Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

MCM_Fan

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #760 on: 2 May 2014, 05:31 pm »
The only $300 and down tower that I would consider in stock form,
would be the Cambridge Audio S70 - for $260 a pair
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs70oak/cambridge-audio-s70-5-3-way-floorstanding-speakers-each-dark-oak/1.html

While that's a great deal on those Cambridge speakers, it does not include shipping.  When I use their shopping cart to calculate the shipping cost, the least expensive option for shipping (Fedex Ground) to my address is an additional $91.38.  That drives the price up to over $350/pair.  Still a good deal, but not the screaming good deal they would be at $260/pair.

I'm not sure what Dennis will be charging for shipping on his modded SP-FS52 speakers, but I think when shopping for comparable value, it's best to look at total delivered price, including shipping.

Joemannnnn

« Reply #761 on: 2 May 2014, 06:09 pm »
While that's a great deal on those Cambridge speakers, it does not include shipping.  When I use their shopping cart to calculate the shipping cost, the least expensive option for shipping (Fedex Ground) to my address is an additional $91.38.  That drives the price up to over $350/pair.  Still a good deal, but not the screaming good deal they would be at $260/pair.

I'm not sure what Dennis will be charging for shipping on his modded SP-FS52 speakers, but I think when shopping for comparable value, it's best to look at total delivered price, including shipping.

Shipping for me is $47, so I'm just over $300.  I imagine it's the same ballpark for the modded 52's.  Which would sound better?  And even then, the Cambridge center is $100 more. 

Joemannnnn

« Reply #762 on: 3 May 2014, 03:08 am »
I posted on AVS regarding my speaker search, and figured I'd try hear since several have heard the modded pioneer speakers.  I'm leaning towards the fs52 towers and center from Dennis, my other thoughts were:
S30s
S70s
Arx a1b
Ascend cbm170
Hvl-1

It's about 50/50 music to tv and movies for my listening.  If I went bookshelf, I'd need stands.  I'd be interested in any opinions since its not easy to audition all of these.  Getting a matching center would be a concern too, if I went with the higher priced bookshelf speakers, I'd maybe hold off to save forcenter

I've read a lot about all of these, just not sure how they'd stack up vs the modded pioneers.  Especially the more expensive arx and ascend line

Thanks for the help

macnoob

« Reply #763 on: 4 May 2014, 12:32 am »
You guys just cost me $50. Fry's has a SP-C21 on the way for me.

And I didn't like it at all. Kinda muffled sounding. Didn't work with my Boston A70s at all. So I sent it on its way.

afterlife2

« Reply #764 on: 4 May 2014, 12:44 am »
And I didn't like it at all. Kinda muffled sounding. Didn't work with my Boston A70s at all. So I sent it on its way.

The newer 22 center is really good and with the mod I bet better.

skriefal

• SLC, Utah
« Reply #765 on: 4 May 2014, 01:31 am »

You were using it with a set of L/Rs to which it wasn't timbre matched.  I'm not surprised that it did not work out.  This doesn't indicate much re: the performance of the SP-C21.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #766 on: 4 May 2014, 04:46 am »
The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are again on sale at amazon.com.  Current price is $99.00/pair with free shipping.  Also note, Best Buy price matches amazon prices.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #767 on: 6 May 2014, 07:45 pm »

The shipping for me would be $57.60 - so it depends on location - that is a good deal

I do not just look at shipping - I look at quality

Now based on the work of Dennis, the modded Pioneer tower should come out better
as far as quality. His modded BS22 bookshelves turned out better, than the Stock S30
Cambridge bookshelf speakers - and Cambridge does good work.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #768 on: 6 May 2014, 09:43 pm »
The shipping for me would be $57.60 - so it depends on location - that is a good deal

I'm on the West Coast.  So, it's definitely based on location.

I do not just look at shipping - I look at quality

I don't just look at shipping either, I look at value: quality/price and shipping cost impacts the bottom half of that equation.  I was just trying to point out when people are comparing other speakers to the quality and performance of the modded SP-FS52s, they should factor in the shipping cost to get an accurate comparison in terms of quality for money spent. 

Now based on the work of Dennis, the modded Pioneer tower should come out better
as far as quality. His modded BS22 bookshelves turned out better, than the Stock S30
Cambridge bookshelf speakers - and Cambridge does good work.

Agreed.  The unmodded SP-BS22-LPs are a very good value (especially when on sale).  The modded version is a great value.  Hopefully, the same will prove true for Dennis' modded SP-FS52s.  I fully expect it will.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #769 on: 9 May 2014, 07:26 pm »
Sigh.       My supplier's claimed restock date for the 52's slipped again--now they're saying next Friday.  I may have to break down and order a pair at retail just to get some feedback. 

MCM_Fan

« Reply #770 on: 9 May 2014, 08:21 pm »
Sigh.       My supplier's claimed restock date for the 52's slipped again--now they're saying next Friday.  I may have to break down and order a pair at retail just to get some feedback.

Dennis,

Is there a Best Buy near you?  I can't find any good current sale prices on the SP-FS52s.  Best Buy's current price is $126.99, but if you have one close by, you won't have to wait for, or pay for, shipping.  Also, if they go on sale at any competitor (including amazon.com), Best Buy will price match.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #771 on: 9 May 2014, 09:46 pm »
Dennis,

Is there a Best Buy near you?  I can't find any good current sale prices on the SP-FS52s.  Best Buy's current price is $126.99, but if you have one close by, you won't have to wait for, or pay for, shipping.  Also, if they go on sale at any competitor (including amazon.com), Best Buy will price match.

Thanks.   I do have a convenient BB.  I get free shipping from Amazon, but I might opt for BB to make sure of the price match.

afterlife2

« Reply #773 on: 10 May 2014, 12:02 am »

I can send my pair out to you. PM me if it's cool.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #774 on: 16 May 2014, 01:57 pm »

Sigh.  And sigh again.  Now the delivery date for the stock towers is the 27th.  I'll call today to see whether they really expect the towers to be available in the future.  I'm currently modding a pair that an owner sent me.  One of them clearly had a defective crossover board, so it appears that  there are the same kinds of QC issues with the towers as with the monitors.  If I can't get get assurances about continued delivery for the towers, I'll shift back to the monitors. 

Ryan45872

« Reply #775 on: 16 May 2014, 06:59 pm »
Sigh.  And sigh again.  Now the delivery date for the stock towers is the 27th.  I'll call today to see whether they really expect the towers to be available in the future.  I'm currently modding a pair that an owner sent me.  One of them clearly had a defective crossover board, so it appears that  there are the same kinds of QC issues with the towers as with the monitors.  If I can't get get assurances about continued delivery for the towers, I'll shift back to the monitors.
Can we send the towers to you to have them modded?
Thanks
Ryan

davidflas

« Reply #776 on: 21 May 2014, 10:43 am »
As a happy owner of a pair of SP-BS22-LR speakers, I wonder how the recently announced sell off of Pioneers home av division will effect availability and future development of the Andrew Jones speaker line.

ltr317

« Reply #777 on: 21 May 2014, 04:41 pm »
As a happy owner of a pair of SP-BS22-LR speakers, I wonder how the recently announced sell off of Pioneers home av division will effect availability and future development of the Andrew Jones speaker line.

Interesting news.  Which company bought the av division?

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #778 on: 21 May 2014, 04:56 pm »
Anyone got a link with details?