Hello Aussie's - Cable Loan

bluesky

« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2004, 05:26 am »
Hi Rod and (others)

To be honest I hadn't posted because I did not get a lot out of what I tried and didn't wish to offend anyone after such a nice gesture of allowing me to audition the cables.

The interconnects I currently use are copper Eichmann Bullets coupled with silver wire and teflon insulation.  This is braided using Malcolm's suggested technique using four strands of the silver wire which were threaded into teflon tubing.  These are then shielded with tinned copper braid.  I got both the wire and tubing very cheaply and the Bullets when they were on special sometime ago, the speaker cables are simply high purity copper auto wire with PVC coating (also cheap).

I did not find any of the cables that I tried to best the set up that I have built myself.  The Eichmann/silver wire combo in particular was audibly better than any of the other interconnects I tried being more detailed and allowing me to see (hear?) into the music better.  This applied right across the audio spectrum with better imaging and placement of instruments and much better vocal rendition as well as more defined bass.

At least I am happy to know that what I have built has been worthwhile and whilst there may be better stuff out there in the market the costs of bettering what I have would not be worth the considerable costs involved.  Keith-Louis Eichmann assisted me with advice and construction of my interconnects and is going to build me some of his own speaker cables, I am very lucky to have such help living in the next suburb to me here in Brisbane!  He is a very nice guy by the way and he runs the audio club here in Queensland.

Cheers

Ian

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2004, 07:53 am »
I have come to the conclusion that Eichmanns are incredibly good. I too orefer my cables (with Eichmanns) to any other. I now use silver plated copper cable with Eichmanns.
After listening to the cables from Lonewolf, I got into my gear and removed all connectors that I could.
My pre amp cables all have Eichmanns on one end. The other end are directly soldered to a DACT selector switch.
My speaker cables are direcly soldered to the speaker lugs then to the AKSA power amp boards.
The best connector is indeed no connector.

bluesky

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2004, 08:09 am »
Hi Malcolm

This is pretty much what I intend to do as well.  Connect the speaker cables directly to the output and whatever else I can do like this.  It seems crazy to me to add a connector a few centimetres away from the PCB that is supplying the signal just because we are all used to doing it this when building our systems.

I use a volume pot from Chris Taylor and his selection switch as well but these still need to be intergrated into my cases that I am building.

Cheers

Ian

Rocket

cable loan from Lonewolf
« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2004, 10:40 am »
Hi Chris,

Well i'm impressed that the cables only took 6 days to go half way around the world and thankfully they arrived in one piece.

I would like to Formally thank Lonewolf for sending his cables to us in Oz,  as it was a wonderful gesture.

I did find it interesting listening to different types of cables.  I thought the stereovox digital cable sounded better than the one that i was using.

Best wishes

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: cable loan from Lonewolf
« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2004, 01:18 pm »
Quote from: Rocket

I would like to Formally thank Lonewolf for sending his cables to us in Oz,  as it was a wonderful gesture.
Thank you Rod !! :D  I hope it leads other AC members to exchange items as I have done....it benefits everyone involved !!! :beer:
    Chris ....(aka....Loanwolf :lol: )[/list:u]

bluesky

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2004, 02:10 am »
Hi Lonewolf

I too would like to formally thankyou for your generosity in send ing these cables over for us Aussies to audition, most of them were brands I am not familiar with and it was great to have the opportunity to hear them.

Thanks again,

Bluesky

navi

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2004, 05:41 am »
You people should try solid core silver 30-34ga. insulated with cotton- it is the best i've heard so far- more body in the mids and no harshness/grain in the highs- and the background is dead silent.  i've tried teflon tubing -it's not as good as cotton.

for longer lengths wrap the cable in Stillpoints ERS give good results

bluesky

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2004, 06:34 am »
Hi Navi

I might give this a try, I have go some silver wire but not as thin as you recommend and have been using teflon tubing.  It is a real pain to thread it into, so some cotton seeving would make it easier to make and it is not too expensive either.

Cheers

Ian

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2004, 06:48 am »
Ian,
    Thank you for the kind words !! I was happy to do it. :thumb: [/list:u]
      Silver wire with cotton....would you mean this by
VH Audio ??[/list:u]

navi

« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2004, 08:50 am »
Vh audio has it
but i get mine through soundlabs in australia.
they have a 34.ga. silver that is amazing ($10 per mt AUS.).

but i use a 30ga. silver from Michael percy audio. 75cents US a foot unisulated

cotton cost about $3 per mt.
large ga. silver sounds less dynamic than the finer gauges- keep it 28ga or lower.

thread the silver through the cotton with a sowing needle.
the sound of cotton/silver (fine ga.) is amazing.

AKSA

« Reply #30 on: 17 Dec 2004, 10:25 pm »
Hi Chris,

That was very kind of you to send cables all the way Downunder!

You are clearly a genital and a scollop, Sir!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Hugh