This is my set up, what would you change or up grade first.

auntrabbit

hafler 100 preamp,  hafler 220 amp with legend mod,  dcm timewindows speakers,  an old magnavox cd player

dB Cooper

Re: This is my set up, what would you change or up grade first.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:03 am »
If the maggotbox has a digital out, i might start with a good DAC. Audio by Van Alstine may still be able to gut the 220 and put modern circuits in it (they won't be doing future development for these old chassis but probably have some current-gen circuits that would be a nice upgrade). The DH-100 is probably at the end of the road. The time windows I'd decide about after hearing them though a new front end.

JerryLove

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:20 am »
hafler 100 preamp,  hafler 220 amp with legend mod,  dcm timewindows speakers,  an old magnavox cd player
That would depend on what you are currently unhappy with and what the condition of the actual gear is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hafler gear is, well, old. If you have not had that serviced (recapped, etc) in the last decade or two; it might be a good candidate for replacement or overhaul. But if it's fully operational; and you are happy with its performance, I see no point in fixing what isn't broke.

I don't know how old the Magnavox CD player is, but if we are discussing what was a lo-fi brand from the early days of CD technology, you might get an audible boost for the cost of a $30 used Integra or Sony CD player at a pawn shop. Perhaps upgrade to a modern BD player and get the ability to run DVD-A, BD-A, and possibly SACDs.

But if none of the above are defective, and you aren't looking for new functionality (like SACDs); then the only real spot to spend to change your performance is on your speakers and on your room.

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:31 am »
Id give one of the $200 Oppo players a go...

That Hafler 100 is a pretty darn good preamp for the $$. 

The rest of the system is pretty well matched, anything you upgrade is going to require going
further, so you might want to try the CD player and call it a day.

How long have all the cables been plugged in?  Perhaps a quick swipe with DeOxit might not
be a bad idea, and that will only cost you a few bucks...

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:17 am »
I agree, ditch the old CDP.  I would look for a AH Tjoeb modded Marantz CDP that has ECC88 tubes. They show up now and then on eBay and AudiogoN for under $500.00 are are outstanding.

Jim

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:21 am »
I like improving the dac.  Many of us have an extra setting around- I've got a Monica2 that's not being used.  There should be lots of used options out there that would be a big step up from whats in the Magnavox.  Used Oppo and a used dac should give you lots of improvement for little $.

Scott

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:37 am »
Another reason for the ah Tjoeb, besides the power supply, the DAC is also upgraded and nothing beats tubes for depth.

Jim

JerryLove

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:43 am »
I dunno. Good off-axis performance and proper speaker placement seems to do very well for depth.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:44 am »
You can buy a much better CD player used on eBay for $80 average.
Plenty of used five disc machines like the SCD595ES are great.
Yamaha 700 series or 800 series. 730, 740, 830, 840
Used Sony SCD333ES for $200
Or a used Denon DVD 3910 should be $200 to $250 (use to play CDs.)
Any of those would be great.
Keep the other stuff for now. Your weakest link is definitely the CD player.
And I would NOT say keep it and buy a DAC. no.
Then maybe a $100 Power conditioner. An Adcom AC 515, or 315. You may not notice a power conditioner much considering the stuff you own. But it might be a little help.

Anyway, the Cd player is way at the top of any list for replacement. I would start there.

Your Hafler stuff is decent old stuff. I owned a Hafler and it was  a great preamp.
The DCM timewindows had a good reputation years ago. And after the CD player, is what I would consider replacing, but not in any hurry to do so. It would be more of the luck of finding something great used, locally cheap.
I would not get crazy searching.. Just if you ran into something.

The a few bucks on entry level cables. Two pair is all you need. Kimber PBJ. Tonic, Blue Jeans..
Not more than a $100 a pair.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2012, 06:22 am »
You can buy a much better CD player used on eBay for $80 average.
Plenty of used five disc machines like the SCD595ES are great.
Yamaha 700 series or 800 series. 730, 740, 830, 840
Used Sony SCD333ES for $200
Or a used Denon DVD 3910 should be $200 to $250 (use to play CDs.)
Any of those would be great.

