this just in... (VPI Classic)

SteveRB

Re: this just in... (VPI Classic)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:03 pm »
Tuan,

Makes sense. Good to hear it from another listener. I currently use a vintage Denon Step up with the 103. That goes straight into a re-build Eico HF81 phono stage (also re-built). I love this amp and will likely keep it for a long time. But I would like to get into a more modern phono amp (Allnic maybe) and more powerful integrated amp (Leben maybe) for my main system. Currently though, I and spending more of my budget on records !

Sonny

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:25 pm »
steve, what loading does the denon demand?  I have a DIY phono (Joe Curcio  design) that I can lend you.  Currently it's loarded at 280 ohms or something.

t

SteveRB

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:47 pm »
steve, what loading does the denon demand?  I have a DIY phono (Joe Curcio  design) that I can lend you.  Currently it's loarded at 280 ohms or something.

that's very generous -- thanks

it's been a while since I went through the loading calculations and research but I remember following something like this:
The stock 103's output impedance is 40 ohms so look to load it between 100 and 400 ohms.

Most guys settle around 100-200 ohms I believe...

Sonny

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm »
that's very generous -- thanks

it's been a while since I went through the loading calculations and research but I remember following something like this:
The stock 103's output impedance is 40 ohms so look to load it between 100 and 400 ohms.

Most guys settle around 100-200 ohms I believe...

well then, if you'd like, you can borrow it ....  i'll go home tonight and check for sure to see where's it's loaded at.
you can look in my gallery and see it as well. it's under DIY
tuan

SteveRB

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:59 pm »
well then, if you'd like, you can borrow it ....  i'll go home tonight and check for sure to see where's it's loaded at.
you can look in my gallery and see it as well. it's under DIY
tuan

thanks, that's amazing. PM sent.

SteveRB

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2012, 10:36 pm »
I'm more than a week in with the Classic. Still enjoying it quite a bit -- actually a bit addictive.

I reworked the connection between my integrated amp and my Servo sub amps this weekend. I tried coming off the speaker posts to the high level input on the servos instead of the pre-amp to the low level inputs. The result was more output from my pre-amp to the power amp: more volume, and cleaner sound. It really opened up the highs and mids a fair amount.

Question:

I had a VPI Arise 2 which had three grooves that were noticeably different diameters (for adjusting speeds). The motor pulley on the Classic has three groves for the belt (on the 33rpm size) that all appear to be the same diameter... am I blind or are they just very similarly sized?

SteveRB

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2013, 12:48 am »
Hello again,

I have been running the Classic for a while now. It's excellent, don't think I can add anything new to what has already been written about this deck.

I do have a question, hoping someone may provide a little assistance. In my quest for a new cart I have been doing a tone of research (everything leads me to believe I have to audition at home but that's not always possible). That said, I do respect the opinions of those reading this thread and am willing to take calculated risks. I am seriously considering an ZYX R100 for my Classic. Any one with direct experience with this combo?

Thanks again,

SteveRB

Re: this just in...
« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:25 am »
Steve, I have a ring clamp and i think its nice to have, but I wouldn't worry about spending cash on it. 
Regarding the SDS and center weight, hold off, the classic sounds great the way it is.  you'd be better off getting a better cart, IMO, and or a phono cable and pre...don't know what you are using now but it may make a difference.

Tuan

Tuan,

Thanks for the help. I'm listening to a slightly used Shelter 501 II. It is awesome.

Sonny

Re: this just in...
« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:31 am »
Tuan,

Thanks for the help. I'm listening to a slightly used Shelter 501 II. It is awesome.

Sure, you are welcome Steve!  So, the 501 mkii should be a great match for the Classic and JMW arm.  Just make sure your VTF is on the high end of the Shelter's recommendation, I believe about 1.9 grams or so.  This helps as the Shelter compliance is only a 9 or so and needs a medium mass tonearm.  What are you loading it at?  I find 100 ohms works best, sometimes even 50 ohms, if you want a little more "lush" to the sound.

SteveRB

« Reply #29 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:46 am »
I have the VTF at 1.8 right now with the VPI 3 gram weight under the head shell. The arm is a little tilted up right now. i found it a bit dark when the arm was parallel. The pre is loaded at 100ohms.

-- I have just started to settle in and listen. Karen Dalton (LITA 022) is jumping of the record and sounding great. The sound stage is big side to side and went back a couple feet as well. Plenty of low end and smooth top to bottom. A little extra surface noise but the high highs are dancing all over the place.

