SS8 Owners, to toe in or not to toe in

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
SS8 Owners, to toe in or not to toe in
« on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:39 am »
Hello All,
I was looking at all the posted pics of the SS8s in your homes and I noticed that the SS8s (and most songtowers etc) are all placed straight on in the room with no toe in. Is that because the Salks image better than other speakers or no one likes to toe in their speakers? In my current set up, my B&W 803 matrix speakers like toe in to get that sweet center image...Just wondering about things as I wait patiently for my speakers to get finished.. Thanks, Pete

ricardojoa

Re: SS8 Owners, to toe in or not to toe in
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:11 am »
 I find my ST to be able to through out sound that i only need a slight toe in. The rule would be what best sounds to you.
Wether toe in or not depends you speaker placement, distance from each other and distance from listening spot.

glangford

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2012, 11:10 am »
I use a slight amount, about 10 degrees. If you look at a picture you'd probably say its none, but its there. I'm still experimenting and haven't yet tried no toe-in.  I'll give it a shot this afternoon and post results.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2012, 11:14 am »
Thanks for the replies. I hope to get the placement right with least amount of tries since they weigh in at 126 lbs :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm »
About 3 degrees.

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:56 pm »

JerryLove

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2012, 01:24 pm »
I never tried not toe-in.

Tweeters are pointed at the center listening position.

As long as the off-axis performance is good enough and similar enough between the drivers, toe-in would not be needed.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2012, 01:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I hope to get the placement right with least amount of tries since they weigh in at 126 lbs :)

:D  Best wishes with that.  Mine are only about 3-4 degrees.  It won't be fun toeing in 126 lbs speakers, but it'l be worth it when you find that perfect amount.

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:40 pm »
Mine are about 5°. 

JerryLove

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2012, 06:03 pm »
I'm not sure I could eyeball the difference between 0% and 3%.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2012, 06:22 pm »
The response of virtually all of the Salk speakers is at least as smooth at 15 degrees off axis as on axis.  I can't imagine that slight toe-ins would have any impact on the sound.  I really think it's a matter of sight over matter.  If you like the way they look with a little toe in, then go ahead.  If you like them straight ahead, then that's how they should go. 

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2012, 06:33 pm »
.......The rule would be what best sounds to you.
Wether toe in or not depends you speaker placement, distance from each other and distance from listening spot.

+1

With my HT2-TLs in my setup/room I obtained better results with a wide stance and fairly aggressive toe in.

Furniture sliders work great for this.  Once you find the sweet spot, just remove the sliders. :thumb:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:55 pm »
Ooooooh furniture sliders.....great idea. I just checked my build status. I am at sealer session 4. Yea me!

guf

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:22 pm »
I'm less than a week of ownership I go between slight and none. I've been using these from the local hardware store: makes adjustments much easier.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:05 am »
I will get some of those to slide around the SS8s..great!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:01 am »
Check out herbie's super gliders
Audiophile quality work great with salks

glangford

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2012, 10:53 am »
I do something similar with my SCST.  I have hardwood under the speakers (area rug doesn't go all the way to speakers)  I didn't install spikes and put small felt pads under each corner of plinth. They have a little stick to them so then stay in place on the plinth. I can move them around very easily now, which if I'm doing something with wiring I have to. I use audyssey so I need to get them back in the same place. I put a couple of small dots of a sticker on the floor at each rear corner so if I need to pull them out for something I can get them back in precisely the same place.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2012, 11:19 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I figure I'm using 20 degrees toe in with my current speakers. The tweeters are aimed to the outside of each ear.  It should be labor of love to move the SS8s around until I find the perfect image. Man I'm getting excited. I can hardly wait for them to get here.

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:58 pm »
I'm less than a week of ownership I go between slight and none. I've been using these from the local hardware store: makes adjustments much easier.

Those look much like the ones I use with my HT2-TLs.  Worked out great......cheap and effective. :thumb:

vintagebob

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2012, 08:46 pm »
Check out herbie's super gliders
Audiophile quality work great with salks

The Herbie Sliders didn't work for me with the SS10s.  The speakers are just too heavy.