This hobby is some kind of sickness........

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:20 pm »
Have you tried the speaker level input?
Just to see if it works?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:27 pm »
Is there any chance the preamp may be not sending lows?  I am just troubleshooting, and I don't know what preamp you are running. 

ben
rockdrummer - thanks for the input - I'll try anything at this point.

Preamp is a ModWright LS100. Never had any problems with it. No adjustments in the MW Pre with respect to a crossover point that I am aware of. If I send an RCA from the MW to my amps which are connected to the speakers via Kimber 8TC's, I get a signal. If I direct connect the MW to the servo's via RCA, I get nothing. Can't think why neither L nor R are working (completely independent signal to each channel - mono blocks to upper ranges work, yet not to servos)  :scratch:

Feel like I am missing something obvious and I will have a Doh! :duh: moment

SoCalWJS

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:30 pm »
Both the left and right inputs work just the same. You can also feed a signal to both inputs if your low level signal strength is weak and you need more output. Using both of them (feeding the same signal not left and right together) will give you 6db more output via the same gain setting on the dial.
Bought a cheapo Y adaptor - same results.

I'm missing something obvious and I know it. :banghead:

If it were just one chaneel, there might be something wrong. But both channels????? :banghead: :banghead:

TrungT

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
Power switch ON ?  :wink:
Green light ON ?  :wink:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm »
Try something simple.

Use a CD player or iPod to send signal only to the sub amps and use the sub volume control to adjust the level starting at 0.  Pick a CD you know has bass. 

If that does not work then it maybe wiring to the drivers and servo. 

dragoonxp20

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:09 am »
Probably already checked, but are you hooking the rca up to the input of the servo amp?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:58 am »
Power switch ON ?  :wink:
Green light ON ?  :wink:
Yes
Yes

SoCalWJS

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:58 am »
Probably already checked, but are you hooking the rca up to the input of the servo amp?
Yes

SoCalWJS

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:01 am »
Don't know exactly why, but after swapping everything several times, I now have sound coming from the Servos!

Probably done for the day unless I get a burst of energy. I'll try to get everything working at the same time tomorrow and start adjustments  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:10 am »
Glad to hear they are alive and kicking!   :thumb:

studiotech

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:05 am »
Make sure you do not have the voice coil and the servo coil wires swapped.  That could be a real problem.

Greg

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:14 pm »
I am soooooo confused...... :scratch:

First off, these are used speakers that were working when I picked them up. I just loaded them up and hooked them back up, so in theory, no wires are crossed.

I reconnected everything this morning starting with high quality splitters at the back of my Preamp (ModWright LS100). Separate RCA's running to the servo amps where I used another splitter so that a signal is being sent to both line inputs (I adjusted the gain on the servo amps to about zero). Servo amp connected to the woofers via a connection that can only go together oriented the correct way (I have visually confirmed that the thinner wires are connected to the thinner wires on each side of this connector). I ran another pair of RCA's to my amps. Speakers are hooked up. Turn everything on.

FYI - the MW Pre has a "soft start" that is, it won't pass a signal for about the first 45 seconds. During this time, the tubes are warming up and the volume is automatically returned to zero.

I waited until everything was ready to go and I visually confirmed the volume was at zero. I pushed play on the CD player (Oppo 95).  :o :o :o

BOOMING bass and nothing else  :scratch: - I immediately hit stop.

I went to the servo amp controls and turned the gain to the -12 position and tried again. Same result.

I stopped. It was already so loud there was no way I was going to turn it up to see if eveything else worked - I was afraid of causing damage to something.

:scratch:

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:39 pm »
sounds like a visit from a local electronics/audiophile tech may help, your situation is hard to troubleshoot without being there. sorry to hear your having issues.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
I'm feeling the frustration in your posting.  I hope everything gets better soon for you. 

Enjoy the quiet time.

rockdrummer

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:20 pm »
You probably already did this.  If you remove the splitter and the sub rca's, and use just the main speaker cables to your other speakers, the bass balance is normal?

Any chance the sub amps got damaged in transit?  Wouldn't it be likely that the same wouldn't have happened to both?

Somewhere I saw a picture or at least a label for suggested settings for Super V servo amp settings.  I just don't remember where to find them.

Sorry about your problems.  I'm probably not helping, but when my band was busy playing 3 gigs a week, we would encounter problems with house rigs and it was almost a contest to see who could find the problem. 

Good luck.

Ben

studiotech

« Reply #35 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:21 pm »
The best thing to do is go through EACH and every piece systematically, one at a time.  Change only ONE variable at a time.  If every piece works independently, then you've got some kind interaction that one piece does not like.  Can you also test the whole thing by running the top portion with your normal amp and jumping with an additional set of speaker wires down to the high level inputs on the servo amps?  That would verify if the preamp does not like it's output split for some reason.

Greg

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:25 pm »
So now no output to your main amp and the upper drivers?

First you had upper drivers and no woofers. Now you have woofers and no upper drivers....

Sounds like a problem upstream.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:34 pm »
The best thing to do is go through EACH and every piece systematically, one at a time.  Change only ONE variable at a time.  If every piece works independently, then you've got some kind interaction that one piece does not like.  Can you also test the whole thing by running the top portion with your normal amp and jumping with an additional set of speaker wires down to the high level inputs on the servo amps?  That would verify if the preamp does not like it's output split for some reason.

Greg
Yeah, the problem seems to begin as soon as I split the signal at the Pre.

Is there any reason this could be the problem? Never heard of signal splitting (what? - a max 3 db loss?) being an issue.....

SoCalWJS

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:35 pm »
So now no output to your main amp and the upper drivers?

First you had upper drivers and no woofers. Now you have woofers and no upper drivers....

Sounds like a problem upstream.
Now I have massive woofer output with zero gain/volume from the Pre.....

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
can depend on the splitter cable. If your preamp works individually to each that says preamp cannot drive the two interfaces due to impeadence issues between the two amps, I have seen this cancel and degrade the signal. Be nice if your preamp had two true outputs. Seems like next maybe to drive preamp to one and direct out of source to other.