Which speaker company made great bookshelf speakers years ago? Models?

milford3

I owned the Genesis model  11 in the early 1980's.  I loved them.

frank111

A buddy of mine, late 70's or early 80 had a pair of Koss speakers hanging in rope flower baskets in the corners of his dorm room. 2 mid/low drivers with a tweeter in the middle, the drivers were stacked vertically, in a really nice wood enclosure. I dont recall the model but obviously they made an impact on me both sonically & visually.

timind

• permanent vacation
As they're out of business I'll call it years ago. My favorite is Meadowlark Audio. I still use a pair of Kestrels. Just a fantastic little speaker that works well in small rooms.
Another long time favorite is Polk Audio. I  had a pair of the Monitor 7s back in the 70s and loved them.

JEaton

Genesis Physics was another of that New England family of speaker companies. I had a pair of Genesis Physics II that I bought in the fall of 1979 and dearly regret giving away about fifteen years ago. I recently found a nice pair of Genesis I's that I haven't yet refoamed.

simoon

Dick Sequerra - Metronome 7

Very dynamic for a small speaker, and imaged like hell. Not quite as good an image as the Spica's, but they made up for it in detail.

FireGuy

Milford3 - Wow, remember these Genesis quite well.  They were beautifully tuned speakers with exceptional detail and clarity for its day.  If you can somehow round these up again let me know.

Telstar

Linn Kan.

frank111

I remember hearing the Gale speakers with chrome ends thinking they sounded very nice.  If you were around the Oklahoma area you might have heard Norman Labratories speakers which had a good following.
I remember listening to them in the middle to late 70's- the Gale GS401's, with black grills, chrome stands &  chrome speaker enclosure ends. The audio shop owner felt they were the best in its price class. I actually found a video on youtube a while ago & inquired if the owner wanted to sell them, but sadly there was no response.

toocool4

Personally I don’t like the word bookshelf, because it does a disservice to the speakers. I have not heard a stand mount speakers that performs on a bookshelf yet, so I prefer to call them stand mount.

I use to have the original Neat Petite speakers.

I also remember lusting after Acoustic Energy AE1

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Personally I don’t like the word bookshelf, because it does a disservice to the speakers. I have not heard a stand mount speakers that performs on a bookshelf yet, so I prefer to call them stand mount.

Ha!  I was thinking this very thing last night looking at some large "stand mount" speakers in my HT. 

Douger

Tannoy 1972 12" Monitor Gold Mallorcan!

bunky

Polk Monitor 7's sounded great and were made locally here in Baltimore.i also remember liking some of the small Infinity speakers.

sunnydaze

Not so long ago, but JM Reynaud Twins.  Very present, sublimely musical.  The SQ they provide makes 'em a  steal at their used prices.

Owned them years ago, sold them.  Bought em again recently, still use them in a bedroom system.

timind

• permanent vacation
Dick Sequerra - Metronome 7

Very dynamic for a small speaker, and imaged like hell. Not quite as good an image as the Spica's, but they made up for it in detail.

Don't really want to bash them but I bought a pair of these a couple years ago and could never get them to make music. I swear I've had little plastic computer speakers that sounded better. Of course everyone has different taste so YMMV.

bummrush

Clements d i series

Doublej

Don't really want to bash them but I bought a pair of these a couple years ago and could never get them to make music. I swear I've had little plastic computer speakers that sounded better. Of course everyone has different taste so YMMV.

You may not want to bash Sequerra but you have a need to bash them. You should explore this with your therapist.

frankmarsi

New here, but I just gotta say: I can't believe that no one mentioned Acoustic Research had one third of the speaker market from the late fifties through out the mid to late sixties.
AR3a,5,2x,4x were the big sellers and industry standards around the globe.
fm

Poultrygeist

Anyone remember Frazier speakers?

The Mark 4's were my first purchase starting a new job out of college. They had to be around 95 dbs with a nice big horn.

I believe they were made in Dallas, Texas.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Anyone remember Frazier speakers?

The Mark 4's were my first purchase starting a new job out of college. They had to be around 95 dbs with a nice big horn.

I believe they were made in Dallas, Texas.

Yeah, I remember them, they are still in existence as a commercial speaker manufacturer.  From their website:

"Jack Frazier began manufacturing commercial loudspeakers around 1952 in Dallas, Texas. During the 1960s and 70s, the company offered consumer hi-fi loudspeakers in addition to its line of commercial products. The company operated under Jack's leadership until his death in 1983. It was then purchased by a small group of individual investors. This group operated the company until May 1986.

Sound-Craft Systems of Morrilton, Arkansas, purchased the company's assets in 1986, at which time Frazier, Incorporated was dissolved and the operation moved to Morrilton, Arkansas. The company's product line at the time consisted mostly of designs that had originated in the 1950s and 1960s. Documentation of many of these earlier products was apparently either nonexistent or was not provided to the new owners. Development of the current line of professional audio loudspeakers was begun at that time.

On March 1, 1998, Frazier Loudspeakers moved to its current location in Dallas, Texas.

We are committed to providing parts and service support for Frazier products manufactured since 1986.

Supplies of replacement parts for all Frazier products manufactured prior to 1986 have been exhausted."

http://www.frazierspeakers.com/

This is close to the ones I remember:

And here's a vintage page for them:

http://itishifi.blogspot.com/2010/05/frazier-loudspeakers-dallas-tx.html

SoCalWJS

New here, but I just gotta say: I can't believe that no one mentioned Acoustic Research had one third of the speaker market from the late fifties through out the mid to late sixties.
AR3a,5,2x,4x were the big sellers and industry standards around the globe.
fm
Mentioned in (at least) the very first and fourth replies in the thread.