube is readily available, but up here in Canada you cannot get any over 1 inch in diameter.  That size won't allow the pull of an HDMI, so I may have to use PVC pipe.

To install 2-3 inch PVC to all 5 speaker locations, PJ, and flat panel display area may prove too much for me, given my timeline to get the project done.

I cannot think of wanting to replace speaker wire to my main locations, why has anyone wanted to do that?

Signal cable to PJ and display I can see, so I will do conduit to those 2 locations for sure.

Researching IR repeaters or RF extenders now, will be looking into another Harmony (I use an 880 on the main floor, so looking at 900 or 1100 for this space).

We were able to pull the HDMI through 1" diam. smurf tube. I wasn't all that easy, but it is doable.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:01 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ordered the in wall speaker wire, some Cat6e cables, an RG6 coax cable, and some accessories to begin the install.  I included some cables to potentially connect my main floor system to my downstairs system through the holes I cut in the past.  I am not sure why I am doing that, but for the $40 in cables now prior to spray foaming closing those holes, I figure it is well worth it to bury an RG6, HDMI, Cat6e and RCA's just in case.  Those cables will reach from upstairs receiver to downstairs display.  I can always patch them to the cables run to the media closet, or connect them to the basement display and leverage ARC etc.

Should be here next week.

I will install conduit based on how the framing goes tomorrow.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:11 pm »
Speaking of RG6, you could run three to to the PJ for your RGB.

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:34 pm »
Interesting about the PJ and the need for RG6 - I can do that.

Will I not want to use an HDMI to the PJ?

WC

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:49 pm »
Interesting about the PJ and the need for RG6 - I can do that.

Will I not want to use an HDMI to the PJ?

I think you will want to use HDMI to the PJ. While lots of PJ use component connections. New Bluray players don't have component outs and receivers can't send a HDMI video signal over component. Component just works, but it is being killed off.