Which speaker company made great bookshelf speakers years ago? Models?

geowak

Which speaker company made great bookshelf speakers 20 to 40 years ago? Models?

I know that JBL, Altec Lansing and some other companies offered good bookshelf speakers in the good old days, but what other companies offered good sounding speakers? And what models?

Technics, Marantz, Klipsch, Sony, Polk, Kef, Fisher, others?

Doublej

East Coast - EPI, AR and Burhoe Acoustics
West Coast - Infinity

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Celestion SL6/SL600
Allison Four
Snell Type K

groovybassist

Spica:  TC-50 and TC-60

SoCalWJS

Advent
AR

TomS

Dynaco A25
Small Advent

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
A/D/S?

dB Cooper

I second the nominations of Dyna A25 and Allison Four, having owned both. AR4ax was another good one.

guest61169

Spica TC-50, ProAc Tablette, Rogers LS3/5A.

Bemopti123

EPOS, the older line Made in the UK.  ES11, ES14.

medium jim

As already noted, A/D/S, Dynaco A25, and add JBL L66 and Radio Shack Minimus 7.  The RS Minimus 7's are really small, computer speaker sized, but pack a big sound.

Jim

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
I still like my Tangent RS-2 which are still in use since purchased in the early 1980s. I'm told, however, that they aren't the most revealing when compared with present technology.

RDavidson

EPI 100's
KEF 103.2

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Advent...as mentioned.

Canton....M&K....I forgot what models :duh:...owned both brands.

"Crazy Eddie" sold a lot of JBL and ...Cerwin Vega speakers.. :lol:

Vintage speaker link....HERE...

Another list....HERE...

silver_strings

KRK had some nice passive speakers

jimdgoulding

Curious here, Geo.  Why do you ask?

jonbee

All through the late 60s, 70s and 80s I bought many of the audiophile darlings, beginning with the Dynaco A-25 in 1968, which had full bass and mids, but gritty highs. My references of the day were Infinity 2001A 'stat hybrids, which was Infinity's second product, bought in 1969 (pretty big for bookshelves, though, and at ~$675, where 5x the cost of A25s, which hit the market at $116/pr.). Most speakers, even expensive, touted models, always seemed too colored and lacked the kind of transparency I found in 'stats. The best small speaker of the era overall to me was the Spica TC-50, IMO. A bit lean overall, but great imaging that at least hinted at what 'stats provided at a very attractive size and cost. I owned Tangent RS4s, which were very enjoyable as well. The Harbeth HL, their first model, though not really a bookshelf speaker, was a breakthrough speaker in its day for a conventional design. That speaker, along with the Inf. 2000A and Apogee Divas, top my "wish I hadn't sold them" list. The Dayton-Wright LCM bookshelf was very good as well- I replaced TC-50s with them, though very rare today. The Fulton 80 was also very good in its' limited range. I owned but never warmed up to the LS3/5a, but I thought the KEF Reference 101, of similar size and using the same KEF drivers, was better balanced and is a very good small speaker which maintains good value today.

medium jim

Advent...as mentioned.

Canton....M&K....I forgot what models :duh:...owned both brands.

"Crazy Eddie" sold a lot of JBL and ...Cerwin Vega speakers.. :lol:

Vintage speaker link....HERE...

Another list....HERE...

Oh yeah, Canton's....I had a pair of Plus C's that were nice with their subs....

Jim

dynaflo

Mission

geowak

Curious here, Geo.  Why do you ask?

I really have trouble spotting good deals on older speakers. I picked up a pair of Marantz sp208 bookshelf speakers at a cd store used for $25 but realized once opened they had realistic tweeters.
Wondered if they were worth the effort to upgrade drivers or crossover, or just look for
another quality vintage brand??