Sonny

« Reply #30 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:13 am »
Steve, that works...I had one of those 3 gram weights as well.

Everything should sound "marvelous"!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 7 Mar 2013, 07:35 am »
duplicate
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2013, 08:58 pm by jimdgoulding »

Scotlynn

« Reply #32 on: 8 Mar 2013, 01:53 pm »
Thanks for this thread, Steve - its also been very helpful for me since I just pick up the exact same deck (lightly used and in mint condition) and it's sitting in the boxes for the last few days while I also consider a new cartridge. I've been using a Clearaudio Concept with a Maestro and am torn between mounting the Maestro on the Classic or selling the Maestro with the Concept since they're a great match and using the money for a new cartridge. Lots of talk around about the Soundsmith Zephyr with the Classic, and I happen to live about 20 minutes from Soundsmith's shop, so may head in that direction. Also saw a used Soundsmith Boheme that I'm tempted to try. What I want to avoid is anything too bright. I'm running an all tube system, but have some very detailed planars, so wanted something a little laid back. I'm worried the Zephyr might be a bit too detailed for me.   

Syrah

« Reply #33 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:06 pm »
This is coincidental since I've been playing around with my Classic and a 501II as well.  Last night I loaded it with even more mass by using extra long screws and using two brass nuts (larger thread than the screws) as washers.  I did this after looking at the Vinyl Engine cartridge reasonance evaluator and figuring that I need more mass.  I bought four nuts, but two nuts and the 3g VPI weight seemed to be the magic number.  The nuts and screws weighed in at about 4-5g, plus the 3g weight, put me at about 8g.  When you add the weight of the Shelter (8g) you get to 16g.  Which is about where you want to be for a 9cu cartridge on a 12g effective mass arm.  Doing this seemed to flush out the mid bass better.  Total cost was 30c.

SteveRB

« Reply #34 on: 8 Mar 2013, 08:36 pm »
I considered the soundsmith carts as well as the matching Dynavector. The Shelter 501 just showed up in my price range so I pulled the trigger. Everyone I spoke to regarding a cart for the Classic said it would be tough to go wrong with any of them. More about personal taste than what's 'best'.

If you can try it out with little investment, might as well. Similarly, if a Dyna, Glider or soundsmith came available at a reasonable cost, I'd probably give it a shot.

For me the 501 really took everything up a notch. It gave the music an instant holographic effect. It is super smooth with tons of low end authority. Maybe a little too much surface noise but I can look past that. I think I am happy where it is now. I may try a bit more mass (nuts) and dial in a bit more vtf. But all and all it is very enjoyable.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:19 pm »
I'm running an all tube system, but have some very detailed planars, so wanted something a little laid back. I'm worried the Zephyr might be a bit too detailed for me.

Scot,

Too much detail shouldn't be a problem (or else why buy detailed planers?).  The problem to watch out for is too much brightness or distortion.  Detail can be achieved in all frequency ranges without unwanted brightness or distortion.  I don't think you need to worry about the Zephyr. My guess is you'll like it very much with the VPI.  :thumb:

Cheers!

Scott

orthobiz

« Reply #36 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm »
I am liking my Zephyr at about 40 hours break in with Van Alstine phono/pre/amp running a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. I have a 10.5i arm on an HW-19 with a Classic platter.

Paul

Syrah

« Reply #37 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm »
The one I'd love to try (because it's so different from the 501) is the Dynavector 17D3.  It has rave review and seems to be a great match for the Classic arm.  I'd love to hear that compared to the Zephyr.

Scotlynn

« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2013, 11:21 pm »
I was also looking at a Soundsmith modded Denon 103. (Sorry Steve, don't mean to hijack your thread!). There's one listed now (Single Crystal" Ruby cantilever with a Nude Contact Line Diamond) mounted in a African Blackwood body that I'm tempted to try out. Anyone with any experience with these modded 103's on the Classic?

orthobiz

« Reply #39 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:25 am »
Mike at VPI talked me out of a new centerweight; I have the delrin kind that screws on. He says it just has to snug the label a little bit.

I like the periphery ring a lot because it really flattens warped records. I bought a B-stock from VPI at a discount. I remarked how clever I was to my 18 year old, pointing out that for a B-stock item it really was perfect.

Without blinking an eye, she immediately pointed out a tiny but chunky ding on the outer part of the ring!

Oh well, it works just fine!

Paul