Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

Sparky14

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #740 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:57 pm »
For anyone who might have heard them at a retail store and bought them anyway, how much better can they sound under optimal conditions?

MUCH better. I'd be pretty confident in saying that about every speaker in a big box store.

afterlife2

« Reply #741 on: 25 Apr 2014, 08:22 pm »
^^+1 never listen to speakers in any store, unless they have a closed room.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #742 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm »

I guess you don't want to read through the 36 previous pages then?  :lol:

Lol, I have to read all 36 pages being the Facilitator.

Good grief, what do you expect from a "crappy store setup" ...where they are mounted on the top shelf with the tweeter far above your head driven with crap electronics playing  crap source material?  :roll:

MUCH better. I'd be pretty confident in saying that about every speaker in a big box store.

I agree, but would note I was able to identify the traits I have previously liked and disliked with other speakers on display there.  I think we all can be too much the audio snob when listening to big box products (I know I am anyway) and we should remember the "crap" electronics and source material are not all that bad.   When using them on a comparison basis they worked just fine.  My biggest concern was the placement, so I walked way back for my comparisons and could easily hear the difference between the Pioneers, the Polks, and the Klipsch speakers.  All that being said, I'm sure they improve with high quality sources and proper placement, I didn't think they'd gain enough dynamics and bass impact for me to be interested, even for fun as a spare set.

Also note that I would still recommend them for someone looking for new in that price range.  Their problems seemed to all be the famous "sins of omission" type.  I thought they were very smooth and inoffensive.  However, for a couple of dollars more ($198 vs $120/pr) I would have purchased the somewhat larger Polks hands down.  For the Polk model closer to the Pioneer's price point, it would have been much closer (not sure which models, I just pushed the yellow buttons).  So I think I be more interested in either Dennis' modded speakers or a mythical "BS-42" model, a little larger model with more punch and musicality.       

Wind Chaser

« Reply #743 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:23 am »
As for dynamics and bass impact--paired with my new amp... those are some of the things they excel at. Pulled out 10' off the front wall into the center of the room, bass (within it's limitation) is astonishing.

Macro dynamics at times makes for an interesting challenge. It plays out like this.

"That's not too loud is it?"

"No, that's fine. Leave the volume there."

One minute later...  :rock:

"TURN IT DOWN!" :flak:

"I never touched the volume control."

"Yeah, right."

Sparky14

« Reply #744 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:28 am »
So I think I be more interested in either Dennis' modded speakers or a mythical "BS-42" model, a little larger model with more punch and musicality.       

Agreed there, I have the Dennis 22s at work, and they are a marked improvement.

charmerci

« Reply #745 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:57 am »
Agreed there, I have the Dennis 22s at work, and they are a marked improvement.

But he's not modding them anymore, just the FS52's.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #746 on: 26 Apr 2014, 01:54 pm »
As for dynamics and bass impact--paired with my new amp... those are some of the things they excel at. Pulled out 10' off the front wall into the center of the room, bass (within it's limitation) is astonishing.

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like I'll have to find a better setup to hear them at their best.  Maybe Best Buy will have a more revealing installation.

stlrman

« Reply #747 on: 26 Apr 2014, 02:02 pm »
I'm buying the SF-52's today or tomorrow !!  :thumb:
They will need to sound great as they are replacing my Vapor Breeze speakers.
I am using them for 99% home theater.

afterlife2

« Reply #748 on: 26 Apr 2014, 02:29 pm »

But he's not modding them anymore, just the FS52's.
Not yet. I'm still waiting...

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #749 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:35 am »
You're not the only one who's waiting.  I have all the crossover parts and tweeters here--just waiting for my supplier of 52's to get them back in stock.  They keep pushing the date back. 
The latest ETA is Monday, but I'm not betting the store on it.  If they do get stock and ship, I'll get to work and put them up for sale.  The price will be $275/pr.  I really don't know what the competition is like at that price.  Does Polk have a decent tower speaker for $300/pr or less?  I don't do Best Buy, so I'm kind of in the dark. 

afterlife2

« Reply #750 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:12 am »
You're not the only one who's waiting.  I have all the crossover parts and tweeters here--just waiting for my supplier of 52's to get them back in stock.  They keep pushing the date back. 
The latest ETA is Monday, but I'm not betting the store on it.  If they do get stock and ship, I'll get to work and put them up for sale.  The price will be $275/pr.  I really don't know what the competition is like at that price.  Does Polk have a decent tower speaker for $300/pr or less?  I don't do Best Buy, so I'm kind of in the dark.

