Headphones and Amps

brooklyn

Headphones and Amps
« on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:36 am »
I recently purchased an Audioengine D1 Dac for my Mac Mini to listen to music while using my computer, I wasn’t impressed even after burn in, so I returned it. The music did sound a little smoother from the D-1 but I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

What do members like in a $300 price range for a headphone amp, with or without a dac.  I have two pairs of headphones, an old pair of AKG K240’s that I use to play my electronic drum and (don't laugh) a pair of Koss Titanium headphones. I bought the Koss on Amazon a while back and for just over 15 bucks I cant complain about the sound which is not bad.

I’ve always been partial to smaller headphones, there more comfortable and the bass was always fine for me. So, any opinions or recommendations about headphones and amps with or without a Dac?

wisnon

Re: Headphones and Amps
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2012, 12:06 pm »
The JVC (Nano carbon) HA S400 and S500 are all the rage at head-fi.org.

The S400 in particular is considered a ginat killer and costs $28 on Amazon. The $55 s500 has bigger bass though, but may be less balanced. Both can be tuned by changing the earpads and they discuss this at length on the head-fi forum.

Someone is selling a good Dac/HP amp combo here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111591.0
$700-

Finally, Ifi Audio has a great Dac/HP amp (iDac) for $300 and a dedicated HP amp (iCan) for $200. Google it.
FB page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/iFiAudio?fref=ts
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2012, 01:59 pm by wisnon »

wisnon

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:26 pm »
I recently purchased an Audioengine D1 Dac for my Mac Mini to listen to music while using my computer, I wasn’t impressed even after burn in, so I returned it. The music did sound a little smoother from the D-1 but I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

What exactly were you expecting of it, just out of curiosity?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:49 pm »
 :thumb: I ordered a JVC nano tube wonder can, :thumb: should be here next week.....I know too many people I trust that are raving about them....we shall see, for 27 bucks its a fun thing to do......thats why I dig headphones.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm »
:thumb: I ordered a JVC nano tube wonder can, :thumb: should be here next week.....I know too many people I trust that are raving about them....we shall see, for 27 bucks its a fun thing to do......thats why I dig headphones.

I was a doubter at first, as you know...I've already sent two pairs out, in addition to the little JVC buds that have the same technology. Again, your Amperiors won't be nervous even a little with the JVCs around, but I really think you'll be surprised what you get for this money. I have been sharing them with coworkers today and they are pretty surprised, as well. These are just very enjoyable headphones...

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2012, 01:38 am »
What exactly were you expecting of it, just out of curiosity?

The D-1 was my first computer outboard dac, so I didn't know what to expect.
There was a lot of good reviews and I had some gift cards and thought, why not.

Your right, I should have known better..

Thanks for all the suggestions, I didn't even know some of this stuff existed,
The JVC S400 looks pretty cool, I might have to get a pair of those.

JP

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2012, 03:21 am »
I really wasn't trying to say you should have known better, I was just wondering what your expectations were. Entry level DACs aren't typically going to make drastic differences in sound quality. Even with flagship/reference quality headphones, the differences aren't nearly as drastic as what some would lead you to believe, IMO. For $160, the D1 is a very solid little piece, but you can't expect miracles, you know? I think you're on the right track focusing more on new headphones and a proper amp to pair with them.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm »
I'm right there with azepp.  Better cans are the biggest difference maker you will
encounter, followed by better amplification and lastly better DAC.  You do certainly
reach a point of diminishing returns, but the cost/return ratio seems to be different
for different individuals.  Welcome!
Hibuck....

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2012, 06:07 am »
Thank you both for those perspectives, they were very enlightening. I will pick out some new headphones in the near future with an amp later on.

I actually like the sound I'm getting straight out of my Mac Mini with the cheap Koss headphone that I use. Gee Whiz, I hope I'm not losing my hearing.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2012, 03:48 pm »
Thank you both for those perspectives, they were very enlightening. I will pick out some new headphones in the near future with an amp later on.

I actually like the sound I'm getting straight out of my Mac Mini with the cheap Koss headphone that I use. Gee Whiz, I hope I'm not losing my hearing.

I've only recently discovered how good the Koss phones are. At the suggestion of a buddy of mine on head-fi, I picked up some Koss TBSE-1s while they were on sale for $49. They can't compete with my better quality headphones, of course, but they are REALLY surprising in terms of their sound quality. The same guy who suggested these has several pairs of the more budget end of the Koss line and he raves about them. He's got Grado RS-1s and some other higher end phones, but the Koss' give him plenty of enjoyment, as well.

Hibuck makes a great point that I totaly agree with about the cost:benefit ratio being different for each person. You may very well find that the gains in sound you'd get from higher end gear just isn't significant enough for you to justify the expense. Honestly? A big part of the reason why I have a couple pairs of higher end headphones is simply because I have some extra disposable income to play around with it. I'm a single, divorced guy with no kids, so sometimes I have some extra to spend on a toy here and there. But if I were on a tighter budget, I could be VERY happy with just my little Grado SR80s that I paid $99 for. In the end (in my opinion) it's always about the music (or movies), not the gear. You don't have to spend much at all in order to get some darn good sound.

