Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

WaldenPond

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #720 on: 26 Mar 2014, 12:06 am »
Hey, Afterlife2

I got the 22's because it appears that it will take Dennis a while to whittle down his inventory of those same 22's before he begins producing the 52's in earnest.

I didn't want to wait for the larger ones, so just hit the PayPal button for the little guys.

I will probably jump on the 52's when they are available.

It will take me a while to compare them to the main systems since these will be in a different location - for my Mom's (unlistenable) TV - a true audio-horror (I turn them down to "2" because of the distortion and hand her the wireless headphones. That bad. Shame on you, Vizio.)

It would be a hoot to hook em up to the big rig and hear what happens.

For now, I got her a Peachtree iNova - decent sound and a very simple remote. Off/On. Up/ Down. Nice.

More to follow as it all unfolds.

Cheers,

Ken

afterlife2

« Reply #721 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:37 pm »
Cool thanks Ken. :green: Can't wait for the review and if possible some pics. Does the tweeter look different from the stock one? Also is the same tweeter and crossover used for both 22's and 52's? Still waiting on Dennis to reply.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #722 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:32 pm »
Dennis's crossover for the 52s  is very much different and much more complex than for the 22s.  The 52s were very difficult to crack.  The three woofers are essentially wired in series and no "normal" crossover design software is designed to cope with that.  I believe both his 22 and 52 upgrades use the same new tweeter.

Again, my 52s that Dennis reworked are very nice speakers.  They don't have the range or transparency of my HT3s or Philly 3s (I would really have been surprised if they did) but they are quite neutral sounding and easy to listen to.  One can forget their low price, that is for sure.

Frank Van Alstine

afterlife2

« Reply #723 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:10 am »
Thanks Frank for the insight. I am so looking to hear the new mod, Just waiting to hear back from Dennis...

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #724 on: 28 Mar 2014, 04:35 am »
Thanks Frank for the insight. I am so looking to hear the new mod, Just waiting to hear back from Dennis...

The Insight, the Synergy, the Fet-Valve, I could go on and on..

danali

« Reply #725 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:41 pm »
Dropped the $89 bones and took the open baffle Hawthornes out of the rotation for a while. Added a topping tp20 class d for $30 from ebay.
(had the parts express sonic impact in aluminum chassis.)
Yes they are worth the money.
Ye I hear things I did not hear from other speakers.
Yes I am upgrading the Cal Audio DAC to either a $100 Schiit, Dragonfly, or HRT.
Agree with Mr. Van Alstine's comments on a computer, (spotify) cheap amp, these speakers and maybe a cheapish dac and it is pretty hard to beat unless a lot more is spent.
They do produce an amount of bass that is confounding given their size. Not muddled either.
These really shine on acoustic music. (Iron and Wine)
Thanks all for the reviews here. Would have never stumbled upon them otherwise.
If you haven't checked them out, try them.  :thumb:

innocent bystander

« Reply #726 on: 2 Apr 2014, 07:28 pm »
Has anyone thought about using a couple of T amps (or Sure boards) fed by a 2 way active crossover to bypass the x-over network?  Seems overkill, but the electronics are pretty cheap.

afterlife2

« Reply #728 on: 4 Apr 2014, 02:22 pm »
Have not heard back from Dennis. :( Is there a better way to contact him? I really want some info about the modded 52's. :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #729 on: 4 Apr 2014, 03:45 pm »
Have not heard back from Dennis. :( Is there a better way to contact him? I really want some info about the modded 52's. :thumb:

You're trying info@philharmonicaudio.com ?

If you are, maybe he's just out of town for now.

afterlife2

« Reply #730 on: 5 Apr 2014, 12:46 pm »
No just PM'd him here, but no reply. :scratch: I'll try that one. Thanks man.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #731 on: 5 Apr 2014, 04:59 pm »
Hi Afterlife     Sorry--I rarely get to the AC circle, and I don't get any alert for messages.  Best to e-mail me at the info address.   Just to clear up any possible confusion, the 52 upgrade cannot be implemented in the field.   It's too complex for that.  I'll have to perform it on new 52's I order.  I'll be caught up on my 22 orders this weekend and will turn to the 52's next week.   I still don't know how much it will cost. 

afterlife2

« Reply #732 on: 6 Apr 2014, 05:14 am »
Hi Afterlife     Sorry--I rarely get to the AC circle, and I don't get any alert for messages.  Best to e-mail me at the info address.   Just to clear up any possible confusion, the 52 upgrade cannot be implemented in the field.   It's too complex for that.  I'll have to perform it on new 52's I order.  I'll be caught up on my 22 orders this weekend and will turn to the 52's next week.   I still don't know how much it will cost.