Count me in! :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #751 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm »
The price will be $275/pr.  I really don't know what the competition is like at that price.  Does Polk have a decent tower speaker for $300/pr or less?  I don't do Best Buy, so I'm kind of in the dark.

There is a Polk tower at that price, a little lower in price as it's on closeout, the TSX330T is $250/pr now at BB, it's maybe a little better the unmodded 52's.  The Polk has a lower f3, 33hz vs 40hz (unspecified), a little more efficient at 90db vs 87db, and is a more integrated sounding product, albeit still fairly veiled and confused.  It's normally $500/pr so I assume a new model is in the works.  Polk's don't really get to "high fidelity" until you go up to the Rti line, which is $800/pr for floorstanders, a bargain price for what you get, but not in competition with you and not C&C. 

Another competitor is the little Infinity tower (and it's nearly identical JBL stablemate).  Not my favorite speaker for sure, but they kick butt in the $300/pr tower market, which is very limited anyway.  I guess you could say the Polks and the Infinitys are the only acceptable floorstanders at that price, IME.  Neither of them would be described in the same fashion that Frank described your modded 52's. 

Doublej

« Reply #752 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:11 pm »
Polk has a couple of floorstanders that are regularly on sale for less than $300/pair. Recently their Monitor 55T was available for $100/pair. There's also a M65T at under $300/pair when on sale.

JBL Studio 80's can be found on sale for $200/pair.
Infinity Primus 363 can be found for under $300/pair.
Klipsch has some too in this price point.

To see more details go to slickdeals.net and put the brand you are interested in into the search box.

I have not heard any of them so I have no idea as to how they sound.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #753 on: 1 May 2014, 02:19 pm »
The only $300 and down tower that I would consider in stock form,
would be the Cambridge Audio S70 - for $260 a pair
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs70oak/cambridge-audio-s70-5-3-way-floorstanding-speakers-each-dark-oak/1.html

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #754 on: 1 May 2014, 03:50 pm »
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs70oak/cambridge-audio-s70-5-3-way-floorstanding-speakers-each-dark-oak/1.html

Granted it's on sale for that price, but the retail is $600/pr.  At that price we bring in MMGs and PSB Alpha Ts, as well as several other models that might be much better than anything anyone could wring out of the Pioneers.  The CAs are likely a great bargain at the closeout price (I haven't heard them), but so are many used and closeout models.  Not that it's wrong to mention a sale price, only recognizing that the fair comparison would be Dennis' modded 52s selling used in a couple of years for $100.

charmerci

« Reply #755 on: 1 May 2014, 05:28 pm »
  Not that it's wrong to mention a sale price, only recognizing that the fair comparison would be Dennis' modded 52s selling used in a couple of years for $100.

Good luck with that. The Pio 22's and 52's have been out for years and they've sold a gazillion of those. Look at ebay on a regular basis and you can only occasionally find them for sale used at almost retail.

afterlife2

« Reply #756 on: 1 May 2014, 09:45 pm »
Everytime I get a notice I'm thinking the 52 mod is on sale. :nono: :lol:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #757 on: 2 May 2014, 12:59 am »

Good luck with that. The Pio 22's and 52's have been out for years and they've sold a gazillion of those. Look at ebay on a regular basis and you can only occasionally find them for sale used at almost retail.

Yeah, I've been at this awhile, the latest and greatest fades from the limelight and prices settle down after a few years.  Right now they're hot, remember the Insignia a couple of years ago?  Last one I saw was $40 on eBay.  The very nice Cambridge Audio mentioned above is selling for a 57% discount.  But you could be right about the modded speakers, limited edition status may keep their values higher for a longer period.  For the stock models you need only check current sale prices on the BS21s.

Joemannnnn

« Reply #758 on: 2 May 2014, 01:46 pm »

How do you think these would compare to modded FS52's.  The price is similar.  I'm excited to possibly try the modded FS52's, but one thing I don't love is the looks.  I think I like the looks of the S70's better.  At the end of the day, I want what will sound best.  The other issue is the S50 center speaker is double the price of the modded center from Dennis.  So the Cambridge towers and center will run $100 more.     

soundbitten1

« Reply #759 on: 2 May 2014, 03:28 pm »
Yeah, I've been at this awhile, the latest and greatest fades from the limelight and prices settle down after a few years.  Right now they're hot, remember the Insignia a couple of years ago?  Last one I saw was $40 on eBay. 

Though I got them on sale that's what I paid for new Insignias's. I don't think they were much more than that unless they raised the price later.