Hello Aussie's - Cable Loan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 26 Jun 2004, 05:56 am »
Hello Aussie AC members,
    I recently mailed a fellow member, Rocket , a group of different cables (SC's,IC's,Digital) to try in his home  system. His comments are here ...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11350 . If any Aussie members would like to listen to them. please contact Rocket , and see if anything can be worked out while they are still in Oz. I'm not in a rush for there return. Happy listening !! :D  [/list:u]

Rocket

shipping of cables
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2004, 07:14 am »
Hi Chris,

I would gladly send the cables to another Ac member provided they are a regular contributor.  I'd be a bit nervous to send all those cables to someone who had only posted once or twice.

There are a number of guys who i've been in contact with ie. Bluesky (queensland), Johnr (our main man in sydney), Dsk (melbourne) and there are a couple of other guys as well.

Just respond to this thread or pm me.

regards

rocket

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2004, 10:59 am »
Hi Rocket
I would be interested in cables.
I have been a 'teflon coated, single core, braided CAT 5" sort of a guy for a couple of years.
Prefered them to 89259 cables.
I have recently been playing around with multi strand silver coated stuff I picked up from a pen pal in USA. I like these cables.
I have since borrowed some exotic cables from AndyR and Aaragon.
I am finding that the RCA sockets make more of a difference than cables. My flying leads (directly soldered to the input selector) sound better than all other cables.
I would love to try your cables.

Rocket

cable comparison
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2004, 02:56 am »
Hi Malcolm,

No problem sending the cables to you.

I'm out of action Again with my hifi as i think i've blown both my tweeters in my speakers this time.  I've just had my aksa repaired.
They must have torn (they are raven 1 ribbon tweeters) at the same time which is Really unusual.

I've connected another pair of speakers and the tweeters are working perfect so it can't be the amp etc.

My email address is:

gittos@dodo.com.au

Please provide you home address and i will forward them to you on monday.

Are you into vinyl as well?  I may be buying carlman's bugle and thought i could send this to you as well.  The only proviso is you have to replace the batteries on return as i've just put new ones in.

Best wishes

Rocket

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2004, 04:08 am »
Thanks Rocket/Rod for handling the loan out of my cables :) ....sorry to hear about your speaker problem !!  :?
    Malcolm , contact Rocket , he'll set you up with the package. Thanks and happy experimenting !! Loanwolf :lol: [/list:u]

Rocket

cables and phonostage
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:38 am »
Hi,

The cables and bugle phonostage are on their way to sydney and should arrive later this week or early next week.

If there are any other Regular posters living in Oz who would like to listen to the cables or bugle please post your interest here.

Anyone thinking of a phonostage should have a listen to the bugle.

regards

rod

bluesky

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2004, 08:06 am »
Hi Rod

Count me in, I'd be very interested to give them a listen.  

I did try Malcolm's Cat5e recipe and whilst I found them good for interconnects I did not think they were the best for my speakers.  This may be system dependent of course and everyone has to find out what works for their particular set up.

By the way I have been helping out some of our audio community with cutting speaker panels and had Chris over today working on his bookshelves.  

Unfortunately (ha!) he left his CD wallet behind and I am currently enjoying his Dave Brubeck CD until he comes back to finish off his project in the next few days.  Chris has a wealth of knowledge and helped me out with identifying components in my aging Pioneer CD player.

Let me know if we can arrange a listen.  Of course I will bare (bear?) shipping costs.

Cheers

Ian

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2004, 09:52 am »
Hi Bluesky.

Where are you (where do you live, who are you). Maybe if everyone agrees, I can send you the leads.
What is the make up of your system? I have had a lot of success with the 8 strand CAT 5 for speaker leads. Interested in your comments. What bettered the CAT 5.

regards
(I am too old to remember these nom de plumes. My user name is Malcolm Fear. I remember who I am, I hope other people do)

Rocket

Aussie Audition Package
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2004, 09:53 am »
Hi Bluesky,

Yes we can forward the audition package to you.

I'm sure you'd like to listen to the bugle, the only consideration is that it will only work with mm cartridges.

Firstly if it is okay with you, we'll find if any Regular Ac members in sydney would like to have a listen to the package.  May'be Johnr would be interested as i know he is into vinyl as well.

Then we'll send it up to you in Brisbane.

best wishes

Rocket

bluesky

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2004, 11:01 am »
Hi Malcolm and Rod,

I live in Brisbane.

My system is as follows:

Michell Gyro SE, Origin Live Silver Tonearm, Dynavector 10X5 cartridge.

Pioneer (old) PD7700 Cd Player

Aksa TLP Nirvana

Aksa 55 Watt Nirvana amp

Cabling all DIY, power cables Larry's shielded power cable, Malcolm's DIY Cat5e interconnects, Hugh's 15 amp auto wire speaker cables.