Hi Dennis thanks! I'm looking forward to buying the 1st 52's when you are ready. I'll be tuned here waiting patiently.

danali

« Reply #733 on: 12 Apr 2014, 02:25 pm »
slight buzzing or resonance coming from one of my speakers, took the driver out thinking it may have been fiberfill, nothing. Any thoughts? :scratch:

afterlife2

« Reply #734 on: 12 Apr 2014, 11:40 pm »
Check all wiring? You xcared me I thought Dennis put the 52's on sale.  :thumb:

danali

« Reply #735 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:45 pm »
problem fixed, thanks for the tip.  :thumb:

afterlife2

« Reply #736 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:39 pm »
problem fixed, thanks for the tip.  :thumb:

Glad it worked out. :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #737 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:49 am »
So I finally had a chance to hear a stock set of 22's at the local HH Gregg and I'm sad to say I was left very unimpressed.  With the caveat that of course the setup was way less than ideal, I found them dull and lifeless, lacking in dynamics and not very musical.  Judged on tone and frequency response, I'd say they are a nice bargain at either the $120 retail or the discounted prices quoted here and a product I'll still recommend to non-audiophile friends, but not something I'd want to add to my stable of speakers.  They also had the 52's on display and my comments would be similar, albeit with more dynamics and bass extension.  Now since everyone else here seems to think the 22's are far superior to the 52's in musicality, I'm willing to blame a lot of my underwhelment on the crappy store setup and source material, however the cheap Klipsch bookshelves sounded every bit as bad as I remembered and the Polk floorstanders sounded just as nice as I recalled them sounding elsewhere (nice, not great, but nice).  Also, I didn't hear the tizzy treble attributed to the little Pioneer's, possibly because they were mounted on the top shelf with the tweeter far above my head.  For anyone who might have heard them at a retail store and bought them anyway, how much better can they sound under optimal conditions? 

charmerci

« Reply #738 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:26 pm »
For anyone who might have heard them at a retail store and bought them anyway, how much better can they sound under optimal conditions?

I guess you don't want to read through the 36 previous pages then?  :lol:

(To kind of repeat myself, after dampening the cabinets, the highs are a bit rolled off. Nice bass for their size. They are a bit anemic overall but really don't do anything badly which for me meant I could crank them up without them hurting my ears.  They are best kept 2 ft from the wall as recommended by Pioneer.)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #739 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:39 pm »
So I finally had a chance to hear a stock set of 22's at the local HH Gregg and I'm sad to say I was left very unimpressed.  With the caveat that of course the setup was way less than ideal, I found them dull and lifeless, lacking in dynamics and not very musical.  Judged on tone and frequency response, I'd say they are a nice bargain at either the $120 retail or the discounted prices quoted here and a product I'll still recommend to non-audiophile friends, but not something I'd want to add to my stable of speakers.  They also had the 52's on display and my comments would be similar, albeit with more dynamics and bass extension.  Now since everyone else here seems to think the 22's are far superior to the 52's in musicality, I'm willing to blame a lot of my underwhelment on the crappy store setup and source material, however the cheap Klipsch bookshelves sounded every bit as bad as I remembered and the Polk floorstanders sounded just as nice as I recalled them sounding elsewhere (nice, not great, but nice).  Also, I didn't hear the tizzy treble attributed to the little Pioneer's, possibly because they were mounted on the top shelf with the tweeter far above my head.  For anyone who might have heard them at a retail store and bought them anyway, how much better can they sound under optimal conditions?

Good grief, what do you expect from a "crappy store setup" ...where they are mounted on the top shelf with the tweeter far above your head driven with crap electronics playing  crap source material?  :roll: