Technics sl-1200 turntable?

usp1

Technics sl-1200 turntable?
« on: 16 Dec 2012, 07:15 pm »
Is the technics sl-1200 mkii an audiophile turntable or just an overhyped dj turntable? I read glowing reviews on some forums and there seems to be a following for this TT but is it comparable to say a good Thorens or Rega or Pro-ject?

watercourse

Re: Technics sl-1200 turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2012, 07:24 pm »
Well, having been a DJ in my teens, growing up adoring that table, and finally earning enough to buy one when I was 17, I have to say that it has been formative in my understanding of how turntables should operate and sound.

That said, I recently revisited a stock Mk II and found it much darker and more ponderous than I have heard from other tables I really enjoy, like Rega, VPI, Garrard, Musical Life, Scheu, JVC. However, some people really like the stock 1200s too.

From what I gather from hundreds of thousands of posts here and elsewhere, it appears to be a good platform to modify even if you don't like the stock sound, and that it can produce a sound far different than stock if it doesn't suit you. Lots of aftermarket products and OEM parts available still, so from that standpoint, you can't lose. Also many people posting their experience, so you can surely learn from others.

usp1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2012, 07:36 pm »
Thanks...appreciate the insights. SInce I, despite good intentions, never actually end up doing DIY tweaks and upgrades the chances are that I have to like the table stock. A dark and ponderous table does not sound like anything I would enjoy.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2012, 09:10 pm »
I bought a 1210 MK5 on Ebay and sent to KAB to have it checked over and a few upgrades done (rewire, fluidic damper).  I put an Ortofon 2M Blue on it and have been enjoying it quite a bit.  Sadly, I don't have much experience with other tables so I can't give much insight into its strengths or weaknesses.

watercourse

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm »
Nothing replaces hearing it for yourself. I got my used 1200 for less than $350, and gave the next buyer (someone just starting out in vinyl) a really good deal on it after doing some minor repairs. Not too expensive to check out if you're interested.

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:18 pm »
Nothing replaces hearing it for yourself. I got my used 1200 for less than $350, and gave the next buyer (someone just starting out in vinyl) a really good deal on it after doing some minor repairs. Not too expensive to check out if you're interested.

Next time you feel generous again...send me a note... :)
But seriously, I can get one for $350 but the rca cable needs to be changed. Decisions decisions....

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm »
I just picked one up with a new AT 440, new cover, extra headshell for under 350.
I am a newbie but I feel it is a substantial table.  I would not hesitate to get a nice one for 350.  The cable should be an easy fix.
I can't see a new 500 table out performing it.  But then again I'm a newbie and haven't heard any $500+ tables in my system.

This purchase has confirmed to me that my signet cart on my JVC needs replacing, but that is a new topic.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:36 pm »

I can't see a new 500 table out performing it.  But then again I'm a newbie and haven't heard any $500+ tables in my system.

I am considering used turntables for around the $500 price. Was foolish enough to pass on a SOTA because I was afraid of the upgrade/repair costs.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm »
Do you know the source of the 1200?  ie. how was it used?
You gotta keep in mind you can get 90% or more of your money back if you decide to get out or upgrade.
I'm guessing a 1200 with a $200+ cart will be hard to beat new.

usp1

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm »
Do you know the source of the 1200?  ie. how was it used?
You gotta keep in mind you can get 90% or more of your money back if you decide to get out or upgrade.
I'm guessing a 1200 with a $200+ cart will be hard to beat new.

Apparently only used at home (never in a club) and has an ortofon pro S cartridge ($99 new i think). But one channel cuts out intermittently and needs the rca out to be kept in a particular position to make it work. I suspect a bad solder or broken wire.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm »
The SL-1200 is different than a Rega or ProJect, but a great table nonetheless.

usp1

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm »
The SL-1200 is different than a Rega or ProJect, but a great table nonetheless.

Different in what way? Can you please elaborate?

steve f

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:35 pm »
I think that the Technics 1200 series is superior to the Rega Project stuff. Being one of the old guys on the forums and owning, building, or rehabbing a bunch of tables, I've used a lot of different players. Never had a 1200, but still have a SP-25, the pro version, around. ( currently also AR, Oracle, B&O, Revox, and contemplating building another. ) I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Technics, Denon, Empire, or Thorens off the used market. IMO all are better than any entry tts out there.

Steve

PS: I've heard some good things about the Stanton table. I have yet to know of anyone with personal experience there.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2012, 12:00 am »
I agree with the dark sounding comments, I'd add in a bit vague too.  Tweaks tend to brighten up the sound, sometimes almost too much, losing some bass impact.  And I agree it's still a good value for those getting a good condition one around the $350 mark.  It's a very robust table, not nearly as fiddly as some other models at the same price range and likely to work well even if slightly abused in it's past.  A good recommendation for newbys.  Better in SQ than the cheapest Pro-jects (Debut), not as good as a Rega P-2 or P-3.  However not even close to worth the $800 used and $1200 new prices I see quoted lately.

Minn Mark

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2012, 08:47 pm »
A main difference between the SL1200 and the other tables being disussed is that the Technics is a direct drive TT; others are belt drive.

Mark

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2012, 08:28 pm »
Different in what way? Can you please elaborate?

The 1200 is an SP-25, factory set up for DJ/disco. It has great immunity to feedback, pitch stability, adjust-ability, and VTA on the fly. It does not have a 10 or 30 lb platter for depth and authority, but it also doesn't have the often associated ponderous presentation, speed issues, and lack of PRAT. If the 1200 plinth is overdamped, and the arm wire questionable, it may compliment the sound of some carts/systems and/or be modified. A RP1 ($445) or RP3 ($900) may have a lively sound and not the overdamped/dead tendency, but doesn't hold a candle in timing dept and also needs arm re-wire and aftermarket VTA adjuster. Put a Boston, Delrin or Funk firm mat on the 1200, speed box ($400) for the RP1, rewire both, and then compare. 

I've seen pics of 1200s with SME V, Syrinx and other high end arms. Ridiculous? I'm sure their owners don't think so. Before being discontinued the 1200/1210 went for $500 to $700? Can a similarly priced belt driver keep time like a 1200? Not even with an additional speed box. 

One advantage of the 1200 over vintage DD, it's possible to get one of recent manufacture. All the rest is belt vs direct and YMMV. There is no Rega in this price range that can compete with what the 1200 does right. People have different listening priorities. To each his own. Spend lots of money and those advantages start to disappear.
neo

cindy_leigh

Technics sl-1200
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2012, 08:57 pm »
The Technics SL-1200 series is undoubtedly good stuff, but in the world of performing as an audio component its virtues are often overstated in forums and its shortcomings understated, IMO.  Yes - It keeps good time.  But the level to which that is important is attained by the better belt-drive turntables.  Yes - It's heavy and well damped.  I'm not sure that's helping matters.  Yes - The tonearm has a detachable head and adjustable VTA.  It's still likely the audio Achilles heel of the assembly.  This is all just my opinion, naturally, but I'd rather just put up a bit more money, if that's what it takes to outperform the oddly dark and grainy presentation of the 1200.

TONEPUB

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2012, 09:01 pm »
I really like the 1200 with an external power supply and better tonearm.  It's definitely worthy of the SME, Rega and Funk Firm arms I've attached to mine.

jneutron

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2012, 09:32 pm »
I never liked the 1200's.  When they first came out, I tried mixing on them in a club.  First, the speed control was opposite what I would expect.  And, the darn things locked hard, I couldn't slow the platter down during a mix, so couldn't keep my other hand free for working the lights during the mix for effect..

I loved the SL 5100's.  Strong like a truck, man it would hold speed during a spot, held during scratching, but allowed me to easily drift it's speed up or down. The 1200's would cog.

Sound?  Lord only knows, I used stanton 680ee's in the day. 

Have 3 SL 220's as well, belts died a decade ago.
jn

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm »
Kinda don't think there are a lot of audiophiles looking to DJ with their tables here though...