Anyone interested in a low cost DC blocker box?

srb

Re: Anyone interested in a low cost DC blocker box?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2013, 01:47 am »
their site is messed up.  it's supposed to be $75, but when you add it to the cart it is $99.  you can get it through them via amazon for $75 with free shipping.

You must be looking at previously cached pages?  The Emotiva site shows $99.00 before it is added to the cart, as does the listing on Amazon.

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2013, 02:53 am »
You must be looking at previously cached pages?  The Emotiva site shows $99.00 before it is added to the cart, as does the listing on Amazon.

Steve

nope, I saw the strangeness on the Emotiva site last night with the $99/$75 swap and ordered mine from Amazon for $75.  Seems like maybe they were only partially done updating their site and I caught it at the right time.

luke357sig

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2013, 03:13 am »
I had an Emotivo XPA-3 and can understand why they made the noise eliminator.  Thing hummed like crazy.  Replaced it with an AVA Insight + double 440H.  When I first turned the 440 on, I thought it was dead.  Absolutely dead quiet.  Happily, when I put a CD on the Maggies really started singing.

Mountain-ear

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:23 am »
My Synergy 600 (with the 1000 watt transformer) has a very low level hum.  It doesn't seem to vary based on the amp's output level, and I can't hear it if I'm not standing right beside it.  I always assumed it was a by-product of the oversized transformer.  Is that not the case?  Maybe I should be considering a DC blocker...

Keep us posted on your test of the Emotiva turns out.   

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2013, 04:49 am »
What is the Synergy 600?

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:57 am »
Hi Frank,

I'd be interested in a unit if you decide to build it.

Cheers Rod

Mountain-ear

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:51 am »
Frank built a one-off amplifier a while back using a 1KW transformer as an experiment.  He said that was the largest he could fit into the standard amp chassis.  It was originally built as an Insight amp and was called a 580 because it measured out at 290 watts/channel.  I sent it back for an upgrade to the Synergy level, and it came back as a Synergy 600.  The new circuits must be a little more efficient that the previous design.

I'm sure Frank would build another one if you wanted a really big solid state amp.  I feel like I have more power than I will ever need, but there's nothing like some head room when you want to crank it up.

FWIW, the Synergy upgrade was worth every cent.  I know it's been posted elsewhere, but I can't say enough good things about Frank and his capable team.  I continue to be amazed by what they can do, and if he builds his Humdinger, I'm sure it will be a humdinger! :)

avahifi

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm »
The Emotivo XPA-3 passes our hair dryer test, as does the PS Audio Humbuster and our much simpler prototype.

Unfortunately, as long as you can buy the Emotiva for $100 or less, there is no point in us trying to make our own.  We can't compete at the current Emotiva price.

We did buy both an Emotiva and a PS Humbuster and dissected both.  Both are well build and should do the job for you.

Frank

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm »
Frank, is there any way to tell if this Emo unit limits current at all?

avahifi

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:18 pm »
As all competent DC blockers have, there is a full wave rectifier on both the positive and neutral feeds.  These will cause about a 2V drop in the AC voltage to the power transformer due to the forward voltage drop across the diode bridges.  Its no big deal.

The Emotiva also has an RF filter consisting of a couple of inductors in series and caps across the line which might cause a little more voltage drop at high current.  I don't know what these inductors are rated for, but the unit overall is pretty solidly built, obviously designed to sell at a higher price (extruded aluminum chassis).

Interestingly, the effective blocking capabilities of the various ones we have tried (PS Audio Humbuster, Emotiva CMX-2, and our much simpler unit (two diode bridges and a single 0.47uf 630V "safety cap" across the line after the diodes) varies substantially depending upon the AC source used.

At my shop, when everything is attached to a AC strip I normally use that has a ground fault interrupter built in, using the hair dryer at half power test, and an old Dyna ST-120 with its single ended iron transformer as a test subject, the hair dryer makes its transformer almost leap off the shelf with huge vibrations.

Our simple prototype DC blocker stops the vibrations completely.  Neither the PS Audio or Emovita units are as effective.  They tame the transformer buzz, but neither eliminate it.

Changing to a separate 20 amp dedicated line, all three units stop the hum completely.

At my engineer Dan's home lab neither the PS Audio or the Emovita units are effective, but our simple blocker is.

My electrical supply is typical suburban buried underground AC.  Dan's supply is from a rural cooperative.  We have no idea what is "different" from our electrical supply that Dan's.  All are properly wired and grounded to code and the AC outlets are properly wired.

Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what could be different between Dan's electricity and mine?

Both the PS Audio and Emovita have lots of capacitors in their circuits.  At Dan's lab, working with a PS Audio reverse engineered unit, he found that the ability to remove a DC spike IMPROVED as more of the capacitors were removed, with best results by far the very simple configuration we finally settled on to build into our Fet Valve amplifiers.  This keeps our toroid transformers silent under all test conditions we have tried.

Regards, and open to suggestions.

Frank Van Alstine

srb

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:34 pm »
The Emotivo XPA-3 passes our hair dryer test, as does the PS Audio Humbuster and our much simpler prototype.

Interestingly, the effective blocking capabilities of the various ones we have tried (PS Audio Humbuster, Emotiva XPA-3, and our much simpler unit (two diode bridges and a single 0.47uf 630V "safety cap" across the line after the diodes) varies substantially depending upon the AC source used.

I'm sure you are referring of course to the Emotiva CMX-2 filter and not the Emotiva XPA-3 3-channel X 200w amplifier mentioned in a previous post, but it did make me re-read the posts.

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:37 pm »
  Could the cooperative meaning sharing of services be the issue. Yours is a direct connection while the other goes fro one home to another. could the party service become nosier due  to all being connected to one another.
   BTW  great idea Sir.

charles

avahifi

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:39 pm »
Fixed the wrong Emotiva model number above, of course we were refering to the blocker, not an audio amplifier.

Frank

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:15 pm »
Thank you Frank.  Very informative.

dB Cooper

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:12 am »
There appears to be direct current on this line

srb

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2013, 01:41 am »
There appears to be direct current on this line

Only electricity is supposed to come out of the "holes".

Steve

plaf26

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:36 am »
Reminds me of the Laurel & Hardy movie in which Ben Turpin was the apartment house handyman.  The wiring and the plumbing looked all right to him!

srb

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2013, 04:01 am »
The Three Stooges had an episode where they were Home Repairmen.  As would be expected, they boys got their wires (and pipes) crossed, and turning the kitchen faucet made the lights go on, turning on the gas range had water spewing out of the burners and so on.

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2013, 11:43 am »
Not so funny.  When I was young, our family visited a relative's home in Southern California.  It was a new gee whiz house with all the modern 1950's stuff including push-button water service.

Yup, each water faucet in the house had a row of push-buttons to select volume and temp, no old fashioned knobs at all.

Scary!

Frank

2gumby2

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm »
If AVA can improve on the Emotiva and the PS Audio, I'd be interested.