You may see in another thread in this forum, myself and one or two others have touted the merits of the JVC S400 headphones. These use some new "carbon nanotube" whatchamajunk technology that I know nothing about. They cost $27...but you know what? They sound REALLY good! I've already sent off two pairs to some lady friends who were plenty happy using their Apple iBuds, but I wanted them to just have a taste of an upgraded sound quality so I sent them each a pair. Neither of them is into audio much, but they both love music, and the feedback I've already received was pretty impressive. They both have fallen in love with these little headphones that were less money than the sales tax that I paid on most of my other pairs lol.

So yeah, don't feel for a minute that you have to spend a lot of money to find enjoyable headphones. If you really enjoy the sound of those little Koss', then that's awesome!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm »
Yep hibuck nailed it, thats why I always look for low cost high return items, thats the fun part for me :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2012, 01:54 pm »
In my case, I'm retiring in a year and sold one of my home audio systems and am using
the money to get some high quality stuff that I am hoping  :roll: will last for a long time.
For me, the best bang for the buck amp I bought is a used Headroom home.  I spent
$200 and it was about four times that when it was new.

One of the fun things about this hobby is that there are so many different "flavors" out there.
If you get a chance to go to a "head-fi" get together, take it.  It will give you a chance to
listen to the high priced spread and evaluate if it's worth it. (to you)
Hibuck....

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:29 pm »
After a dozen or so amps and dacs and 6 sets of cans....

This little gem is the "heat":

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

There is a dac as well called the ODAC:

http://www.jdslabs.com/storecat.php?fetchcat=5

Both can be bought individually or a amp/dac combo from JDS Labs.

The amp also is a DIY project if you like soldering and drilling holes in small enclosures!! LOL.

I have 2 amps and 2 of the dacs, one I built one I bought preassembled.

All the best
Alex

PS: This is the designers blog....60 pages of very interesting and "debate-able" reading....
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:01 pm »
I'm looking to find some comfortable cans for my two systems.  Or maybe I ought to find a single pair that I can move to wherever I'm sitting.  I have a pair of Grado SR60's older version w/deeper pads on the earpieces.  I have two systems both in my signature.  I an presently only using the digital frontends w/ cans.  The Grado is presently running off a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 which just got new tubes.  The DAC in that system is the HRT Music Streamer II playing through Squeezebox Touch running the EDO plug-in.
The bedroom system uses the earlier criticized AudioEngine D1 with Sennheiser HD 202 II.  Again a Squeezebox Touch w/ EDO loaded.
I  recently sold an Odac (sorry but not a very good sounding piece, IMO) and Audio Technica ATH M50's (not my favorites either) so have a little over $200 to spend.  I have been listening more and more to headphones but comfort is getting to be more of consideration.  The amps and digital frontends sound very good to me on both speakers and cans but I think better cans are becoming a clear priority.  I am aware that I'm taking this thread off course but some input would be a help.
Larry

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:46 pm »
Hi Larry....

The most comfortable cans I ever had worn are the AKG 701 and 702's...I had the 702's and have the Q701 version now...they are so light and have a wonderful soundstage.

Sorry you didnt like the ODAC. I have 2 of them and a HRT MSii+.....when I level set the volume I cant tell them apart.

Schiit has a new $99 dac that just was announced....and a $99 amp as well.....lots of posts over headfi on these...made in the USA etc...

All the best
Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:46 pm »
Larry do you like the Grado sound? I for one do and others here also so don't discount them....I'd say SR325's if you have a bit more get PS500 and enjoy them. Zepp has some and loves them, I'll have some soon. Try these JVC HA-S400's for $27 and let them burn in awhile as I am now but out of the box they sound pretty damn good with low end definition like I never hear in this price range. Mine are 15 minutes old and I can hear the potential. There are a ton of great headphones around and if you like the Grado sound then we can get a better idea what may work or not work for you.
 :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:04 pm »

Schiit has a new $99 dac that just was announced....and a $99 amp as well.....lots of posts over headfi on these...made in the USA etc...

All the best
Alex

Yes, and its overhyped already. Thats typical from guys at HF who comment on gear which haven't tried.  :|

Guys here are more realistic  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:56 am »
I have the Grado 325is, Audeze LCD2's, AKG 701's had a set of 702s....

I like them all...they all are different sounding etc...

The Grados are the most uncomfortable set of headphones I ever have had...that said I like the sound.

The 701's with their very light build / weight and very soft head pressure.....is absolutely very light weight feeling and you can wear them for hours unlike the Grados or the LCDs that weigh a ton!! But sound awesome!

Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:46 pm »
If you haven't tried these earpads on your Grado's I highly recommend them. Comfy by leaps and bounds and sound better:
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/grado-earpads-large-pair.php

My very first pair of 60's came here the same day and almost the same time as these pads I ordered for them, never used the flats except to test stuff if these were not available. You may have mentioned that you have these, oh the 325's have them I think so nevermind.....