This hobby is some kind of sickness........

SoCalWJS

Re: This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« Reply #80 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:22 pm »
Hey! Exactly like my room......
Well ok, not even remotely. Sounds like a tough room to have all that great gear in. My sympathies.
Yes it is. My wife and I keep talking about an add-on to the house which would be a dedicated audio/HT room. Every time we get serious about it, it seems like something else comes up. In the last few months, we've even started talking about moving when she retires in a few years, and if we do that, I'd rather save the money for the next house.

...but I keep dreaming about it - I've got the layout down pretty well in my head. I KNOW these speakers would sound better in a different room.

Trismos

« Reply #81 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
Yes it is. My wife and I keep talking about an add-on to the house which would be a dedicated audio/HT room. Every time we get serious about it, it seems like something else comes up. In the last few months, we've even started talking about moving when she retires in a few years, and if we do that, I'd rather save the money for the next house.

...but I keep dreaming about it - I've got the layout down pretty well in my head. I KNOW these speakers would sound better in a different room.

I was kidding VERY much with the "Sounds like a tough room ...." remark. Maybe it isn't the best for the speakers (if you say so) but a loft with cathedral ceiling in a mountain cabin .... good starting place I'd say!

harley52

« Reply #82 on: 2 Feb 2013, 09:32 pm »
Any one know the sound of a pr of Denon POA 6600A. Good, bad or just different. Have a chance of picking up the pr. at a reasonable price. I agree this hobby is a sickness.,but I'm making my choices now that will get me off of the merry go round. Thank god. :)
Thanks

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 2 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm »
good luck getting off the merry go round

harley52

« Reply #84 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:24 am »
Thanks a bunch for the encouragement :duh:

tubesaab

« Reply #85 on: 3 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm »
To harley52
i have own a pair of the Denon 6600a...as i remember the ,it was smooth with good power,,easy to listen to,,the bass could be more tight...i use them to drive my diy Apogee speaker...(the amp was powerfull enough to set the Apogee on fire ,,,real fire,,must use water to save the house)  :lol:
hope this help a little
best Bjarne

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #86 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:14 pm »
I've been missing out on this thread.  :(  Thanks John, for sharing your impressions. I can agree with what you've noted comparing the 6's to the V's. But there's so much more as these 2 sets of speakers are so very sensitive to what's being fed to them.

Most of you guys know that I'm a former LS6 owner. Now owning the V's for what, a year now, and constantly experimenting with them in every conceivable way, I've learned a lot.

And now that I've built a second pair for a good buddy of mine and the 2 of us constantly rolling equipment, cables, idea's, I think we've reached a pretty high platuea for what the V's can do. Luan, my buddy who now plays the Super V's, just discovered what good power cables can do. His system being powered by a 4 watt Yamamoto sounds amazing. He is one happy camper except being unhappy about how much good cables cost.  :|

My wife and I where big fans of the 6's, they're gone and I don't want to get into that. So it is of great interest to hear what John has to say as he has some very respectable ears  :P

But I'll tell you on another thread, these effin Super V's can sing!  :guitar:

Way to go SoCal  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 8 Feb 2013, 04:33 pm »
His system being powered by a 4 watt Yamamoto sounds amazing. He is one happy camper except being unhappy about how much good cables cost. 

That's one of the reasons I like the battery powered tube amps that I have with the battery power tube pre-amp. One decent power cable cost more than a 100 amp hour Power Sonic battery and charger. Plus being off the grid is dead quiet.  :thumb:

dragoonxp20

« Reply #88 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:02 pm »
That's one of the reasons I like the battery powered tube amps that I have with the battery power tube pre-amp. One decent power cable cost more than a 100 amp hour Power Sonic battery and charger. Plus being off the grid is dead quiet.  :thumb:

Don't the super-v woofers run off ac power though?

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:05 pm »
Don't the super-v woofers run off ac power though?

All speakers run on AC power, even the ones in your car.  :D

The amplifiers convert the DC to AC.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #90 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:18 pm »
I've been missing out on this thread.  :(  Thanks John, for sharing your impressions. I can agree with what you've noted comparing the 6's to the V's. But there's so much more as these 2 sets of speakers are so very sensitive to what's being fed to them.

Most of you guys know that I'm a former LS6 owner. Now owning the V's for what, a year now, and constantly experimenting with them in every conceivable way, I've learned a lot.