I certainly don't have your experience Macloclm, however, I just didn't hear a great leap forward with the Cat5e speaker cable (braided as per your instruction).  However, like I said, it may just be my system.

I hope to finish the Aksonics over the next few days and will use all the speakers cables in my locker to see which sounds best!  I am currently using some Interdyn BT2's.

Cheers

Ian

bluesky

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2004, 11:02 am »
Hi Malcolm and Rod,

I live in Brisbane.

My system is as follows:

Michell Gyro SE, Origin Live Silver Tonearm, Dynavector 10X5 cartridge.

Pioneer (old) PD7700 Cd Player

Aksa TLP Nirvana

Aksa 55 Watt Nirvana amp

Cabling all DIY, power cables Larry's shielded power cable, Malcolm's DIY Cat5e interconnects, Hugh's 15 amp auto wire speaker cables.

I certainly don't have your experience Malcolm, however, I just didn't hear a great leap forward with the Cat5e speaker cable (braided as per your instruction).  However, like I said, it may just be my system.

I hope to finish the Aksonics over the next few days and will use all the speakers cables in my locker to see which sounds best!  I am currently using some Interdyn BT2's.

Cheers

Ian

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2004, 11:26 am »
Hi Ian
(now I remember).
What are your feelings on the Origin arms. They are on my short list for a turntable upgrade (after visiting Chris Brady and hearing a Teres turntable).
Interesting comments on the CAT 5E. Tell me more about your cables. I am always interested in other peoples results.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2004, 07:22 am »
Just wondering...how's the cable tour going ? :)  A point of interest , in that package thats making the rounds are three Zu Cable products....1 pr. Zu Wax SC's, 1 pr. Zu Warmouth IC's , and 1 pr. Zu Disco IC's, as well as a Stereovox HDXV digital cable. And a few other brands. :)

Rocket

aussie cable loan
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2004, 08:47 am »
Hi Chris,

Malcolm emailed me a few days ago to inform me that he had finished listening to the cables.

Next person on the list is Ian in brisbane.  He has built an aksa 100 and aksonics (not sure what preamp he uses), i'll keep you informed as to where the cables go.  Perhaps after Ian has listened to them the cables could go to melbourne, as there are a few aksa devotees who may be interested in listening to them.

regards

rod

ps my system is off line at the moment.  the aksa is being upgraded.

Malcolm Fear

The best connector is no connector.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2004, 09:48 pm »
Hi
I will send the cables to Bluesky as soon as I receive his address.
Thanks for the loan.

I don't have a DAC, so couldn't listen to the digital ic.
The banana sockets on the back of my AKSA are too close for me to try the speaker cables.

Playing with the audio interconnects, it strengthens my opinion that $3.00 gold plated brass RCA sockets that are on the back of my pre amp, sound bad.
Also average DIY interconnects with Eichmann RCA plugs can sound very good.
I am headed towards directly soldering my DIY interconnects terminated with Eichmanns to the selector switch on the pre amp.

I am also headed in the direction of soldering my speaker leads directly to the lugs on the speaker drivers and the other end directly to the power amp boards (unless Neutik Speakon connectors are as good as some people tell me).

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2004, 10:11 pm »
Malcolm,
    Glad you got to try them....thanks and all the best to you !! :thumb: [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2004, 04:25 pm »
Hello ,
    Does anone care to comment on the cables that they listened to ? Zu, Stereovox, Kimber, Onix, MAD....how did they sound in your system ? Others might be interested in what results you heard.....thanks !! :) [/list:u]

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2004, 08:33 pm »
I found that any cable of mine, with Eichmanns on one end, the other directly soldered to the input selector, sounded better than any cable with RCA plugs on both ends, plugged into an RCA socket.

Listening to your cables made me change my system as follows:
I installed a DACT selector switch into my pre amp.
I made up IC's, Eichmanns on one end, the other ends directly soldered to the DACT. I made up a variety of cable combinations (2, 3 and 4 core). I haven't worked out what is best yet.
I directly soldered one end of my speaker cables to the speaker lugs (Diatone full range). The other end are directly soldered to the power amp boards.

My next trick is to convert my amp (AKSA 55 watt power amp and AKSA GK-1 pre amp) to an integrated, thus removing the last set of RCA sockets.

The best connector is no connector.

Rocket

Cable Recommendations
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2004, 03:35 am »
Hi,

I was just wondering if Bluesky could share his impressions of the cables that he listened to.

regards

rocket

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2004, 04:15 am »
Just a quick post to say thanks Rocket/Rod, the cables arrived back here in fine shape today !!  :thumb:
    Thanks to all the Aussie members for taking good care of them, I enjoyed sending them to you , and hope you got a good listen !! :notworthy: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]