...The a few bucks on entry level cables. Two pair is all you need. Kimber PBJ. Tonic, Blue Jeans..
Not more than a $100 a pair.
I agree with most of this, just not sure that a newer used cd would match a used Oppo ($80-100) and a used 4-5 yr old dac ($50-150).  $300 buys dvd, dac, and used cables and gets a real upgrade.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:03 pm »
Id give one of the $200 Oppo players a go...

That Hafler 100 is a pretty darn good preamp for the $$. 

The rest of the system is pretty well matched, anything you upgrade is going to require going
further, so you might want to try the CD player and call it a day.

Wise advice here.

I've been very impressed with the Beresford DAC for the money.  As said before, if you're player has a digital out the addition of a good dac will give you lots of bang for the buck.  If not an all-in-one like the recommended Oppo (I wouldn't get anything below the 83 personally - $325 here in the trading post) would be the way to go.

auntrabbit

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:14 pm »
Thanks to all, the cd player does not have digtal out. So I will be looking for a OPPO . Any other help would be much appreciated. I had a turntable, Thornes and about 100 LP's but during a move thay all walked away. So CD's are all I have. Thinking about going digital. Any ideas on that, good,bad,?        Thanks again for your help for the knew guy.

simoon

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:35 pm »
As far as that Hafler preamp goes, you might want to check out this seller on ebay - ray17760

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ray17760/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

He sells upgrade kits for a lot of Hafler gear. I've used his kits on a couple of DH-500 amps with noticeable improvements. Unfortunately, he does not currently have kits for the Hafler 100, but if you send him a message, he'll let you know when he'll have more.

The biggest problem with your Hafler 100 is that those decades old caps (which weren't hi quality in the first place) are now out of tolerance. Replacing them with new, hi quality audio grade caps will improve the sound.

This route requires a little DIY, but very good instructions are included.

You'd be surprised how good that Hafler can sound with a little work.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:28 pm »
Perhaps get the Oppo, get your Hafler stuff brought up to snuff and then uneeda good turntable!

auntrabbit

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm »
Thanks again for your help. I was looking at the oppo site and was wondering which moddle you might recomend  for my system? 95,103,105. It seelllms the 83and 93 are discontinued. Should I look for a used oppo any number.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec 2012, 12:06 am »
I don't think you'd go wrong with an 83SE or a 95. 

silver_strings

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2012, 08:54 am »
Id get an audio alchemy pro cd player

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:02 pm »
Having built both  the 100 & 220 kits back in the day I'd agree they are both candidates for service, but as generally noted the CD player would probably be the 1st point of upgrade. By all accounts the Oppo is probably the best player/integrated DAC for the buck. Without any digital out the Magnavox is definitely the weakest link. As noted by several updating the 100 would probably be next. I loved mine, except for the cold solder I made that I could never find. Then again I traded it against a factory built 110, which also showed up with a cold solder after a while and the 'factory' couldn't find that one either.

If all is good there then Frank's 'rebuild' of the 220 is a very cost effective way to boost & improve the amp. That was the 1st thing I did 6 years ago when I decided to get back into the 'hobby'. The Blue Jeans cables are very cost effective, and relatively speaking inexpensive. Take it a step at a time so you can hear the changes and enjoy the improvements without getting caught up in the expense. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:11 pm »
  AS most have said the CDP is the candidate for replacement. Just depends on your budget. We like either the EE DAC+ or the Tranquility DACs. [ not dealers]. If your into computer audio then no transport. If you decide upon a DAC in lieu of a CDP an older oppo just may be the ticket.

charles

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2012, 09:53 pm »
The first thing to do is get a can of Caig Labs D-5 Deoxit spray cleaner and spray into all the controls, switches, and jacks on your DH-100 and then cycle each of them 25 times or so.

With a DH-100 that old, contact oxidation is probably getting in the way of the music now.  Use Deoxit on the input and output terminals of your amp and speakers too, along with the fuse holders.

I like the idea of the Oppo.

If you have the schematic and kit build manual of your Hafler preamp, check and find the part numbers of the linear op amps in the circuit.  If they are socketed, then likely replacement of the proper ones with OPA627 type could be quite useful.  If you want to find the part numbers, give me a call and I can suggest modern replacements if possible.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine
651-330-9871