This is my set up, what would you change or up grade first.

jimdgoulding

Re: This is my set up, what would you change or up grade first.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm »
  AS most have said the CDP is the candidate for replacement. Just depends on your budget. We like either the EE DAC+ or the Tranquility DACs. [ not dealers]. If your into computer audio then no transport. If you decide upon a DAC in lieu of a CDP an older oppo just may be the ticket.

charles
Yep, CDP upfront, no pun intended.  Don't know what kind of budget you have.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2012, 12:10 am »
No no no!  Depending on what old Marantz CDP you have it might be a gem.  The big movement in non-oversampling DACs is in love with the TDA1541 DAC chipsets that many of these old units have, CD-75 thru CD-99 SE and CD273 thru CD883 may have used these chipsets (there are exceptions, and some later units used the TDA1541A).  Here's a complete list: http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

WC

« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:26 am »
No no no!  Depending on what old Marantz CDP you have it might be a gem.  The big movement in non-oversampling DACs is in love with the TDA1541 DAC chipsets that many of these old units have, CD-75 thru CD-99 SE and CD273 thru CD883 may have used these chipsets (there are exceptions, and some later units used the TDA1541A).  Here's a complete list: http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

The OP was talking about a Magnavox DVD player that should be upgraded. Where did you get the Marantz CDP idea from.

WireNut

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2012, 04:43 am »

Auntrabbit,

Dude, I haven't read all of the other post yet, but from your 1st post I would put
a tube preamp in place of the Hafler pre. Purchase a used tube preamp for approx $750.00 to start
out with. You well be glad you did.

SJ......