And now that I've built a second pair for a good buddy of mine and the 2 of us constantly rolling equipment, cables, idea's, I think we've reached a pretty high platuea for what the V's can do. Luan, my buddy who now plays the Super V's, just discovered what good power cables can do. His system being powered by a 4 watt Yamamoto sounds amazing. He is one happy camper except being unhappy about how much good cables cost.  :|

My wife and I where big fans of the 6's, they're gone and I don't want to get into that. So it is of great interest to hear what John has to say as he has some very respectable ears  :P

But I'll tell you on another thread, these effin Super V's can sing!  :guitar:

Way to go SoCal  :thumb:
Yeah, I definitely want to swap a few things out, but my Stereo budget is blown for awhile  :green:

We've mentioned the possibility of doing some serious rearranging of the room (removing the second row of seating and moving the chairs further back from the speakers. Maybe putting the book cases behind the seats  :dunno: - could be interesting). Would definitely make the room more 2 channel friendly at the cost of seating, but since our good friends moved away, it just isn't needed anymore. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Super V's are holding there own for HT duties and match the X-Voce better than the LS-6'es in some ways (I think since the X-Voce is partially OB)

Wish I could swing some other amps (and a few other things), but I think Anne's "understanding" is pretty close to it's limits right now. :peek:

dragoonxp20

« Reply #91 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:19 pm »
All speakers run on AC power, even the ones in your car.  :D

The amplifiers convert the DC to AC.

Just meant that you'd still be on the grid since those amps run off wall power right?

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 8 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
Just meant that you'd still be on the grid since those amps run off wall power right?

Only the C-Tech charger is on the grid (when re-charging). The amps are battery powered.  :thumb:

Trismos

« Reply #93 on: 8 Feb 2013, 08:16 pm »
Only the C-Tech charger is on the grid (when re-charging). The amps are battery powered.  :thumb:

He meant the Subwoofer servo amps.

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 8 Feb 2013, 08:26 pm »
He meant the Subwoofer servo amps.

Oh yeah, those servo amps have to be plugged into the wall. Or on the grid anyway.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #95 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm »
Round and round we go.  Will it ever stop?  We'll never know. 

It always amazes me that something like an AC cord can change quite a bit in the way a piece of gear sounds and consequently the whole system.  Then we have the "Midnight AC" phenomenon.  Happened the other night.  Everything just sounds so lush after midnight.  I would love to put a pair of "off the grid" tube amps in my rig and listen after midnight. 

When will Gary Dodd have his battery servo sub amps ready for market?   

Maybe Danny has got that in the works already.  Yaya!

I don't think I want it to stop.  Do You?

We are married to this hobby.  In sickness and in health.

Danny Richie

« Reply #96 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm »
When will Gary Dodd have his battery servo sub amps ready for market?

At the show we used Pete's Triode Wire power cables on the servo amps plugged into an Uber Bass and another Triode Wire power cable. It worked out really well.

I don't know if one will notice the quieter noise floor and other positive effects of being off the grid in the ranges below 200Hz. Plus those are big amps and it would take a pretty large battery power supply to handle them.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #97 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm »

At the show we used Pete's Triode Wire power cables on the servo amps plugged into an Uber Bass and another Triode Wire power cable. It worked out really well.

I don't know if one will notice the quieter noise floor and other positive effects of being off the grid in the ranges below 200Hz. Plus those are big amps and it would take a pretty large battery power supply to handle them.
I'll just take the battery off the Cat D9, schlep it upstairs, hook it up, and all will be good.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #98 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:59 pm »
OK, finally decided to take some measurements. Ended up turning the "PEQ" ON and fiddled with the dials a bunch. Got the flattest curve I could with each channel with the mic at the listening position which ended up being pretty darn good everywhere below 120 - slight dip centered at 120 - about 5 db. Couldn't find a way to lessen it any further. my old dip centered around 45-70 Hz with the LS 6'es is GONE!

I then started playing around including taking 1 measurement with the mic at about 1 meter directly between the P driver and the servo's (height-wise).

Just about ruler flat all the way from 20 -20k, even at 1/96th octave.   :o

Further playing around just screwed with me. With the mic in the listening position with the chair empty results in one curve. If I then sit in the chair, lean back a bit and hold the mic a bit in front of me (where my head would normally be), I get a different curve  :scratch:

Not quite sure how to take good measurements - what is the best way?

Oh well. I think I have the balance between the P driver and the servos in a better place now, no major peaks or valleys (until I sit my big 'ol body in there). third octave sweep looks pretty good for each channel (though definitely different from each other). Not as good when you go more detailed, but I think that path would lead to insanity :green:

Time to do more listening! :thumb:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #99 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:56 pm »
Set a tripod on your listening seat, leaning back so that your attached mic will be at your head's listening position; then back away a few feet.  Your head close to the mic affects the mic's sound pickup.