this just in... (VPI Classic)

SteveRB

this just in... (VPI Classic)
« on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:25 pm »
just picked up a lightly used VPI Classic 1.

i got it for a great price, and it sets up pretty fast. I have to say, all the glowing reviews are proving true. First impressions are: amazing stability and impact. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for other Classic owners out there as the deck settles down over the next week.

Makes me wish I picked this up 2 years ago when I was looking for a new turntable, but I don't feel too bad -- I really got a good price on this one.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2012, 07:07 pm by SteveRB »

Sonny

Re: this just in...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:28 pm »
Congrats!  it's a great table!  I havet the walnut version and like it a lot.  However, it's my second table as my first is a Custom one using VPI JMW10.5i arm, the Classic's aluminum platter and VPI's rim drive.

Anyways, if you have questions, ask!

T

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:35 pm »
Thanks Sonny,

I've been following your custom thread -- It helped me decide to pull the trigger on this deck.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:37 pm »
The Classic is amazing!  if i didn't do the custom, it's already much better than the scout i once had and really rivals the TNT 3.5 i had as well.  The Classic is more musical than the Custom, it's a little warmer and full bodied, even with the Shelter 901 on it.  the arm is basically the same, so, all else being constant, the only difference is the plinth and rim drive
T

orientalexpress

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:50 pm »
The Classic is amazing!  if i didn't do the custom, it's already much better than the scout i once had and really rivals the TNT 3.5 i had as well.  The Classic is more musical than the Custom, it's a little warmer and full bodied, even with the Shelter 901 on it.  the arm is basically the same, so, all else being constant, the only difference is the plinth and rim drive
T
i agree,i was suprise too  :thumb:

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:25 pm »
i agree,i was suprise too  :thumb:

my wife recognized the upgrade as well. She used words like 'focus' and 'presences'; she described the instruments as being 'more defended but adding to a greater whole'.

I like when non-audio people describe the sound differences. i find it to be more genuine and emotive.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2012, 06:38 pm »
Congratulations. I just got a Traveler a few weeks ago and I'm building my phono stage now. My next upgrade after the Traveler will be a Classic 3. Enjoy!

Best,
Anand.

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm »
question,

what cartridge are you using with your classic?

you can see from the photo that I've got a Denon 103 in an aluminum body; it is connected to a vintage Denon Step up transformer. I have to say though that I've lost a bit of volume since mounting it on the Classic. (previously on a 10" Jelco).

This evening I will try adding a little exra mass to the tone arm to help with the compliance and dialling in a bit more tracking force: currently at 2.5 i'll probably start at 2.8 and bring it back as needed...

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2012, 12:22 am »
question,

you can see from the photo that I've got a Denon 103 in an aluminum body; it is connected to a vintage Denon Step up transformer. I have to say though that I've lost a bit of volume since mounting it on the Classic. (previously on a 10" Jelco).

This evening I will try adding a little exra mass to the tone arm to help with the compliance and dialling in a bit more tracking force: currently at 2.5 i'll probably start at 2.8 and bring it back as needed...
good to hear...
well, when i first set it up, it was the Benz Ace L S, that sounded awesome!!!! Right now, Have the Shelter 901 on it.  it's hard to say how they compare as i've since moved and the room now is much smaller, lower ceilings (9 ft as compared to 14ft), hardwood now, it was concrete, etc....  But i love the sound of both.  i have another cart, the ZYX airy 3, but that has not been mounted so I have no clue as to how it's going to sound.  i am using a DIY Pass XONO phono pre into a Pass X1 pre to a Pass X250 amp on diy speakers.

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2012, 12:26 am »
the Benz and Shelter look nice. I have a smaller budget -- will probably be able to grab something more in the spring.

blakep

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:07 am »
question,

While the Classic and 103 in an an aluminum body are both outstanding products, they are probably not that outstanding together.

The 103/Jelco combination is about as good as it gets without spending absolute silly money, especially if the 103 has been rebodied and retipped. The 103, however, is not the greatest match with the VPI arm, especially with the extra mass from the aluminum body. I'd probably look elsewhere in the cartridge department to really make the Classic sing.

2.5 is a bit light on the VTF as welll, even with the Jelco in my experience with the stock Denon stylus. I found 2.6 to be optimal with the Jelco with that stylus so I'd probably look at 2.6-2.7 if you want to stay with that cartridge in the VPI arm.

But you need to add a LOT of mass to the VPI arm to get it into the territory of a 10" 750. Probably close to 10 grams and the VPI arm is probably not designed for that.

twitch54

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:31 am »
Steve, Congrats ! ....from another happy VPI owner (Aries III, 10.5, 'super platter', perf ring, SDS, Benz/Micro) as well as a happy user of Tuan's interconnect from my tt to phono-pre !

Wasatch

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:33 am »
Beautiful, Congrats!

Sonny

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2012, 05:03 am »
the Benz and Shelter look nice. I have a smaller budget -- will probably be able to grab something more in the spring.

