Nemir's SoundScape 8 home theater

jsalk

Nemir's SoundScape 8 home theater
« on: 21 Jan 2013, 05:10 pm »
Nemir wanted a full-blown home theater system based around the SoundScape 8's.  It started as a smaller project, but he wanted to do it right the first time around.  So he left no stone unturned.

He wanted a piano black finish on all of this speakers.

He started with SoundScape 8's...

Then added a SoundScape C7 center channel...

For surround speakers, he chose a pair of SoundScape M7 monitors...

And for the bottom end, a pair of 15" Salk/Rythmik subs with dual 15" passive radiators...

This should be a very impressive HT set-up to say the least!

Happy listening Nemir!

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: Nemir's SoundScape 8 home theater
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2013, 05:24 pm »
WOW!

those are beautiful!

Welcome aboard Nemir!

the black woofers on black is always a stunning SS8 finish

what amplifiers will  you be running these with?
roll off freq to the subs?

send pics of the room and setup when you get a chance,
and as always your insights

sounds like a marvelous SALK based HT system

watch for at lease 2, possibly three fork lift pallets for these
better clear out the garage

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:18 pm »
I sure would like to watch a good sounding bluray with that set-up!

(W)KRP

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:23 pm »
2 subs? OMG.  :no_see:

If I wasn't doing a custom veneer I'd do black. Matches my monitor very well. Show us a pic when you get it set up. Awesome.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:08 pm »
Congratulations, Nemir, and if this is your first Salk product then welcome to the family!

benguin

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:52 pm »
You are really going to love that combination!  I went with the same front trio with one 15" sub and couldn't be more pleased.

Jim's subwoofers are as impressive as his main speakers, and I look forward to a full report on how the dual 15" passives sound.  Based on the single 15" sound levels, make sure you've got all breakables firmly secured for reference level HT use.  It is one sweet unit.

Be sure to have a hand truck or a couple of well trained friends ready for unpacking and set up.
  Enjoy!
   Ben

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:19 pm »
I should point out that Nemir does not live in the US.  And we haven't yet determined the shipping details or where we will be shipping them.  So it could be quite a while before he actually receives them and has everything set up.  He also purchased a number of Bryston amps he had shipped here.  We will be testing them and packing them up with the speakers as well.

- Jim

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2013, 08:42 pm »
That's a very impressive system. Looks like he did it right  :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2013, 03:10 am »
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:  Impressive! All the way to the top.

nemir

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2013, 07:01 am »
Yes.    I did a *lot* of reading,  study and background on this.

My original idea for a budget was about $12k.

This kinda went over that by a tad.    :oops:

One of the problems I had before I started was that I didn't know what the room dimensions were going to be,  and I definitely wanted enough bass, so I figured I'd go for two subs to make sure.

It was a hard thing to choose amps and processor too.   In the end I went with the bryston SP3 and complementary 4B SS2 & 6B  SS2 for power.  I wanted to get something that would deliver me a happy stereo experience alongside a great surround one.

I am still thinking of getting a dedicated stereo amp and using it via passthrough,  but that will be the project after the next one:

Getting a credenza/stand/rack that looks ok,  and then wrestling with the room to balance the sound when the gear arrives.

I am not the usual sort of audiophile who is constantly spending their life immersed in their equipment.  Last time I looked was about 12 years ago.  I am guessing this rig may well keep me happy for another dozen or more.

Anyone got advice on a third party audyssey type thing?   And can you tell me,   could I use a shure sm58 as the mic for it, or do you have to use the one supplied?

nemir

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2013, 07:42 am »
2 subs? OMG.  :no_see:

If I wasn't doing a custom veneer I'd do black. Matches my monitor very well. Show us a pic when you get it set up. Awesome.

Yah,  didn't know the room or the decor it was to go into,  so I decided that a standard piano black was really the best option.  There were a few that really tested my resolve though!!

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2013, 01:57 pm »

Anyone got advice on a third party audyssey type thing?   And can you tell me,   could I use a shure sm58 as the mic for it, or do you have to use the one supplied?

Be careful with Audyssey-type systems.  The speakers are voiced flat and there really isn't much you can do to improve things over 100 - 200 Hz.  You are really looking for something that can EQ for room modes - peaks and valleys that generally occur at lower frequencies.

As for a mic, it will need to be calibrated.  Normally, mics used for systems like this are.  You may be able to find someone who can calibrate your SM58, but without calibration, your measurements will not be accurate.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2013, 03:05 pm »
You have good taste in gear, Nemir.  I look forward to the day you take delivery and get everything set up.  I do hope you'll update us with impressions and pictures once everything is in place and you've had time to enjoy your new system.

fishinbob

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:27 pm »

I am not the usual sort of audiophile who is constantly spending their life immersed in their equipment.  Last time I looked was about 12 years ago.  I am guessing this rig may well keep me happy for another dozen or more.

Anyone got advice on a third party audyssey type thing?   

Based on the above and what Jim mentioned I suggest looking at the anti mode line. It is about as plug and play as it gets and the results are usually very good. I just put one in myself and it made quite a difference even with my tired old sub.

I love the look of your Salks BTW.

teetee

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2013, 05:12 pm »
Dspeaker anti-mode 2.0 dual core will help you with accoustic treatment. I still adding accoustic treatment to my room with anti-mode connected. Just add some bass trap and do measure, add more if you need to and then measure again until you are satisfied with the result. You can then remove the anti-mode from your system or leave it there if you like.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2013, 06:43 pm »
   You do beautiful work Sir. Well done.

charles

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2013, 08:31 pm »
Piano black is awesome. Congrats.  My satin black SS8s are showing to be at final inspection stage. :thumb:
 I hope to get them soon. I may do the surround and center also if I change my mind
about going to stereo only. I agree with teetee  that the DSP anti mode may be a good solution with the SP3. I have been waiting to hear the SS8s in my well treated room. The antimode may be my next purchase depending on how everything sounds. Enjoy all that great gear and speakers. Pete

Johnbr

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:16 am »
You are one lucky guy have a lot of fun with the new speakers.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:58 pm »
SM58?

That is a voice mic or am i mistaken?  If it is a voice mic it will not have the type pattern needed for room correction.

Gzerro

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2013, 07:49 pm »
SM58?

That is a voice mic or am i mistaken?  If it is a voice mic it will not have the type pattern needed for room correction.

Yes. The Shure SM58 is a cardoid mic (highly sensetive to direction and distance from the source). It won't work for room measurements.

A great source for affordable room measurement microphones is here:

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/

Either the Dayton or Behringer along with the calibration files provided will do an excellent job if the system you choose doesn't come with a microphone of its own. I use the Dayton mic with REW software and it works great.