You can always buy used!  There's a Benz Ace SH right now for like $600 on audiogon.  Honestly, I had a Zu 103 as well on my 10.5i stainless tonearm, it was nice, the stainless steel worked well...but ultimately, I wanted a sound that was more detail, transparent, more speed and transient. Anyways, it wasn't for me...but many love it.
T

SteveRB

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2012, 11:55 pm »
Blake, thanks for your comments. I agree whole hearted with your post while plowing ahead with my tinkering.

VPI ships a 5 gram stainless weight for the head for lower compliance carts. I installed it last night and upped the tracking to 2.8. The added weight plus the aluminum body is a fair amount mass.

Results are good. The character of the denon 103 is back to where it should be. I had a friend over last night and went through a ton of records, all over the map: modern, 60s, 70s, 80s, modern, mono, hip hop, rock, folk...

We were both left not wanting much with the sound. I can probably live with this arm/cart combo for the next year. My next purchase will probably be a new amp (14watts/channel is leaving me wanting a bit more volume in my main room).

Thanks again. ...what a nice deck for setting up and swapping parts quick and efficient.

blakep

« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:09 am »
Blake, thanks for your comments. I agree whole hearted with your post while plowing ahead with my tinkering.

VPI ships a 5 gram stainless weight for the head for lower compliance carts. I installed it last night and upped the tracking to 2.8. The added weight plus the aluminum body is a fair amount mass.

Results are good. The character of the denon 103 is back to where it should be. I had a friend over last night and went through a ton of records, all over the map: modern, 60s, 70s, 80s, modern, mono, hip hop, rock, folk...

We were both left not wanting much with the sound. I can probably live with this arm/cart combo for the next year. My next purchase will probably be a new amp (14watts/channel is leaving me wanting a bit more volume in my main room).

Thanks again. ...what a nice deck for setting up and swapping parts quick and efficient.

No problem. You might still want to try backing off the VTF on the 103 but you may actually be around 2.6 anyway as the VPI arm may overread a touch for VTF anyway.

Once you log 800-1000 hours on the Zu 103 the one thing that I would definitely recommend to you is to send it off to Soundsmith for either their $250 or $350 retip (I have two 103R's here with the $250 retip, one in aluminum and one in ebony). You'll be shocked at how much better the cartridge gets and there is nothing that you can buy for the outlay of $250 that comes remotely close to what you will have in the end if you like the cartridge now.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:34 am »
No problem. You might still want to try backing off the VTF on the 103 but you may actually be around 2.6 anyway as the VPI arm may overread a touch for VTF anyway.

Once you log 800-1000 hours on the Zu 103 the one thing that I would definitely recommend to you is to send it off to Soundsmith for either their $250 or $350 retip (I have two 103R's here with the $250 retip, one in aluminum and one in ebony). You'll be shocked at how much better the cartridge gets and there is nothing that you can buy for the outlay of $250 that comes remotely close to what you will have in the end if you like the cartridge now.
That's something I would consider as well.  I believe the Soundsmith mod consists of a ruby cantilever and a fineline stylus :dunno:.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2012, 03:45 am »
You're stylin', SteveRB!  VPI knocked it out of the park with that one.

I pair mine with a Denon DL-160 (a HO moving coil with van den Hul boron stylus) and it sounds great.  Keep thinkin about getting another arm and mounting the beloved Grado1 with Longhorn mod and upgraded stylus to hot swap out for kicks.

But, it sounds so decidedly decent now that I don't obsess about it much.  Harry outdid himself with the Classic1 :thumb:

SteveRB

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:26 pm »

Blake,

That sounds like a decent idea. I can likely do that in the new year. I am currently also breaking in a new pair of speakers (see V1 Build thread in the GR research circle), so I want to make sure I have a couple hundred hours on them before changing too much else.

You can always buy used!  There's a Benz Ace SH right now for like $600 on audiogon.

I love the used market, but not too sure about carts... that's one piece I have only ever bought new. I think I would need to buy from a trusted friend to go that route.

I got the Classic for a song from a young guy who  (didn't need the money) and was just happy to sell locally and not have to ship it.

You're stylin', SteveRB!  VPI knocked it out of the park with that one...  Harry outdid himself with the Classic1

seems that way -- it is almost universally admired with fantastic build quality. I couldn't imagine who would not appreciate this deck; even more so once price is factored in... I have a feeling this is one deck that I will keep around for a long time. I like the old idlers and a few other interesting turntables, but the Classic is just solid and reliable enough to stay in the system as a decent reference.

Realistically, I'm not sure I even want to spend time and money upgrading: ring clamps, heavy centre weights, SDS... I may consider some of these if the price was just right but I get the feeling that there may be diminishing returns. Especially since the Classic offers so much value out of the box.

Sonny

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:57 pm »
Steve, I have a ring clamp and i think its nice to have, but I wouldn't worry about spending cash on it. 
Regarding the SDS and center weight, hold off, the classic sounds great the way it is.  you'd be better off getting a better cart, IMO, and or a phono cable and pre...don't know what you are using now but it may make a difference.

Tuan